Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who is reading this and doesn't know, the Legendary Online League is an unofficial league for competitive solo play of Legendary. It was started by JesseOlivier last year, and I picked up the ball with season 2 since I was the League's statistician for season 1. If you want to read more about how the League operates, check out the first post of the season 3 thread.

My Proposal

I propose we basically keep the same format as season 3 with just a few minor changes:

(1) Incorporate the content from the Paint the Town Red expansion. This should be obvious. Each new season has incorporated a new Legendary expansion so far, but we try to trail one expansion behind the most current release in order to give everyone (especially the non-North American players) time to acquire each expansion. That might change in the future, but there's no reason to deviate from this pattern yet.

(2) Include the Super Hero Civil War scheme. The original solo rules say not to play this scheme solo, but testing has shown that it plays perfectly fine without modification using the Advanced Solo Mode rules. More variety in schemes is good, right?

(3) Pump up the attack of Red Skull and Magneto masterminds using the official Challenge Modes. Red Skull is just too easy. But make him enraged (+2 attack) or even tyrannical (+3 attack), and he's more of a challenge. What do you think? Would people forget to play with the Challenge Mode? Or is it nice to have the occasional "easy" mastermind after fighting Apocalypse, Galactus, and Mysterio? Alternatively, we could just retire Red Skull from League play. We have plenty of masterminds at this point.

I would prefer that we not make a lot of changes to either the stats or the ranking formulae. Fewer changes means less work for me, obviously. Overhauling the spreadsheet for season 2 to handle the new ranking scheme took a lot of effort. If we keep things mostly the same, it should be fairly easy for me to clone the spreadsheet from last season and get it ready for season 4.

Do You Have a Proposal?

That said, if you have a great idea for improving the League, by all means, please post your proposal, and, possibly after some discussion and/or tweaking of the proposal, we'll do a poll. If the results of the poll are in favor of the change, we'll adopt it.

Miscellanea

If anyone wants to sponsor prizes for the League, feel free to GeekMail me to discuss that. Otherwise, I'll give out the same GeekGold prizes as last time.

Sorry, still no progress to report on the microbadge for the Legendary Online League. If anyone wants to help with that, let me know.

Start Date

When should season 4 of the League start? I was thinking mid-to-late September. That would take us through the end of November. Then, season 5 would probably start up in January, after the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on all three points! As an avid solo player (check out my session reports!) I am ashamed to have never participated in the league before, but I definitely will for season 4. Single player Civil War is really awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have never participated before and this sounds great fun. I've not played legendary for ages, even though I have all expansions. I've not even played paint the town red yet! Looks like I'd better blow the dust away and start practising!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all three points noted.

DarthEd wrote:
Sorry, still no progress to report on the microbadge for the Legendary Online League. If anyone wants to help with that, let me know.

Regarding the microbadge, what's needed on that? Is it just to create one and submit for approval?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dietrich
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not participated either but would like to give it a try.
I've had loads of fun playing solo so this would be a great fit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedgremlin wrote:
Regarding the microbadge, what's needed on that? Is it just to create one and submit for approval?

Yup. Good graphical design skills and some past experience with creating/designing microbadges for BGG would be good, but basically just need to get one designed and approved. Easier said than done, but yeah. I have some ideas....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not participated in the past either (I missed getting in on season 3 by about a week - I have been playing along on my own though), though I have been following season 3 since right after it started.

I think the three points all make sense. I look forward to participating for season 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on all points as well. It would be a waste not to use Dr. Doom and Magneto at all, but they aren't much of a challenge in their current condition. Enraged would fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashly wrote:
I agree on all points as well. It would be a waste not to use Dr. Doom and Magneto at all, but they aren't much of a challenge in their current condition. Enraged would fix that.

Hey Flashly! Congratulations on the Netherlands' World Cup performance!!!

*Back to your regularly scheduled thread*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for this season as well! I look forward to playing another season (came in late last season). As for the proposal, I do not object to either the Civil War scheme or the "pumping" of Red Skull / Magneto. As long as the rules are clearly stated, I don't think it will be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I propose that life stops getting in the way of my participation in these games. So nobody throw my game in a lake, okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthPinkHippo wrote:
I propose that life stops getting in the way of my participation in these games. So nobody throw my game in a lake, okay?

Does a pond count? ninjarobot

J/K That was really a messed up story. I'm glad you got it again.

As for the thread, I agree with your points Ed.

As for the Anti-Villains thing. It still cracks me up since you're, you know.... Darth Vader sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
nakedgremlin wrote:

Yup. Good graphical design skills and some past experience with creating/designing microbadges for BGG would be good, but basically just need to get one designed and approved. Easier said than done, but yeah. I have some ideas....

I should be able to help on this. I'll shoot you a GM on particulars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
As for the Anti-Villains thing. It still cracks me up since you're, you know.... Darth Vader sauron

Huh? I thought Darth Vader was the good guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything Darth Ed does is magnificent! I enjoyed seasons 2 & 3 and cannot wait to start season 4. Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been following the league since season 2, and would like to participate on season 4. I agree with all 3 points as well ^_^. While I have seen some variants for the vanilla masterminds that make them just as competitive as the other MM, I don't think an Official un-official league should use variants... though we are breaking the rules for Super Hero Civil War... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with keeping the scoring format the same. I think it is fair, rewards all play styles, and is easy to track. I also agree with points 1 and 2. I do feel point 3 is not really necessary though, as there are enough MasterMinds now (13 in total), that we won't get to play them all as it is. Why make the easier ones harder, when we can just use the others. Also, having an easy game every now and then, would also be nice, seeing as we now have several difficult Masterminds available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, I'm in.

I'm of the opinion that we should just cull the Skull (and possibly Mags) from the competition, adding a challenge mode is an unnecessary complication (that many, myself included, will probably forget about), and as previously stated - there's plenty others to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, enjoyed having Cap and Black widow against a wuss like Dr. Doom for the last match. It felt really good to thoroughly whup a mastermind after my fairly mediocre showing in the middle rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. I did a lot better than I thought I would on Season 3 and am itching to try it again

Regarding the "Vanilla" MMs I am happy with whatever is decided but I usually take Red Skull et al out of the running (even when using a randomizer) because they are too easy and, as much as I would try not to, I'm sure I'd end up forgetting to add the modifiers so it'd probably be easier for me to just take them out.

Also as for the start date. I've only just picked up my copy of Villains so will want some time to play through that first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for buffing Magneto and Red Skull. My 5 year old calls him "Iron Skull" when we play him as a 10 fight. Some new Avengers cartoon Red Skull steals a suit of Tony's armor and calls himself the Iron Skull.

Also suggest benching Black Widow as she is sooooo good. Ok I know that will get shot down. So how about this. Keeping her out of the "Random" hero draws (making sure she is not one of the pre-assigned characters). Then she and her awesomeness are only impacting one match of the season.

I REALLY like the using a hero only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:
Also suggest benching Black Widow as she is sooooo good. Ok I know that will get shot down. So how about this. Keeping her out of the "Random" hero draws (making sure she is not one of the pre-assigned characters). Then she and her awesomeness are only impacting one match of the season.

I REALLY like the using a hero only once.

I agree with using each hero once was a nice change, but I have to disagree with benching anyone. There are enough heroes she may not show up in randoms anyway, but even if she does, we all get to use her that way. And you still have the one match you can choose to use her in. It keeps it to two matches and only one of those two would be tilted in anyone's favor using her.

I agree with the other changes, although I'm hesitant about using modified Masterminds. I'll admit that the first thing that came to mind is that I would screw it up and forget that they are stronger. Others have also said it would be nice to have the weaker ones mixed in to give variety, and I think that's not such a bad thing, either. It would give us some matches to focus on buffed scores rather than survival. Test peoples' ability to adapt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to feature the new expansion in the match-ups? As we get more and more content, it will be harder to ensure that the new stuff shows up.

Basically, I'd like to see all (or most) of the 5 of the heroes show up as preselected heroes at some point during the league, as well as the new masterminds and at least a couple of the schemes. (If not all of them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Flashly wrote:

Hey Flashly! Congratulations on the Netherlands' World Cup performance!!!

*Back to your regularly scheduled thread*

Thanks! I actually was quite pessimistic up front and didn't think they'd make it through the first matches. So this was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Is it possible to feature the new expansion in the match-ups? As we get more and more content, it will be harder to ensure that the new stuff shows up.

Basically, I'd like to see all (or most) of the 5 of the heroes show up as preselected heroes at some point during the league, as well as the new masterminds and at least a couple of the schemes. (If not all of them.)

I agree with this. I think everything that came with PTTR should be used at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.