Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
never played this game before. from what i understand, you negotiate with other players on what move to make. so why does the game take 7+ hours? can't you set out a timer for the negotiation phase to quicken the pace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a game longer than 3 1/2 hours myself -- but there is never enough time to talk to all the other players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
People often don't like to feel pressured. You'd like to talk to everyone, to think and to plan. Most games are run on a timer and still it takes a long time to manipulate the game into a winning state. Remember, you only get ahead with help from others - others who want to win too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
...there is never enough time to talk to all the other players!

I find this to be true of all games that involve political negotiation. There's never enough time. And while you can set time limits, it feels arbitrary and unnecessarily rushed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I thought the rules did set a time limit of 15 minutes for negotiation and 5 minutes for order writing? Even following those rules, it means a turn can take 20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes 4 hours to play and 13 years to mend friendships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:

I've said it before and I will say it again: If you lose a friend over a game of Diplomacy, they were not really your friend to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I've said it before and I will say it again: If you lose a friend over a game of Diplomacy, they were not really your friend to begin with.

It's funny, because what you described quite literally happened to me. I stopped talking to someone after something somewhat related to Diplomacy and then realized the person was never really my friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I played the game it took more than a week because we only moved 3 times per day. The board was stuck to my wall at University, and the players met 3 times per day, just after breakfast, lunch and dinner, to resolve moves. That left lots of time for negotiations with other players, and it seems to me that this was an almost perfect way to play the game. It was funny to come into the building at various times in the day and hear heated arguments and discussions between players.

Yes you can set limits to the negotiations in order to get a normal face-to-face game finished within a manageable time period, but the more time allowed for negotiation and diplomacy (which is what the game is about, after all) the better the game gets.

A game best savoured at leisure, not rushed, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
From my (potentially hazy) recollections of the days when I used to play it seven player face to face quite a bit, it was roughly around 1910 when it finished (give or take), thus let us assume for a nice round number the game lasts for 20 turns (we played single winner). If you give 15 minutes of negotiation, 5 minutes of rules writing and then executing, then you have 400 minutes right there. Also you have the adjustment each year which if you assume 5 minutes for to count the supply centres and people to right down the adjustments is another 50 minutes over the game.

That's 450 minutes right there. In other words 7.5 hours of intense gamey goodness boys and girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
That's 450 minutes right there. In other words 7.5 hours of intense gamey goodness boys and girls.

That sounds heavenly. It also sounds like the reason there are so many online implementations of this game...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.