7 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ottavia's target lock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am confused by this ability. The first paragraph makes it sound like she can pick a new number each turn.

"Once during the ante phase of each beat, Ottavia may call out a number as an ante."

Then the follow up sounds like she cannot change it until an opponent antes. So against an opponent with no antes, she can't ever change it.

"Each time an opponent antes, Ottavia may revise her chosen number during her next ante step."

Is it that 'next ante step' refers not to the next turn, but rather the current turn?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
sticker wrote:
I am confused by this ability. The first paragraph makes it sound like she can pick a new number each turn.

"Once during the ante phase of each beat, Ottavia may call out a number as an ante."

Then the follow up sounds like she cannot change it until an opponent antes. So against an opponent with no antes, she can't ever change it.

"Each time an opponent antes, Ottavia may revise her chosen number during her next ante step."

Is it that 'next ante step' refers not to the next turn, but rather the current turn?

Thanks!

It refers to the current turn, yes. Ottavia gets an ante step...she calls out her number. Now it's the opponent's ante step, and they ante one token. Now Ottavia gets a second ante step, she may pass, or change her anted number.

Each beat, she gets to select a number all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It refers to the current turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
It refers to the current turn. Because many opponents have antes that can alter their priority, like Shekhtur, this prevents them from guaranteeing themselves safe from Ottavia's ability.

So, during your ante step you announce a number, then, if the opponent antes during their following ante step, you may revise your number on your ante step following that (otherwise you move on to the reveal).

For example, if you, playing Ottavia, know the only attack pair that will save the opponent in the situation you've put them in this turn is X, you can call X. Then your opponent, playing Shekhtur, antes a Malice token. Now you can announce X+1 if you'd like, etc., until your opponent passes (after which you must pass).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I've only played her once and that was a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resurrecting this thread because it has an appropriate title.

Ottavia's Target Lock says: "Each time an opponent antes, Ottavia may revise her chosen number during her next ante step."

Does this mean Ottavia cannot change her Target Lock in reaction to a Pass from the opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
Does this mean Ottavia cannot change her Target Lock in reaction to a Pass from the opponent?
That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.