Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but I have a question about the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk event. Once it happens, I understand that units can no longer attack each other "but can still be lost to attrition".

Does that mean that after the treaty both sides can still move around and capture territory to try to put enemy armies out of supply? It seems a bit cheesy that you can sign the treaty but still cut supply to Russian armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what it means. In practice, it means you need to keep a minimal force on the Eastern Front - but you can use several corps instead of several armies. So playing this does free up a significant chunk of forces for other fronts, but it doesn't completely lock down that front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this tactic used by both sides. If anything, it's even "cheesier" when the otherwise defunct Russians cause German armies to be perm elim, since those armies (unlike the Russians) could still be used to attack somewhere else.

The lessons I draw here: (1) Even after the Treaty, you (as either side) need to keep a front line with no holes in it (though 1 corps per space is enough to be impenetrable, unless the Allies shuffle their units so as to let other Allied units get up to the front line and attack). (2) As the CP, beware of playing the Treaty if you have any armies that can be prevented from getting home afterwards.

Also keep in mind (3): As the CP, you may not necessarily want to play the Treaty, especially if you believe the game will end soon. After the Fall of the Tsar it's already very difficult (1 Ops/unit) for Russia to attack you, and you've already gotten most of the VP capitulation carries with it (including the variant VP in either the WBC or [5.7] historical variants). The treaty gives you only a small additional degree of safety, and in exchange you effectively lose 2 VP (see [5.5.2.1] and [5.5.2.2]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdgalt wrote:
The treaty gives you only a small additional degree of safety, and in exchange you effectively lose 2 VP (see [5.5.2.1] and [5.5.2.2]).

Don't you effectively gain 2 VP by playing the Treaty? Those sections say that it takes at least 13 points for the CP to win without the Treaty, but only 11 to win with the Treaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. This is why not to post late at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first "solo-teach myself" game, and Russia drove deep into AH, and with Romanian help (bulgaria came into the war late, and the army of the orient turned up the turn after they entered) capturing Cluj, Debreen, Lemberg and Chernowitz.

Then, in a weird hand, Germany went fall of tsar, capture city, revolution, brest-litovsk in 4 plays.

That left 4 russian armies on those objectives, and virtually impossible to remove from supply without massive effort and risk.

Sow while russia was knocked out, it effectively had a net gain of 0vps on the eastern front.

It seemed a bit weird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.