Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

AquaSphere» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reported Errors/Typos/suggestions on V10 of the published rules pdf are here rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
hold off on reporting any more errors/typos/suggestions... V11 should be soon forthcoming
Original Subject: Intermediate Scoring: Bots in Play, is the example wrong (in V10 of the rules pdf)?

Now this appears to be the bucket for all errors in V10 of the English rules pdf...
The rules says

"In the Bot Supply Section of your Player Board,
determine the highest number in a column with no
Submarine that is not covered by a Bot. You get a
number of KP equal to that number."

The example says

"Player Yellow gets 6 KP, Player Red gets 5 KP"

but to me it looks like while yellow has 3 subs out, his/her highest exposed bot space only shows 5... and while red has only 2 subs out, his highest exposed bot space shows 6.

Is the example wrong or am I not following how bot scoring is supposed to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Intermediate Scoring: Bots in Play, is the example wrong (in V10 of the rules pdf)?
JeffyJeff wrote:
The rules says

The example says

but to me it looks like while yellow has 3 subs out, his/her highest exposed bot space only shows 5... and while red has only 2 subs out, his highest exposed bot space shows 6.

Thank you very much - you just detected a mistake! Please be aware that this is still a draft and not the final rule, we're just in the process of proofreading. Just change the numbers: Yellow gets 5, red 6 KP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Intermediate Scoring: Bots in Play, is the example wrong (in V10 of the rules pdf)?
JeffyJeff wrote:
The rules says

The example says

This is a subtle benefit of using Kickstarter... the rules are posted online, and users can help find errors that slip through (ideally there would be none, but unfortunately it happens)!

Thanks for catching that one, Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another few corrections:
Page 8: You get 1 Time Marker per own Submarine you have deployed in the Station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small error on page 12:

You may move your Scientist Engineer sideways in the Headquarters. Note: In the round you activate this card, your Scientist Engineer will move 4 spaces in the Headquarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelendil wrote:
Small error on page 12:

You may move your Scientist Engineer sideways in the Headquarters. Note: In the round you activate this card, your Scientist Engineer will move 4 spaces in the Headquarters.

I just gave the rulebook an official review, and I did see that one.

Please keep posting these for the next week or so, in case I missed anything!

I edited the wording to be gender neutral as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Please keep posting these for the next week or so, in case I missed anything!

* the credits/thank-yous at the bottom of the last page is still in German

* the charts on various pages showing the # of points for the number of a given thing (and especially the one for the negative points) don't line up... make them a real mini-two row table with cell borders would be my suggestion

* I forget which page but I think it's the research card that let's you move through "2" ports for no time... the closing " is fine.... the opening one around it is upside down and lined w/the bottom... may be how it should be for German... but it should be "2" (with your angled left/right quotes, I don't know how to enter them here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6:
Place your Scientist in one of the colored Action Areas for that you have a programmed Bot on the corresponding Program Symbol of your Player Board.
(Recommended alternative change: Place your Scientist in one of the colored Action Areas where one of your programmed Bot is placed on the corresponding Program Symbol of your Player Board.)

Page 12:
While moving your Scientist, you may pay 1 Time Marker to move him to the
opposite side of the Station. You may move him Bbefore or afterwards, you may move him as per the normal rules.
(In addition to the typographical errors, this second sentence is hard to read. Perhaps it should read, "In addition to this movement, either before or after this movement, you may move the Scientist as per the normal rules.")

Another general edit: Many of the quotation marks in the rules here are formatted in the German fashion (with the leading quotation mark on the bottom of the font) instead of the English fashion (with the leading quotation mark raised to the top), which should likely be changed to the English fashion since this is the English rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
This is a subtle benefit of using Kickstarter... the rules are posted online, and users can help find errors that slip through

Sorry, but that happened even before Kickstarter, and is a benefit of boardgamegeek.com, not KS.
The designers of Merchants & Marauders asked BGGers to test their rules years before the game was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is yet another mistake, I guess.

In the part "Intermediate Scoring" (page 10) it says "If you like, use Program Cards type II".

This obviously means "Research Cards type II". You can program your Bot with it, but "Program Card" in the terminology of the game refers to a different kind of card.

You might consider changing it...

Also, the vertical lines in front of the #1 in the scoring tables (# of crystals, submarines, octopods, etc.) don't really look good, and can even be confusing. You might consider either making these regular charts, or at least set them apart differently from the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
This is a subtle benefit of using Kickstarter... the rules are posted online, and users can help find errors that slip through

Sorry, but that happened even before Kickstarter, and is a benefit of boardgamegeek.com, not KS.
The designers of Merchants & Marauders asked BGGers to test their rules years before the game was released.

This is true, but since the advent of kickstarter it has become much more widespread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
* the charts on various pages showing the # of points for the number of a given thing (and especially the one for the negative points) don't line up... make them a real mini-two row table with cell borders would be my suggestion

I agree, this would look much better and would be much more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:

The total scores at the bottom of the page should also be corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First image on page 7 has the wrong scientist color - it should be red, not yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting for Winter - Season 8!
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Page 12:
While moving your Scientist, you may pay 1 Time Marker to move him to the
opposite side of the Station. You may move him Bbefore or afterwards, you may move him as per the normal rules.
(In addition to the typographical errors, this second sentence is hard to read. Perhaps it should read, "In addition to this movement, either before or after this movement, you may move the Scientist as per the normal rules.")

I think it should read:
"While moving your Scientist, you may pay 1 Time Marker to move him to the opposite side of the Station. You may move him Before or afterwards, you may move him as per the normal rules."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bennett
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the introduction, it appears that a word is missing from the following sentence: "You will be assigned a lab with basic equipment - if the available capacities not suffice, feel free to expand your lab."

Perhaps it should read "if the available capacities do not suffice . . ." or "if the available capacities are insufficient . . .".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Report Errors/Typos/suggestions on V10 of the published rules pdf here
I don't think anyone has mentioned these yet:

On page 9, under the explanation of "Program a Bot", the images are all screwed up.

The example image's caption states "The Programming Space of the Sector is black (“Take Crystals” action)." However, in the image shown, the programming space of the sector is green ("Expand the Lab") action.

Also, the bot is shown as coming from the orange "Take a Research Card" programming space on the player board rather than the white "Program a Bot" space on the player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Page 6:
Place your Scientist in one of the colored Action Areas for that you have a programmed Bot on the corresponding Program Symbol of your Player Board.

I think this should read as follows:

Place your Scientist in one of the colored Action Areas for which you have a programmed Bot on the corresponding Program Symbol of your Player Board.

The word "that" needs changed to "which". It's still a somewhat awkward sentence, but grammatically correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
There is yet another mistake, I guess.

In the part "Intermediate Scoring" (page 10) it says "If you like, use Program Cards type II".

This obviously means "Research Cards type II". You can program your Bot with it, but "Program Card" in the terminology of the game refers to a different kind of card.

You might consider changing it...

In addition to correcting the terminology to say "research card", I would recommend changing the sentence in the yellow bar which says "If you like, use Program Cards of type II" to be something like this:

"If you have any, you may use Research Cards of type II."

The way it's currently worded it's confusing because it makes it sound like any player who wants to can do this, but in fact you must have the card.

Quote:

Also, the vertical lines in front of the #1 in the scoring tables (# of crystals, submarines, octopods, etc.) don't really look good, and can even be confusing. You might consider either making these regular charts, or at least set them apart differently from the text.

I second changing this. I thought the vertical lines were number ones at first and couldn't figure out why 1 was repeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Here are my notes for things that were not mentioned yet:

* Mentioned before: The rules use a German quotation style: „Example“. This isn't used in English according to Wikipedia
* Page 3 - d - "and place in in the corresponding sector" - double "in".
* Page 6 - "When programming a Bot, you take the next available Bot from your supply and place it on a Program Symbol on your
Player Board." - the word "free" could be added: "free Program Symbol on your Player Board". It was previously mentioned on page 5, but there's room and it makes it much more clear if you use the rules as a reference.
* Page 7 - The example says "Example: Player RED". In all other instances player colors appear like "Red".
* Page 3 - d - 2p exception - Line starts with "In the blue area". The "I" is bold and should not be.
* Page 8 - Take Crystals - The example says "Example: Example:".
* page 11 - "Preparing the next round" remind you to return to the supply the time marker you used to mark the "pay 3 time to program any action" action.
* Partially mentioned before: Page 12 - top right card - "You may move him Before or afterwards, you may move him as per the normal rules" - "before" shouldn't be capitalized. The sentence is a bit unclear. Could be rewritten as "before or after moving your scientist as per the normal rules". Can you mix it up with regular movement as much as you want? (move once, move to other side, move once)

* I found a slight inconsistency in iconography:
When taking time markers, if there are no time markers in the sector, you get a minimum of 2 in any case. There's a graphic on the player board to signify that: "2-5".

When taking crystals, if there are no crystals in the sector, you get none. However, there's a graphic on the player board that says "1-...".

* It's a bit odd that the triangular number sequence is used in so many places, but it's only fully written in the player aid next to the final scoring of lab letters, and the octopod action just has a "?" that stands for it. Don't have a suggestion on how to improve it

* Silly Q: If my final lab has the sections A B A B A B, I only score for 2 different letters, right? I don't count it as 3 groups of different letters.

* Rules don't say what the time icon means at the top right of the player board - are you supposed to keep your available markers there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Dumon wrote:

They could be charts with invisible lines, if you don't want to "dirty" the rulebook. The important thing is the numbers should be aligned correctly (and not using manually-placed " " space characters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Page 5 - the top text box says "see also text box at the top right". There is no box at the top right of the page. It actually means the text box a bit below and to the right of this one. I can't come up with a proper substitute though . This one's ugly: "see also the text box below and to the right"

Page 12 - "Cards that you can activate at any time but only once per game" -- rules could mention you should rotate or flip the card to indicate it has been used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not clear to me:

The game components (p. 1) say: "7 Program Cards (double-sided)"
Setup (p. 2) says: "Shuffle the Program Cards (5) and place 4 of them face
up
"

What does face up mean when the cards are double-sided?
or
what does double-sided mean when the cards have a face side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Head's up everyone, there are newer versions of the rules that may soon be available. The feedback here, however, is much appreciated. But I want you to know the earlier draft people are discussing has evolved and we look to share a more recent version shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDITS TO v10 RULES BEING MADE

For the record, I have edited the rules and sent my comments to Ralph at Hall Games. I combed this thread and included everything people had commented on here.

He's working on the updates now, so please hold any further comments until a new version is released.

Thanks,
Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.