Subject: A couple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My son in I played our first two battles of the Highland Charge expansion this past weekend. Both were fun and closely fought affairs. Just a few questions came up:

1) Do the rules for "Scottish Militia" (can move and shoot for 2 AP) apply to militia that are on the Loyalist/British side or only to militia on the Jacobite side?

2) When highlanders close assault and cause their target to be eliminated or retreat, they have the option of an additional fire attack at an adjacent unit. How does this fit in with the option to take a space vacated by the target of a close assault? When does the 2nd target have to be adjacent? Before or after taking ground? Can the 2nd target be the same unit as the one attacked with the close assault?

3) Can cavalry try to avoid a highland charge (movement+close assault) like it can with a cavalry charge?

4) The combat table in Highland Charge doesn't include any info for cavalry charges. Are they the same hit numbers as Frederick's War?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Both

2. This can occur either before or after they enter a vacated space.

3. They avoid Highland charges they same way they avoid infantry close combat.

4. The same

Thanks for playing. Which scenarios have you played so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We played Falkirk and Sheriffmuir.

Thanks for the replies. Somehow I'd overlooked cavalry avoided close combat from infantry. That makes sense. I need to give the Frederick's War rules a more thorough reading. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,
I eventually got round to playing prestonpans and falkirk at the weekend with my freshly painted highlanders and redcoats. Fantastic scenarios with redcoats running for the hills in both ( Hawley dying in the process, theres justice for you!)
I am unsure as to whether the highland units need a morale roll to charge, not in the rules but mentioned in the geek pdf printout of the updated scenarios. It felt like there was a need for a stalled charge, perhaps on a 6 unless a general is present. I had the same difficulty with grenzers and sean ruled them as charging as cavalry, ie. no morale test.
I also need to remember that elite units get a save roll on that last base, always forget that one
Great fun though and a definite feel of the period. As i work in falkirk it is a tad close to home!
mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't have my rules in front of me, but I know in Hold the Line, there's an optional rule for any unit to need a succesful morale roll in order to conduct close assault. We've never played with it, but it sure sounds interesting. It poses a tough choice, "Do I spend 2 AP for my militia unit to try close assaulting, when there's a good chance they can only shoot and 1 precious AP is wasted?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Andrew,
Yes it's a really good optional rule in htl and really adds a dilemma. The problem is that odd units like 2 base grenzer and highland units don't fit into the system and need a rule to add them in. Sean the designer plays them as not needing a morale roll to charge, like cavalry. I am not sure I like the guarantee of the successful charge as I do not see the justification for it.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives the units a chance at hitting back. Both units are highly brittle and I did not think it fair to overly handicap them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.