Subject: Missing German? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Spahr
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In the set-up for the Dec. 44 start, is there a German unit "missing" from 34.01 on the Western Map? It looks like there should be someone on the other side of that bridge.

Otherwise, its time to put all the German troops to the south out of supply this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant1862 wrote:
In the set-up for the Dec. 44 start, is there a German unit "missing" from 34.01 on the Western Map? It looks like there should be someone on the other side of that bridge.

Otherwise, its time to put all the German troops to the south out of supply this turn.

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, there should be a German there. The Strasbourg bridge was added after the scenario setup for Dec so not having any units there without the bridge was fine but now with the bridge and no German unit, it allows the Allies to cross the Rhine.

The 553 VG Div should be stationed there but this opens 27.35. Let me work with Lee and Dean to get 553 VG Div to cover the Strasbourg crossing and to shift the other German units in the Lorraine over some. I'll include this as errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Spahr
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Carl,

Sounds good. My grandfather was called back to Europe because of the Bulge after being wounded and sent home, so of course that was the first small scenario I set-up.

And then scratched my head for a few minutes, tried the move I described to you, and then sent the email...

Also, based on that scenario, would you or someone else be willing to describe how, in SCS terms, the Germans launched the Ardennes offensive that turn? Nothing detailed, but a general sense of 'here's how what they did would look in game terms.'

Love this game, love this system, and would love to see how that specific attack would 'look' given the limits of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant1862 wrote:
Carl,

Sounds good. My grandfather was called back to Europe because of the Bulge after being wounded and sent home, so of course that was the first small scenario I set-up.

And then scratched my head for a few minutes, tried the move I described to you, and then sent the email...

Also, based on that scenario, would you or someone else be willing to describe how, in SCS terms, the Germans launched the Ardennes offensive that turn? Nothing detailed, but a general sense of 'here's how what they did would look in game terms.'

Love this game, love this system, and would love to see how that specific attack would 'look' given the limits of the system.

Hi Jeremy,

Never heard of resending men back to the continent after being sent home. I guess that shows the American infantry shortage during the winter.

Recreating the actual Battle of the Bulge is difficult because of the turn sequence with the Allies moving first and the godlike knowledge the players have. The Allies would basically have to ignore the German panzers behind the West Wall and continue to attack to the Ruhr and Lorraine in their player turn. If you wanted to simulate the German surprise, skip the Allied player turn and start with the German player turn.

The Germans would then open their Ardennes offensive starting with the reinforcements being placed in their historical locations (in the scenario - there's slight errata too in the south as entry 27.34 is no longer there in the expansion). The infantry would lead the attack (hexes 20.28, 21.28, 22.28, 23.29) and the Panzers would exploit.

I've tried just the Ardennes attack a couple of times and the results and with the terrain and sequencing, the Germans don't get too far. The thing to remember is that the German offensive part historically lasted barely a week before they ran out of steam. Each turn is two weeks in the winter so basically the German offensive is one turn. The following turn (turn 18) is already the Allied counteroffensive.

Hence the scenario is more for a campaign setup start than to recreate the Bulge explicitly without any extensive rules that usually are needed for West Front games to have the Bulge happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy and all,

This is what I sent to Lee for the scenario errata in case you want to continue with the scenario:

257 and 709 VG Divs would arrive historically at 24.31 since 27.34 no longer exists in the TME expansion

553 VG Div sets up in 30.34 (34.01 on the east map), 245 Static Div sets up in 27.35, 25 PG Div sets up in 27.33, 559 VG Div sets up in 26.32. Basically some of the Germans shift over some and will eventually try to attack for Nordwind on Turn 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Spahr
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Carl,

Yeah, my grandfather met my grandmother while he was home, the Bulge broke out, he was told he would be going back, so they got married. The best part of the story is that he had been a combat engineer in North Africa, Italy, and Southern France. When he was told he was going back, he offered to take ANY job other than that, as he and two other guys were the only ones left from the start of the war.

By the time he gets back, things have quieted down, and he's given the option of coaching a baseball team in the rear, having been a minor league catcher before the war. He jumps at the chance, and winds up staying in Europe into 1946 as a result. My aunt is born while he's there.

Crazy story, but true. Or at least that's what family lore tells me

As for the Bulge itself, everything you say makes complete sense to me and is what I had thought in terms of the battle. Good to know I wasn't missing something.

I've copied down the errata and will add it to the game.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant1862 wrote:
Carl,

Yeah, my grandfather met my grandmother while he was home, the Bulge broke out, he was told he would be going back, so they got married. The best part of the story is that he had been a combat engineer in North Africa, Italy, and Southern France. When he was told he was going back, he offered to take ANY job other than that, as he and two other guys were the only ones left from the start of the war.

By the time he gets back, things have quieted down, and he's given the option of coaching a baseball team in the rear, having been a minor league catcher before the war. He jumps at the chance, and winds up staying in Europe into 1946 as a result. My aunt is born while he's there.

Crazy story, but true. Or at least that's what family lore tells me

As for the Bulge itself, everything you say makes complete sense to me and is what I had thought in terms of the battle. Good to know I wasn't missing something.

I've copied down the errata and will add it to the game.

Thanks again!

That's a great story. Any chance that you know which unit your grandfather was in when he returned (and even the engineering unit prior to that)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.