Subject: Junior Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone tried the Junior variant yet? It seems like it just eats the tires up for some reason.

I tried playing a 2 player game run through to test it out before teaching it to my nephew, and by the 10th turn I had gone through a second set of tires and was again having to pit to refresh them.

One car was out in the lead, but by the time they had built it up, they'd have to pit, bringing them back into just barely in the lead, or second place. The other car was hopelessly out of the race, being near the back of the pack, spending all kinds of movement having to pass, and using up tires like crazy because nearly every movement card seems to have tires on it.

The front runner car had 8 tire points, 6 damage, 6 cards. The one in the back of the pack had the 10 tire / 5 damage /6 hand size car. I'm not sure that having 12 tires would have mattered a lot given how badly the 10 tire car was doing (due mostly to just bad luck in the draws). It really seemed to come down to how lucky you were drawing cards that didn't require spending tires. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I don't think I was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking basic game here?

Which strategy did you choose?

If you only have 8 tyres, you should pick Safe Tyres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Junior variant in the back of the rulebook. Basic rules with these changes:

Start
- Do not use refueling chits and the refueling rules.
- Do not use strategies

Movement
- When paying tire points only tire chips must be used.
- All checks are Blind checks.

Overtake
- All overtakes in straight and braking sections cost 1 movement point.
- All overtakes in corner sections cost 2 movement points.
- Contest and Late Braking are not used.

Race end
- Ends on the Short Race turn.

I sort of half ignored the "do not use refueling rules" and it seemed to make the game a lot better.

I put out refueling chips for the robots only, according to the basic rules (on turn 8, 10, stacked on turn 12, and turn 14 based on their starting positions). This made it so I didn't have to drive so wrecklessly just to keep up with them. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but that's how I'm going to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.