Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am looking for some micro machine Enterprise minis on eBay, possibly to replace my teeny prise and ENT-R, when I see these three, supposedly "Johnny Lightning Legend of Star Trek" (JL-LOST) die-cast minis with a "Buy it now" price tag of only $14.99 with free shipping.

I don't really care if they are genuine JL-LOST models, or not, as they look pretty decent in the pics - even if they're knock-offs.

The reason I am posting is that it may be that they are genuine JL-LOST ships - though the base/stands look unlike any I have seen before.

Thoughts? Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look like the same bases that came with a bunch of Japanese Star Wars minis that I have.

If they are, and the bases are the same size, these ships are going to be roughly 2-3 inches long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
free shipping...from China...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Those look like the same bases that came with a bunch of Japanese Star Wars minis that I have.

If they are, and the bases are the same size, these ships are going to be roughly 2-3 inches long.

That would work well with the Teeny prize - and if the refit is the same size, in the words of Johnny Lee Hooker, "that don't confront me"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I got the Defiant one on sale some time ago. Mine had a manufacturing error where there's an obscenely large (1/16 of an inch) gap in the left nacelle. I don't know if it's common in the production line, but sucks that the upper portion and the lower portion didn't quite meet up correctly. It's also a pretty thin hollow thing.

Otherwise, These guys are obscenely big for STAW. I know scale is not on the high spectrum of things for this game, but we're talking about larger than the Enterprise-D big.

Would not recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the Johnny Lightning models to be slightly larger scale. Those bass are not the same as the ones that I've seen on the JL models that I own (though it may have been changed at some point). The ones that I have use a teardrop shaped base that almost resembles the Starfleet insignia if you look at them from the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are Japanese Star Trek F-Toys miniatures and were produced in a similar way to other Japanese toy ranges such as Furuta, etc.

More details on them here:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/F-Toys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
These are Japanese Star Trek F-Toys miniatures and were produced in a similar way to other Japanese toy ranges such as Furuta, etc.

More details on them here:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/F-Toys

that looks right. I was pretty sure they weren't Johnny Lightning ones. They were big enough, and the base for these was not JL stuff. I think you nailed it SteRT. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the came one the mail today.

Here's how they look:

They are surprisingly light, and feel higher-quality than you'd expect; sturdy! And sits nicely on the base, the Ent-D feels more tippy than either of these.

I'll use 'em.

I had to drill in the holes for the pegs. I just sawed a couple of pegs in half and put the female half in the hole I drilled. The whole operation took all of 15 minutes including the drilling, krazy gluing and assembling (and crazy gluing) the nacelles.

For 15 bucks and free shipping, I got these two ships and the Defiant, plus a (edit:Coke) cloaked version of the Defiant too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are 1/2500 scale. Which makes them a little bit too large (1/5000 would be more to my liking). Still, they look great, and I will probably play them just because I got them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas K
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi,

"These are Japanese Star Trek F-Toys miniatures and were produced in a similar way to other Japanese toy ranges such as Furuta, etc."

Yes, Japanese gashapon or gachapon toys.

These do come from Japan. However the ones from Hong Kong/China/ebay are (charitably) seconds or simply out-right knock-offs.
I first bought one (of those pictured) via ebay and later sourced the true ones directly from a Japanese company.

From your pictures these are clearly the Chinese version.
The paint/decals are less fine... some detailing is missing altogether.
The Chinese TOS Enterprise noticeably misses detailing on the inside of the engine struts. It is a dead give-away.

The inscription on the base - unreadable here - is always the same: incorrect! (Always the Enterprise NX.)
The base stands in particular can be badly cast although still useable.

If you want the original TOS Enterprise the true F-Toys model is superior... not to mention not encouraging bad Chinese reproductions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.