Subject: Revisiting Rome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the wife and I recently started watching the old HBO series Rome again - it's been almost 10 years since I've seen it. A few annoying things to a history buff, but overall I forgot what a great show that was.

The costumes and sets especially are fantastic, but the way they glossed over the potential battle scenes kill me! cry

Would have loved to have seen them do the battles. I know they were hurting on the budget (why the show got cancelled - not ratings), but what a wasted opportunity...

FWIW and may have already come up around here since it's kind of old news: as of a few months ago all of the HBO series became free to watch if you are on Amazon Prime. That includes Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Generation Kill, John Adams, et al.

Good stuff, all of them. I own Band of Brothers but plan on re-watching the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They also should have started the show BEFORE Crassus is dead. Fascinating character. Would have been neat to see them explore the early days of the triumvirate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken, Rome was at the time (and may still be) the most expensive show per episode to ever air on TV. As much as I would love to see some battles in more detail, it's hard to fault them for glossing over them.

But yeah, more battle scenes would have been cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It starts right after Alesia - has there ever been a (non-documentary) movie with Alesia in it?

Come to think of it, I can't even think of a Julius Caesar movie more recent than the Marlon Brando one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ansbach wrote:

FWIW and may have already come up around here since it's kind of old news: as of a few months ago all of the HBO series became free to watch if you are on Amazon Prime. That includes Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Generation Kill, John Adams, et al.

Generation Kill is very good. Watch it,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"The Sisyphean dreamer, my fibula and femur hold the weight of the world over and over! I think, therefore I die, anxiety and I rolling down a mountain over and over!"
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:

Generation Kill is very good. Watch it,

This. As is The Pacific, just dont expect BoB, its a whole different theater/set of day to day problems than the ETO.

I quite enjoyed Rome as well, it is a shame about the budget the show was before its time sadly. Considering the amount of CGI they do now with Game of Thrones, I have a feeling Rome would still be on if it started much later. As it was when it came out they just didnt have the CGI abilities they do now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
There was one made in the early 2000's with mr big from sex and the city playing caesar .It actually wasnt a bad movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, Rome was at the time (and may still be) the most expensive show per episode to ever air on TV. As much as I would love to see some battles in more detail, it's hard to fault them for glossing over them.

Wow, you are right: $9 million/episode. Only higher one was the last season of Friends (actor's salaries) - so most expensive TV production ever.

By comparison, Game of Thrones is $6m/episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a french movie with Christopher Lambert and the former french rugbyman Vincent Moscato called Vercingetorix, (Druids, for english I thought). I´m not a big fan of movies, and maybe it isn´t so bad as I remember...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can safely say that Druids is one of the worst films ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vins wrote:
There is a french movie with Christopher Lambert and the former french rugbyman Vincent Moscato called Vercingetorix, (Druids, for english I thought). I´m not a big fan of movies, and maybe it isn´t so bad as I remember...

No, you got it exactly right the first time. It was 'orrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Charles Vasey wrote:
... It was 'orrible.

Permit me to congratulate you on your French accent, m'sieur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:

They didn't gloss over the battles in The Pacific and thats supposed to be the one whose budget is downplayed most, whereas Eastwood's Iwo Jima doubled its money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
... It was 'orrible.

Permit me to congratulate you on your French accent, m'sieur.

Je suis un rock star, j'habite en France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Anyone else think the actor playing the adult Octavian in Season 2 was just horribly miscast? The 2nd season was pretty much DOA with the amount of cutting they had to do anyway (cramming 2 seasons into 1), but that actor totally ruined it for me. I re-watched recently hoping it would have aged well, but while the first season is still fantastic, season 2 is just a tough sit. Turning Vorenus into a lowlife criminal overlord doesn't help much either. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:

Anyone else think the actor playing the adult Octavian in Season 2 was just horribly miscast? The 2nd season was pretty much DOA with the amount of cutting they had to do anyway (cramming 2 seasons into 1), but that actor totally ruined it for me. I re-watched recently hoping it would have aged well, but while the first season is still fantastic, season 2 is just a tough sit. Turning Vorenus into a lowlife criminal overlord doesn't help much either. Ugh.

I'm half way in agreement with you. I'm in the middle of the second season, and while it's probably not as good as the first season I still think it's great. I liked Vorenus' fall into darkness, but I do think the older Octavian was a poor casting choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Band of Brothers had the "historical annotation" mode like Rome does on its DVD set. It would be so much cooler to know what was what, historically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have Rome on DVD and love it. I agree about the drop off from season 1 to season 2. When it comes to Vorenus, it sort of feels to me like there were several characters written but a producer looked at it and decided to take a half dozen different characters and just have them all compressed into Vorenus and Pullo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
cherryfunk wrote:
Anyone else think the actor playing the adult Octavian in Season 2 was just horribly miscast?

You mean it wasn't Brian Blessed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ansbach wrote:
I'm half way in agreement with you. I'm in the middle of the second season, and while it's probably not as good as the first season I still think it's great. I liked Vorenus' fall into darkness, but I do think the older Octavian was a poor casting choice.

The Vorenus storyline isn't a bad one per se, it just isn't where I wanted that character to go. I guess sort of reject the notion of him killing Niobe at the end of Season 1 -- it seemed a bridge too far for that character, morally, so the season 2 arc doesn't ring true for me.

But, the Vorenus/Pullo side of the story in season 2 is miles better than the Octavian/Antony side, I'll give you that.

Quote:
You mean it wasn't Brian Blessed?

I also watched I, Claudius again recently while reading the 12 Caesars, and Blessed actually does a much better job of conveying the historical Augustus, if Suetonius's description is to be believed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.