Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: "That's PRINCESS jerk to you" - my fanmade Smash Up faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I heard that somebody else proposed this idea already, but i don't know of anybody implementing it yet. So here, for your pleasure or contempt, is my take on Ponies as a Smash Up faction.

The theme are cards that seem nice at first, but are actually pretty sneaky. Often the ponies will give others a "bonus", but play it so that the bonus sucks or isn't even a bonus after all. How to play them and how they combo with other factions i leave for you to figure out.

The art, main font and card ideas are mine. The action card art and the art for "Vanilla Sky" are work in progress obviously, and i will update these as i go (which will be very slowly). I put a lot of thought into the cards, and if someone considers giving them a try, i'd appreciate feedback.

Also, if anybody cares, the ponies are part of a fan expansion that i am currently working on, which i dubbed "Over the Rainbow". The other factions will probably be Cowboys, Knights and Circus Folk.

Minions:
4x Cutesy Cake, Power 2
Draw 2 cards. Each other player must draw a card.

3x Raindrop Rush, Power 2
Ongoing: Each minion at this base has +1 Power.
(Remark: This goes for opponent's minions, too. It does not "affect" them, as they are neither moved nor returned or destroyed and had no card played on them.)

2x Unicum Shimmer, Power 4
Ongoing: Minions cannot be destroyed here.
(Remark: Same as with Raindrop Rush above.)

1x Princess Euphemia, Power 6
You may chose that each player gains 2 VP.

Actions:

2x A kingdom for a horse
Play on a base. You may play an extra minion on it. Ongoing: Players may play an extra minion on this base during their turn.
(Remark: This means you can play two extra minions the turn you play the action)

2x Heart Beam
Your minions have +1 power until the end of the turn.

1x The ride never ends
Play on another player's minion. Talent: Discard a card to move this minion to another base.

1x Sharing is magic
Play on a base. Ongoing: When this base scores, each player there gains VP as if he was the winner.
(Remark: This does not change who gets "winner" effects nor how many points you score at Rhodes Plaza Mall.)

1x Kiss my Ass
Play on a base. Ongoing: When another player plays a minion on this base, draw a card.

1x Give Peace a Change
Play on a base. Ongoing: All other player cards at this base have no effect on players other than their owner (or their cards).
(Remark: Besides the fact that others cannot attack your cards with Minions or ongoing Actions they play here, it also means the Pony minions only give their bonus to the Pony player. Players can still target other players, so they don't have to target themself with mandatory effects - it just does nothing. Playing a minion is not an effect, so "Kiss my Ass" will still draw cards.)

1x I really like your mane
Special: Play after a base scores. For each player (including you), chose one of his minions there he must return to his hand.
(Remark: This counts as "affecting" them as defined by the rules.)

1x Rain on your Parade
Special: Play before a base scores. Play another action as an extra. That action does not affect other players' minions.
(Remark: This does not forbid playing an action which in turn allows playing an extra minion/action that can affect other players' minions.)

Bases:

Pony Town, Breakpoint 20
3 - 2 - 1
Every player (with or without minion here) gains a free VP when this base scores

Vanilla Sky, Breakpoint 10
1 - 1 - 1
When a player plays a minion here, he may play an extra action.

Victory Tokens:

Update 23.07.14: Cleaned up the wording of "Give Peace a Change". It now doesn't interact negatively with "Kiss my Ass" anymore and also makes clear that cards can target opponent's cards (just without effect).
Update 25.07.14: Added a printing sheet and Victory Tokens.
Update 05.08.2014: Added art for "Give Peace a Change".
Update 07.08.2014: Changed wording of "Rain on your parade" and "The ride never ends". Only for clarity in the first, for a cleaner concept in the latter case.
Update 21.08.2014: Added art for "Heart Beam".
Update 16-09-2014: Changed printing Sheet + added card description to post. Re-Changed wording of "The ride never ends" to old version, which i'll keep until further testing.
Update 20.10.2014: I'm going to let this project sleep for a while, as i'm currently involved in real boardgame a friend and i are creating. Just in case you wondered
Update 09.11.2014: Added art for "A kingdom for a horse" and upgraded art for "Give peace a change".
Update 09.11.2014: Improved wording of "Give peace a change". It's much less confusing now. Also made a last art change.
Update 05.01.2015: Minor art changes. Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the faction idea and the fact that you made your own art. Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it will be very interested to see how they play...

How many of each card will there be? And would it be possible to get more easily printable sheets, with the right number of each card? Pretty pls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PGrande wrote:
I love the faction idea and the fact that you made your own art. Bravo!

Thank you very much, Pablo. I am glad you approve of the art

TheOneEared wrote:
Love it will be very interested to see how they play...

How many of each card will there be? And would it be possible to get more easily printable sheets, with the right number of each card? Pretty pls?

Thank you too, Jon

The numbers are written in small letters below the cards - "Cutesy Cake" exists 4 times, "Raindrop Rush" 3, and "Unicum Shimmer", "A Kingdom for a Horse" and "Heart Beam" twice each. All other cards are singles.

I will try to create a sheet for easier printing and post it here, but it will take some time to get the format right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOneEared asked for a sheet to print the cards more easily, so here it is. I also freshly created Pony Victory Tokens, so those are included, too.

It might be that the card format is not exactly right, as i have no access to original american cards and had to take online sources as a model. If that's the case, please either scale them or explain how they should be formatted.

Enjoy.

Edit: The updated version of the sheet is now in the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you kindly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Updated the art of "Give Peace a Change" - see first post.

Another thing, are there german speakers here who'd like to have them in that language? I happen to speak it, but i won't bother if there's no interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm downloading lots of decks so I'll try to post as I play with them

Has anyone else tried these? Any thoughts on the playability?

Thanks for making them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Added art for "Heart Beam". See first post.

Also, did anybody try the cards? Is the printing sheet working as is? I'd appreciate feedback.

In case you didn't look at the cards, here are some things about them (and to make you look):
- Ponies are good in breaking bases early
- They can use the power of other players for this
- They can add a lot of power the turn a base breaks
- They can keep others from destroying your other faction's minions
- You should know Smash Up well to play them well, otherwise you will be handing out free candy.
- A lot of cards allow you to avoid being nice to opponents, especially "Give peace a change".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I went to print them and they are all on one page is that right? so they were super small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah they are. I figured a printing program would help you divide the image in pages, but when i think about it that wasn't a clever solution blush

I will get them in a format similar to the ones i have seen here as soon as i can.

Edit: Seems i got the size wrong, after all. This will take a while... :/
Sorry, Smash Up doesn't have the big cards that are used in the US where i live, would have made that easier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
That's OK, the smallness kind of adds to the cuteness level, people playing with these mini cards hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't make the mistake to let the cuteness lull you

I took the time to create a Sheet similar to the one you were using for your Super Pets faction, and i hope it works.

Maybe i'll be able to write something about the Knights faction of the expansion this weak, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Haha I'll keep my guard up! I'll print them off soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For those that actually care, i finally got aroung to do something on this, adding new art for "A kingdom for a horse" and upgrading the one for "Give Peace a change". The old one looked odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like this theme is more than just fan-made..

http://www.alderac.com/smashup/pretty-pretty-smash/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
It looks like this theme is more than just fan-made..

http://www.alderac.com/smashup/pretty-pretty-smash/

I don't know if i am happy or sad now. My efforts has just become superfluous... :-/

I'm not too excited for the art, though... I like mine more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully not sad! :S

We'll just have to play them against each other and show that yours are better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
Hopefully not sad! :S

We'll just have to play them against each other and show that yours are better!

He he, should do

No, it's fine. I guess it's just that i had a lot of fun creating the cards, and even approached the company with my idea for a Pony faction. They never got back to me, which for me meant they didn't have any interest. I even approached them a while before posting here so they wouldn't have to worry about "legal issues". So i guess i'm disappointed they didn't even say something like "Thanks for your input, but we are currently working on something similar anyhow".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
Darn

It's fine... I mean, i suspect i'm not the only one to have the idea for a Pony faction, so it's not like i claim they took it from me. I guess i just expected some kind of answer when i told them about the idea. I guess they didn't want to leak information.

Anyhow, i'm curious how the new cards will play. After all the fact that the art doesn't really do it for me doesn't mean the cards are bad. It seems they are going for a "herd" theme opposed to my "claims to be nice" theme, so we'll have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.