United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
So I printed out the demo kit, and gave it a whirl. Man, it's very unforgiving! I finally beat the scenario on my third try (playing 4 handed).

One question I couldn't seem to find the answer to, is does damage spill over into the next rank, or is the extra wasted?

For example, let's say the 2 ranks in question are 3 / Mana. If I use a Deathtouch with 2 revealed spells, for 4 power, can I clear both those levels?

Same situation with a 1/Deck or 1/Skill or vice versa. Many of their Black Market cards have both those icons on it. Are they good for two levels or just wasted damage?

On a similar note, say there are 2 mana levels in a row. Can 1 player play 2 spell cards to clear both, or do they have to be applied first before you can move on to the next level?

I really hope it's not the latter, because you can survive at most 2 rounds of each scene in the scenario. Waiting to have damage applied before moving on would push that to at least 4 rounds each since some of the obstacles have 7 or 8 levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
For example, let's say the 2 ranks in question are 3 / Mana. If I use a Deathtouch with 2 revealed spells, for 4 power, can I clear both those levels?

Yes. You play all the cards you want, then apply the damage afterwards. So your Deathtouch clears the 3 damage level (2 + Blue), and the next level (Blue). If you play additional cards along with Deathtouch, you can clear other levels as well.

Let's say the levels look like this:

3 / Blue / Blue

You can play Quick Shot and your Deathtouch (+2) to clear them all. The Black damage and 2 colorless damage from Deathtouch will clear the first level. The Blue from Deathtouch will get the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that damage dealt that doesn't clear a damage level will be removed at the end of your turn. Meaning, if you are going to damage an obstacle, you will need to fully clear the damage level to benefit. For the harder obstacles, this can mean you need some pretty potent cards, an assist from your fellow runners, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That is the way I played it, so I'm glad I got it right. Otherwise, the game would be nearly impossible I think.

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we pretty much cakewalked through our first playthrough, maybe you are doing something wrong. or I am :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the first try the Elf encountered the longest obstacle in the deck. It also had 2 attack, so she was dead in 2 rounds, even though every available card went to that obstacle.

The second try I left the Elf in there in position 2, so she took one of the hard obstacles. No good.

Third try I changed the Elf to a Human and made it on the last turn.

I don't know why yours was different. Maybe having 4 actual players makes it easier? I know that I didn't use any assists because I was only looking at one hand at a time...Although there are only 3 assists that I can think of in the Black Market deck. Maybe I just had more inconvenient Crossfire cards. I know on two occasions it made 3/4 of the obstacles have 1 more strength. I also drew No Holding Back, when the mage had 5 cards in hand. I played 3 to no effect, but still took 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you can play damage on others' obstacles right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. That's why I said every available card went to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.