Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier today, my intrepid rebel squadron faced my wife's TIE defenders on the maiden trip of those defenders in her fleet.

I played:
Lt Blount + Ion Missiles + Swarm Tactics
Blue Squad Pilot + Ion Cannon
Gold Sq Pilot + Ion Turret
Colonel Salm + Ion Turret

She played
Brath + HLC + Stealth Device + Predator
Vessery + HLC + Stealth Device + Predator

I know her as a pretty cautious pilot, so I throw caution to the wind and advance my ships as far as I can, taking some B- and Y-wing stress. She flies the full green-5 with both defenders and takes some potshots at my ships. I say "potshots" but I mean -4 shields for the B-wing and -3 shields and 1 damage for Salm. The return fire is pretty limited, only the B-wing can fire and he deals no damage.

Round 2 sees the end of Colonel Salm as Rexler Brath reaches a flank shot at range 1 and fires once more four hits against zero evades. My B-wing takes some more damage while Vessery is "hit" by Blount. Tally: 1( damage vs 1.

In the subsequent rounds (I can't remember all of it in detail ) she finishes off my B-wing (I think already in turn 3) while Brath is ionised by the Gold Y-wing.

My 2 remaining ships round the large asteroid and reach the flank of the K-turning Brath while Vessry is K-turning all the way at the other side of the asteroid field - Brath is ionised once again. I totally miscalculate my subsequent move and rather than arriving in Brath's flank, my Lt Blount ends up at range 1 of Brath, exposing his own starboard flank - with Vessery closing in fast. The Gold Y-wing takes some damage, Blount evaporates and I surrender.

Final damage tally (including the surrendered Y-wing): 28 vs 7.

I had my doubts about the 2x defender built, but this was a tragedy ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty awesome. The Defender is becoming one of my favorite ships. Just tonight I suffered a brutal loss when I misplayed my opening and ended up down to just Brath against a Firespray, Phantom and Interceptor. He held on to make a game of it at the end killing the other two small ships but he Firespray got him in the end.

I think I need to buy another one so I can try your wife's list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a list giving Vessery Veteran Instincts while Brath carried outmaneuver? Both of them had homing missiles, ion cannons, and engine upgrades. I was impressed when I flew it and managed to win my first match, but loosing initiative against another 8 list managed to get me a loss. Mostly I guess because I couldn't get a bearing on my enemies and lost one of my ships early.

Two-ship lists are risky, no question there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had surprising success with this:

Brath + Predator
Vessery
Omicron + Darth Vader (or just Yorr)
=100pts

Both defenders are effectively shooting as if they had a TL+F stack, thanks to Vessery's free TL ability, and the shuttle is no slouch either since it usually picks off a fighter that survives the defenders with an auto-crit.

Alternatively, Yorr is fun since he makes the defender dial a lot better by soaking up the stress. This means he can't do his 0 maneuver and makes him harder to fly, and I prefer the Vader shuttle for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.