Hide
10 Posts

Machina Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused about Doors and Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wirtz
msg tools
We've played a few games and are confused about how Monsters interact with doors. Our assumption is that Monsters cannot open doors, but can only destroy them. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but remember that doors start open and are not a barrier to monsters unless an explorer shuts them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wirtz
msg tools
And when Monsters determine their move, do they always choose to avoid closed doors (rules seemed to imply this)?

Meaning that if a Monster is next to a closed door and Explorer is directly on the other side of the door, and another Explorer is 30 spaces away, but on a clear path- the Monster will take that long trek to the Explorer 30 tiles away instead of breaking the door?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
On the contrary, monster will ignore doors when calculating shortest path.
The explorer A is 3 spaces away from the monster, and explorer B is 2 spaces away from the monster but behind the closed doors - the monster will go toward explorer B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the monster has spend 2 stamina to move and it doesn't have enough stamina to destroy the closed doors. Will it forfeit his unused stamina if there's no more options to perform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burton
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
What if the monster has spend 2 stamina to move and it doesn't have enough stamina to destroy the closed doors. Will it forfeit his unused stamina if there's no more options to perform?

This is how I understand it as the monster is as close to the closest explorer as it can get.

Asipu wrote:
The explorer A is 3 spaces away from the monster, and explorer B is 2 spaces away from the monster but behind the closed doors - the monster will go toward explorer B.

I believe that Juraj's explanation would support that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m still unsure about monster tactics with respect to doors. The rule book says that “All units can destroy an adjacent, closed door”, but it does not say whether or when a monster will destroy a door (unlike barriers, for which it explicitly states the monster will destroy a barrier blocking its path.)

Hypothetically, if a monster could get closer to an explorer by moving around a wall instead of stopping to break down a door, which option would it choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:

Hypothetically, if a monster could get closer to an explorer by moving around a wall instead of stopping to break down a door, which option would it choose?

Trevin, I know this question is a year old, but it is similar to my question. From Juraj's description, I am concluding that monsters always take the shortest route to the closest explorer. That means it would go to the door and wait a turn to break it down if it had to, rather than going around to get closer. Going around is NOT the shortest route, even if it has a better result for the monster overall. This avoids the risk of having to make judgement calls for the monsters.

This is important as doors are a big part of managing the monster flow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Exactly Joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.