Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got together with some friends this weekend, and really wanted to show them Marvel Dice Masters. We didn't want to play 1v1 games as we all like playing games together.

So, we decided to play teams, using the following rules.

(This is basically just the Magic 2-Head giant rules, modified)

1 - Players will be in teams with 20 life per player, so for our 2v2 game, each team had 40 life, and each member of the team will have their own deck.

2a - Deck Construction: Each team's 2 decks will be built using standard rules, up to 8 characters, with up to 20 dice. Additionally, we restricted teams to only one of each character per team. So, if my ally is using Cyclops, then I can't use either the same Cyclops, nor a different one. Only one Cyclops per team. (Same with all characters)

2b - Deck Construction additional: For action cards, because we only have the same colors, each team brought a total of 2 action cards, but we put 6 dice on each action card (My wife and I have 2 starter sets), so we ended up with 4 action cards, with 6 dice each. In the future, when we get those cool 'other colored' dice from X-Men, we will allow 2 action cards per member of each team, for a total of up to 8 different action cards, each with 3 dice on it.

3 - Each team takes their turn simultaneously. This means you both do your rolls, and re-rolls at the same time. You both make your purchases, and field characters together, and then you both enter the attack phase together.

4 - Attack Phase: You and your ally attack as a team, and your opponents defend as a team. The attack force can consist of characters from each team, same with the defending force, with any defender being able to attempt block of any attacker.

5a - Your Cards: Any card that talks about your characters or cards, like:
Green Goblin "Goblin Lord" - your sidekick characters get +1A / +1D
Nick Fury "Mr. Anger" - field your Avengers for free
only affect YOUR forces, so YOUR sidekicks (not your ally's) get the bonus, and YOU can field Avengers for free, not your ally.

5b - Opposing characters: Any card that talks about your opponent's characters, like:
Hulk "Green Goliath" - when you or Hulk take damage, deal 2 damage to each opposing character
Storm "Goddess of the Plains" - when Storm attacks, roll each of your opponent's characters
only affect 1 opponent's characters, so Hulk will deal 2 damage only to 1 opponents characters, and Storm will only re-roll 1 opponent's characters. If you have multiple, you can choose different opponent's for each effect. So if you have 2 Hulks, and he takes damage and 2 separate times in a round, you could have him do 6 to one player's characters, or 3 to each opponent's characters.

5 Special case

- Spiderman "Wall Crawler" (the change an opponent's life to 10 Spiderman). He effects one opponents current share of their life. So, at the beginning, with 40 life on the team, if this Spiderman made it through, then each opponent's share is 20 life, then one of them would be set to 10 life, then he would do his damage of 3-5, depending on the level (Let's pretend it was 4 for this example), leaving 6 life for that opponent, then it would all be recombined again, to 26.

- If Spiderman would make it through again, then it would be 13 / 13, one would be set to 10 for 10/13, then the 4 damage again, for 6 / 13, then combine again to 19.

That's how we played.

One quick explanation - we went with the Team attacks Team option, instead of attacking a specific player, so that if someone is having poor luck, their ally is there for them. Plus, we find that this makes it feel more team like, than the "attack across" option, which feels like 2 simultaneous 1v1 games. If we wanted that, we'd just play 2 1v1 games. We wanted a truly team like feel.

As for the result, we LOVED it, but there is one huge difference.

For our tournament decks, we can play our 3 matches in about the 45 minute time limit.

For our multiplayer decks, which we did not include the unfriendly cards for our friend's beginner games, like Tsarina, or Johnny Storm, each of our games lasted an hour a piece. (for 1 game)

So the pacing was completely different. One super cool thing, is that it gave time for the big guys, the 6's and 7's time to come out and shine. The Hulk mentioned above, even with the restriction, was a dominating force. It was so fun for us to get that epic super hero brawl going. We can't wait to play again. And we did right after the first game, after giving our friends the option to tweak their heroes a bit.

If you are looking for a larger game than 1v1, and for a more epic feel in scope and time, I recommend the above.

If you have any questions, or recommendations based on the variant, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I want to try it that way. Currently our team games are more of the free for all variety where you just get to choose which opponent to attack and you can eliminate one player.
That definitely created a problem for us as every game it always turned into, gang up on the weakest link and when they are gone, double team the survivor.
Your way will eliminate that issue.

It also makes things more straight forward with cards like Tsarina. We had a debate over if she attacks player A, could she use her special ability on player B, and if so, could either player spin down a die to prevent? etc.

So your method above solves any rules issue over any ability that effects an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Grant
United States
Buffalo Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
geekmail to jimgrant
badge
geekmail to jimgrant
mbmbmbmbmb
We did things similarly a couple weeks ago with good results too. I think we also had the starting team have only 1 player start on turn 1 (the second player for what it's worth). Then team 2 had both players participate on their turn with the teams alternating for the rest of the game with both players participating each turn. Having only half the team go first seemed to mitigate what could be a brutal early advantage with double the dice being rolled each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas funtanilla
msg tools
This is the same thing that my Roomy, Wife, and I came up with for our Multiplayer Rules. Worked really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds cool, but there is a weakness here: global effects. Keeping track of those across 32 character cards sounds like no fun, especially with your 8 action card suggestion (in your future scenario with 8 colors of action dice). That would definitely make the game last longer.

One way to mitigate this would be to have only 4 action cards, and to have global effects on a character card usable by only you and the opponent sitting opposite from you. That would increase rule complexity to decrease gameplay complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point about a preponderance of global effects, but the game probably should last a bit longer if you're playing with four - at least for me I'd want a slightly more "epic" feel. That said, I don't think it'd last that much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are trying this variant this weekend. My concern is also with the possibility of too many globals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the 4 extra Action cards don't scare me, because adding 16 other characters was the thing that made me cringe.

Action cards are at least in the middle, but your opponents' cards are so far away.

It's actually why I made these super over-sized cards:

Now, I never forget a global. We just mark off the globals in play, and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have access to a full set of cards, I think a random draft would work really well for 4 players.

Shuffle up all 134 cards and deal out 20 commons, 9 uncommons and 3 rare/superrares. I'd probably discard any duplicates so there was just one unique version of each character in the game, but maybe it'd be more fun to keep 2 versions (if you have enough dice) and discard the 3rd if you draw it.

IN any event, that's 32 cards. Shuffle the pile of 32 and deal out in 4 stacks of 8. Players draft and pass like 7 Wonders to create their teams.

I think this would be incredible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Tirado
Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Actually, the 4 extra Action cards don't scare me, because adding 16 other characters was the thing that made me cringe.

Action cards are at least in the middle, but your opponents' cards are so far away.

Now, I never forget a global. We just mark off the globals in play, and go from there.

That's super cool, will you upload it to the BGG files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marianoth wrote:
crambaza wrote:

That's super cool, will you upload it to the BGG files?
Sure.

I won't be home for about 2 weeks, which is where the file is, but when I get home, I'll submit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.