Subject: Amalgam Customs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd throw my hat into the variant Legendary ring with some 90's goodness- The Amalgam Universe!

I was able to track down enough images for some of my favorite dc/marvel combos but need your suggestions for card powers and stats.

Here's what I've started so far:

Feel free to copy and paste this list below with your suggestions:

Dark Claw
Uncommon: vicious strike
Common 1: dark knight
Common 2: claws & effect
Rare: Gotham defender

Spider-boy
Uncommon: aracna-kid
Common 1: foot meet face
Common 2: attack of the clone
Rare: web gun

Amazon
Uncommon:
Common 1:
Common 2:
Rare:

Super Soldier
Uncommon:
Common 1:
Common 2:
Rare:

It's been awhile since I read the issues so I'm a little foggy for title text.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had an idea of doing an entire team as one character much like the old overpower monumental expansion. So essentially each team would have one special per character:

-Magneto and his metal men (antimony, cobalt, leads, etc)
-JLX (names escape me but cyclops/the ray was one)
-X-patrol (beastling,ferro man, shatter star fire)

As for the heroes I have above I was thinking of using the letter A in a comic book font for an 'amalgam team' that are part of that universe but more of the loners category.

And doctor doomsday would be the mastermind with bizarrange and others as the villains.

Can't wait to post more pics tomorrow! (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
I also had an idea of doing an entire team as one character much like the old overpower monumental expansion. So essentially each team would have one special per character:

-Magneto and his metal men (antimony, cobalt, leads, etc)
-JLX (names escape me but cyclops/the ray was one)
-X-patrol (beastling,ferro man, shatter star fire)

As for the heroes I have above I was thinking of using the letter A in a comic book font for an 'amalgam team' that are part of that universe but more of the loners category.

And doctor doomsday would be the mastermind with bizarrange and others as the villains.

Can't wait to post more pics tomorrow! (:

Apollo was the Cyclops/Ray one, and a personal favorite of mine, Mariner was the Aquaman/Namor, Skrullian Manhunter/Mr. X was the Martian Manhunter/Professor X, Chaos was Apollo's brother (not sure who havok was fused with), they invited Amazon/Wonder Woman if I recall correctly, Mercury was the Quicksilver/Impulse one, the Ice/Iceman one I think was called Iceberg, Runaway was the Rogue amalgam, Wraith was the Gambit/Obsidian one, Firebird was the Jean Grey/Fire amalgam, and Nightcreeper was the Nightcrawler/Creeper one. Oh an Angelhawk was the Hawkman/Angel one that stayed with the Judgment League: Avengers.

In case you can't tell, JLX was my favorite

Spider-Boy was my second favorite, namely Spider-Boy Team-Up.

I did really like the amalgams they came up with in the access series though, Captain America Jr. was funny, and I really liked Quick Freeze.

Big Question and Green Skull could be good Masterminds, but I think the best Mastermind would be Dr. Strangefate. He had his hero team, but in the Access limited series he became more of an antagonist, deuteragonist, is I believe what he's considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great recap! (;

Here's what I worked on today:

Not sure if I like the art for foot meets face...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Is there a random X-men symbol on Spider-boys boot in the first common?...

I never read or even heard about this comic line. But, the idea sounds awesome. Combining characters from Marvel and DC into one person. Sounds great.

Since, I never read the series I dont have much to contribute specifics. But I do know the individuals. Like Batman and Wolverine. I just dont know them as a combined hero together. But sounds fun to play with new mechanics that combine their powers together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Dark Claw
Common 1:
-Title: dark knight
-Card Text- "Place this card in an empty city space. When a villain enters that space it is -2#. When you defeat this villain discard dark knight."
-Card cost- 3
*This Card text needs to be reworded. Basically, Batman and wolverine like to stalk their prey. They wait in the shadows for their enemies. They pick the perfect moment to strike. "Dark Knight" is trying to accomplish that. You can place this card in an empty city space anticipating a villain will enter it. And when a villain enters that space you can activate Dark Knight giving the villain -2#. When you defeat that villain discard Dark Knight. *

Common 2:
-Title: vicious strike
-1#
-Card Text- "You may draw a wound and gain 1# or draw two wounds and gain 2#
-Card Cost-2
*Wolverine will strike unrelenting to his own good or health*

Uncommon:
-Title: claws & effect-
-Card Text- "Reveal the top card of our deck, +# equal to that cards cost"
-Card Cost-4
*I like the random factor that claws can have, This card title reminded me of heroclix. In heroclix a character with blades/claws/fangs rolls the die to see how much attack it produces. I wanted to emulate that effect by revealing the top card of your deck.*

Rare:
-Title: Gotham defender
-4#
-Card Text: "You may place any wounds from your hand or discard pile onto a villain in the city. Each wound is -1# to that villain. Those wounds are KOed when that villain is defeated.
-Card Cost- 7
*Wolverine can heal from his wounds. Batman is smart and techie, so perhaps he develops a way to give those wounds back to his enemies.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!

Those are fantastic! Keep going! I'll create the Dark claw cards using your text tomorrow. You should give that series a read- it was quirky but a lot of fun to see who was mixed with who. Would love to see a revival of this series.

Here's a favorite poster of mine by joe mad of pretty much everyone:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:
Is there a random X-men symbol on Spider-boys boot in the first common?....

Yes there is- that shouldn't be there. Good catch. I'll delete it. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
First off, I agree, I dont like the art for "foot meet Face"

Spider-Boy

Common 1
Title: Daring Rescue
1*
Card text: "You may draw a wound and gain 1* or draw two wounds and gain 2*"
Cost- 2
* Similar to what I did for Dark Claw, but for recruit. Spiderman and Robin are always willing to take the pain in order to save a loved one or bystander. They will take the hit to make the save.*

Common 2
Title: Web Gun
2#
Card Text: "KO this card to stop a villain from escaping the city. Place that villain back on top of the villain deck"
Cost- 4
*Spiderman's webs are able to tangle up that villain and stall him from escaping and send him back on top of the villain deck. This card only helps prevent a villain from escaping this turn. Because you know that the next draw will be that same villain. So you better defeat a villain from the city otherwise another will escape next turn. Hence, web gun only tangles up the villains for a short while.*

Uncommon
Title: Gravity Manipulation
3*
Card Text: Wall-Crawl
Additional Text: "When you recruit this card from the HQ, if another hero adjacent to it costs less, recruit that card for free"
Card Cost- 5

Rare
Title: Arachna-Kid

That is all I got for now. I will finish later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree- foot meets face needs to go. Found some different images that might work better:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one would work best for web gun while the last one could replace foot meets face----perhaps 'super wall crawler' ??

Or what was superboy's power? Tactile telekinesis? I'll have to see what his powers are exactly on comicvine.com

-----------------------

Here we go:

Spider-Boy has the ability to control the focus of his personal gravity (affecting how gravity affects him). By pulling his gravity focus sideways he can walk up walls. He can lower his personal gravity to jump farther and higher, or lower the gravity of objects he touches, enabling him to lift things that are much to heavy to physically lift otherwise, which gives him a measure of super-strength .

Spider-Boy carries a futuristic pistol, called a Web-Shooter, that fires synthetic spider-webs which can be used to tangle enemies or create web-lines to swing from. Spider-Boy has said that the Web-Shooter has a mind of it's own sometimes, as it has occasionally aimed and fired webs without him (such as moving his arm and firing webs at a control panel to hit a button to contain a symbiote called Bizarnage)

At one point he even had a ring that granted him flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looked up Amazon's/wonder woman's powers as well. Whoa...

Powers And Abilities

Accelerated Healing
"Danger Sense"
Flight
Intelligence
Leadership Skills
Lightning Lasso "The Amazons Taught Ororo How To Create A Lasso Of Lightning That Forces Those Ensnared By It To Tell The Truth
Longevity
Weather Manipulation
Swordsmanship
Superhuman Agility
Superhuman Senses
Superhuman Speed
Superhuman Stamina
Superhuman Strength
Superhuman Durability
Unarmed Combat Proficiency

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
suggestions:

"Attack of the Clone"
-This card can get over powered very fast. Playing solo, he could get out of hand. Maybe put a cap on how much attack he can get. Max of 3 attack. And the text would read easier, "+1 # for every other Spider-boy played this turn. With +3# as the maximum". And have his base attack stat be 1.
-I would have this card cost 3.

"Arachna-Kid"
-Do you think his card cost should be a 6?

"Vicious Strike"
-Have the base attack be 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I'll make those changes as well.

Currently working on naming cards for the metal men and JLX--along with what type of icon for each.

I'll post images later today...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't get around to the card art today- however, thought I'd get a jump start on the harder of the two 'team' heroes I had mentioned earlier: JLX & magneto and his magnetic/metal men.

I read up on the teams origins, personalities, powers and did my best to translate it to the stats of legendary. I created the following word document with the card title first followed by the heroes name, and lastly what icon and card border color would be used for each. This should help narrow down brainstorming the actual card text/ability that i have difficulty with.

A hero deck as one team logic:
JLX as I researched it had a lot of members- but ultimately I went with the meta mutants and a few stragglers from the original team like iron lantern. Mr. X, their leader is the rare card for this group while the team roster fills out the remaining uncommon and common cards(one hero per each card).....

JLX

Rare:
SECRET IDENTITY
MR. X
Instinct/Yellow

3 UNCOMMONS:
Uncommon:
POWER BATTERY
IRON LANTERN
Tech/Black

Uncommon:
SWIFT JUSTICE
ANGELHAWK
Fist/Green

Uncommon:
AQUATIC ASSAULT
MARINER
Fist/Green

5 COMMONS (1):
Common:
SUPER STRENGTH
RUNAWAY
Fist/Green

Common:
SPEEDSTER
MERCURY
Fist/Green

Common:
OPTIC BLAST
APOLLO
Ranged/Blue

Common:need a hero here....???

Common: need a hero here....speed demon?

5 COMMONS (2):
Common:
FIREBIRD
Ranged/Blue

Common:
SHADOWS
WRAITH
Instinct/Yellow

Common:
BROTHER’S BOND
CHAOS
Ranged/Blue

Common:
FROZEN
ICEBERG
Ranged/Blue

Common:
FREAK OUT
NIGHTCREEPER
Covert/Red

----------------------------

Magneto & his metal men I treated a bit differently as it had fewer members- magneto is the rare and uncommon cards while the metal men are the common cards:

MAGNETO AND HIS MAGNETIC MEN

Rare:
BORN LEADER
MAGNETO
Instinct/Yellow

3 Uncommons:
MASTER OF MAGNETISM
MAGNETO
Tech/Black

For the first set of common cards for the metal men I wanted to focus on their personalities and what each brings to the team:

5 Commons (1):
RADIOACTIVE
COBALT
Instinct/Yellow

UNBREAKABLE
ANTIMONY
Fist/Green

WHIZ KID
NICKEL
Tech/Black

TOXIC PUNCH
BISMUTH
Fist/Green

FORCE FIELD
IRON
Covert/Red

For the second set of metal men customs I wanted to focus on their ability to fight so they all have fist specials/green common cards. I still need card titles for these...

5 Commons (2):
Cobalt
Fist/Green

Antimony
Fist/Green

Nickel
Fist/Green

Bismuth
Fist/Green

Iron
Fist/Green

Hope this all makes sense. Love to hear any input...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
It seems ok to do a group of cards for the Metal Men, but Magneto is powerful enough on his own to deserve a whole set on his own.

Same with the JLX. I think it is short changing the individual heroes their own set of cards. I think it takes away from the game.

For minor groups like Metal men that seems fine. For instance, there are five metal men each can have their own 2 commons, and then pair them up for the uncommons and have a big team picture for the rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. I decided to do it this way because there is so little artwork out there for both teams- that's really the only thing from holding me back and do a 'regular' hero card set with just one hero each. Unless I go old school and just do the one piece if artwork for all the cards like the original set.

Or just scrap the JLX entirely. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Maybe just try the heroes that do have enough art and ill try to find some. maybe someone else will pick up this thread and help out too.

JLX members include:
-Amazon
-Angel Hawk
-Apollo
-Chaos
-Firebird
-Iceberg
-Mariner
-Mercury
-Mr. X
-Nightcreeper
-Runaway
-Wraith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
That is a large group of heroes to create. Let us start from the top. Amazon

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/square_medium/5/55780/15...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/square_medium/8/80523/15...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/square_medium/5/55780/10...

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll327/crayotic/CBH%20Cuts...

There are a few photos for her. Not sure if the quality is good enough though. You will have to be the judge on that.

Common 1
Title: "Lightning Lasso"
2*
Card Text: "Reveal the top two cards of the villain deck or the hero deck. Place them back in any order"
Cost- 3
*The lasso of truth as it is called. You can find out the truth of the order of cards and rearrange them using the lasso*

Common 2
Title: "Whirlwind"
2#
Card Text: "Reveal the top card of the Villain deck. If it is a villain you may swap it with a villain on the Bridge or Rooftops."
Cost-3
*Her ability to manipulate the weather can cause villains to swap spaces from the Bridge or Rooftop to the top of the villain deck. Combo's nicely with Lightning Lasso.*

Uncommon
Title: "Amazon Princess"
Card Text: "Stack this card next to the Mastermind. When you fight the mastermind, gain +3# for each card stacked. KO this card once it has been used to fight the mastermind."
Cost- 4
*This is her royalty side fighting for position against the mastermind*

Rare
Title: "??" *Something to do with super strength*
3#+
Card Text: "Gain +1# for each revealed card this turn."
Cost-6
*I wanted her cards to combo well. So this card has to do with her strength and utilizing her other abilities.*

What do you think? I need a name for the Rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I'll be able to get to the art tomorrow to post new cards. (:

I was starting to pencil out ideas for super solider and amazon:

Amazon:
-combat reflexes (rare?)
-chain lightening
-metamutant (the term used in amalgam referring to mutants)
-lasso of truth

Super soldier:
-alter ego (rare) Clark kent his true identity
- red, white and alien (referring to his kryptonian serum used to create him)
- shield throw (a ranged icon card)
-American hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
jbwc wrote:
Great! I'll be able to get to the art tomorrow to post new cards. (:

I was starting to pencil out ideas for super solider and amazon:

Amazon:
-combat reflexes (rare?)
-chain lightening
-metamutant (the term used in amalgam referring to mutants)
-lasso of truth

Super soldier:
-alter ego (rare) Clark kent his true identity
- red, white and alien (referring to his kryptonian serum used to create him)
- shield throw (a ranged icon card)
-American hero

I just did Amazon. The previous post is Amazon cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know- just listing my initial ideas to see where we matched up- not sure if u wanted to use my rare title or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here she is...

Found some great images on Pinterest actually.

Working on your earlier changes to spider-boy and dark claw. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was searching for images I did find several for Speed Demon. He'll be the next one (after super soldier) I'll be brainstorming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.