Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Spurs: A Tale in the Old West» Forums » General

Subject: Paper Money Replacement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bosch
msg tools
I've decided to upgrade the items in this game to give the theme a more satisfying feel. A game this thematic deserves it.

Replacing the bullets is an easy fix. I'll buy Table Pins and paint them. As to the player figures, I haven't yet decided whether to buy Wild West figures and paint them or to paint the figures provided in the game. I'll use meeples for the cattle and such.

What to do about the money is where I'm stuck. It's the only element of the game I dislike. Thin paper, all denominations look the same, and is ugly.

I've looked online for coin tokens and have not come up with anything suitable. Most tokens are fantasy or medieval based. I also found currency for outer-space themed games and futuristic coins. I haven't found anything that would be both thematic for a Western and affordable.

Has anyone come up with a replacement idea?

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookie Cruncher wrote:
I've decided to upgrade the items in this game to give the theme a more satisfying feel. A game this thematic deserves it.

Replacing the bullets is an easy fix. I'll buy Table Pins and paint them. As to the player figures, I haven't yet decided whether to buy Wild West figures and paint them or to paint the figures provided in the game. I'll use meeples for the cattle and such.

What to do about the money is where I'm stuck. It's the only element of the game I dislike. Thin paper, all denominations look the same, and is ugly.

I've looked online for coin tokens and have not come up with anything suitable. Most tokens are fantasy or medieval based. I also found currency for outer-space themed games and futuristic coins. I haven't found anything that would be both thematic for a Western and affordable.

Has anyone come up with a replacement idea?

Thanks.


We use $5 poker chips. $10's and $25's too. Works great and each player I give a money sack so that you don't know how much they have unless you win a duel then you and peek inside and steal 1/2 their poker chips.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Clever solution. What denominations appear amongst the original paper versions, and in what quantities?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Densmc wrote:
Clever solution. What denominations appear amongst the original paper versions, and in what quantities?


5s 10s & 20s not sure how much. I got rid of the paper money. I have a poker tray that holds 100 chips of all 3 types and don't run out. I use a $25 chip instead of a 20 cause that's what the set came with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
Nice solution. Thanks much. I hope I can find chips that evoke a Western feeling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookie Cruncher wrote:
Nice solution. Thanks much. I hope I can find chips that evoke a Western feeling.


Found a cowboy themed poker chip set for you http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
I bought it. It's very nice for the price. Thank you for everything and I'll tip you after I buy geek gold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Densmc wrote:
Clever solution. What denominations appear amongst the original paper versions, and in what quantities?

The game only comes with $5 and $10 paper money. I don't have the game in front of me, so not sure how many bills are included, but probably around 20-25 of each.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info. I'll have a substitute ready when my copy arrives.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bosch
msg tools
mvettemagred wrote:
Densmc wrote:
Clever solution. What denominations appear amongst the original paper versions, and in what quantities?

The game only comes with $5 and $10 paper money. I don't have the game in front of me, so not sure how many bills are included, but probably around 20-25 of each.


There are 30 $5 bills and 30 $10 dollar bills.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the ugly paper money is probably one of the most thematically fitting elements.

I also like the poker chips. We have a set we used for Deadlands that we can repurpose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dunn
United States
Glenpool
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
There's currently a Kickstarter for gaming coins, they have several different types including an Old West theme: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/420090979/fantasy-gamin...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.