Subject: 19.07.2014 Berlin Regionals - 3rd place rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having read Jan's post about his fourth place, I thought I'd give a small report as well

From our local Hamburg city grid six players went to Berlin. We departed at Hamburg quite early in the morning and arrived approximately 45 minutes before the event began in Berlin.

For me, the tournament was the third regional I took part in. I played the regional in Hamburg (5th place) and another one in Wroclaw (24th place) and as I had a playmat and some virus tokens already, I just came for the fun and to meet the community. I wanted to play two different identities, but due to a lack in time, I could not build own decks.
Instead I browsed through stimhack.com and looked for two good decks with identities I never played in a tournament before.
Because deep in my heart I am an Anarch, I played the known "Anatomy of Anarch"-Reina deck, hoping to have some fun. Even though I knew about the popularity of this deck and that people will likely know it, I thought it to be a good fit to my playstyle. The decklist can be found herehttp://stimhack.com/nationals-france-2014-111-players/.
For the corp deck, I decided for a midseason-deck, that I only changed a tiny bit. I dropped out a Rototurret and put in an Eli 1.0. The original decklist can be found under: http://stimhack.com/regionals-toronto-2014-58-players/
I took the decks to our local game night 3 days before the tournament and played each deck about two or three times. Tests went well, and so the fun could begin.

---------
ROUND 1
---------
Pairings for round 1 made me play against Mateusz from Poznan. I saw him already in Wroclaw, but we didn't get to play there.
If I remember correctly, he played NBN:MN and Andromeda. He won the die roll (prime or non-prime) and chose to run first.
From the beginning on, his economy was enormous. Security testings, Desperado, Dirty Laundry made him pile huge amounts of cash. This basically rendered all my psychographics and midseasons dead cards.
He controlled the whole game and deserved that win.

After the switch, it was me who took the points. Quite early he made a terrible mistake. He had 8 credits and wanted to rez the ICE in front of HQ with a rook hosted on it. He mistook the rook for a knight and showed me a Shinobi. This knowledge was extremely useful, as I knew I could savely Siphon him. It took a while until he drew ICE, but by that time I controlled the game. I parasited annoying stuff like Eli 1.0 and could get into his servers repeatedly for close to no money. Eventually, I took the win.

Prestige: 2-2

---------
ROUND 2
---------
Pairings made me play against Steve who came with me from Hamburg. He played a NEXT Design and a Kit deck. Both games were over quite fast. I remember that even after the mulligan he only had 1 ICE to install from his identities ability. Without eco on his starting hand, I forced him to rez his HQ ICE, leaving him with too little to rez R&D ICE. I top decked a priority req and installed a deep red. Next turn I installed a Knight on the HQ ICE, siphoned him, indexed him and took a Mandatory Upgrades. He managed to score a Beta Test which yielded a Wotan and something else, but I could sneak into HQ once more and pulled the winning agenda. It turned out he had terribly flooded and actually didn't stand a real chance with those cards from the beginning.
I don't remember a lot from my Corp game. I am pretty certain though, that I just had an AstroTrain rolling and he lacked economy so he couldn't trash SanSans. That allowed me to Fast Track and Score Astros one after the other.

Prestige: 6-2

---------
ROUND 3
---------
I was paired against Finn, who is also a local player. We play each other regularly and have quite some fun, mostly because I botch things up royally regularly. I went with Reina first against his GRNDL. And hell did she a job. I think I siphoned him 4 times quite early with the help of Deja Vu and Same Old Thing. He was broke, with the help of overmind I stole an Atlas from a remote and a False Lead from R&D. Data Leak Reversal milled 6 cards and I had a full plascrete installed. Everything was under control. Until I failed hard and ended a turn with only 3 hand cards, while he had 5 credits. Credit+Scorch+Scorch sealed the game in his favor. That loss was unnecessary and dumb, but that's what happens when I play against Finn I even had a second Plascrete on hand, so this made things worse...
My corp game was really bad. I think it was the worst agenda flood I ever suffered from. At the beginning, I tried to midseason him by sacrificing an NAPD Contract. But unluckily, he had boost economy right in that moment so I couldn't. A couple of turns later, without enabling any opportunity to do something, my HQ after mandatory draw consisted of:
NAPD Contract, NAPD Contract, Beale, Beale, Beale, Astro, Astro.
Talk about agenda flood. I only could sacrifice another NAPD.
Adding insult to injury, the next mandatory draw was a celebrity gift. I gladly played it to get some money and conceded the game right after that

Prestige: 6-6

---------
ROUND 4
---------
Round 4 took me into the basement where the other tables were located. If I remember correctly, my opponents name was Richard. He played an RP deck, which didn't draw enough ICE. I think I stole a Fetal AI and an NAPD contract and could steal a Future Perfect from HQ.
I can't remember who his runner was and don't remember anything of that game at all, but I won it.

Prestige 10-6

---------
ROUND 5
---------
I went outside again to play Jan for the first time today. I knew that I had chances to reach the cut if I win at least one game due to my good tie-breakers. Jan won the die-roll and decided to run with his PpVP-Kate first. I tried to land Midseason, but each time I sacrificed an NAPD, he had the burst economy ready. That and the fact that after I recovered thanks to SanSans he took the only Beale out of 5 cards in HQ for the win made me feel a little unlucky. So all was to be decided in the runner game.
HB certainly is not a great matchup for Reina. The game was really really intense. He put something in the remote which I was pretty certain was an Eve. So I siphoned him in order to force him to rez her, which he promptly did. After a normal access I destroyed her. During the game I trashed another 2 Adonis and one more Eve because I knew this was necessary. He locked down HQ with Inazuma+Eli. I Deja Vued two parasites, one killed a Quandary in front of Archives directly, the other was placed on the HQ-Eli. I ran Archives for sucker-tokens and saw an NAPD I couldn't steal. I was at five points already, but my turn ended. He had no ICE to ICE Archives and no Jackson, so I took credits and stole the NAPD in the last turn. Yeah! Made it!

Prestige: 12-8

---------
After Swiss I was ranked 7th and was already very happy. Now of course, I hoped to finish top4 to get a plastic ID.
---------
Double Elimination Round 1:
As Jan was placed 2nd after Swiss, he played me right again and chose to corp. This game he made an awesome call by using biotic in order to score Gila Hands. This allowed him to recover from anything so much faster and as a result, he won comfortably.

Double Elimination Loser Bracket Round 2:
Another time I played a player I already met in the tournament.
Mateusz, my opponent from round 1 wanted to corp.
This was one hell of a game for me. The deck went so extremely smoothly.
I siphoned him like a hundred times and never let him any time to recover. Turned out he drew unluckily and was quite flooded, so
at the end I found enough points in Archives for the win.

Double Elimination Loser Bracket Round 3:
And it's Finn again. Turned out, I had quite a tough Swiss Program with 3 of my 5 opponents reaching top 8. I had to play Corp against him and was only hoping, not to get too flooded again. If I win, this would mean I reach the top 4 and a nice plastic ID. I don't remember too many details, just that Finn was broke and couldn't trash SanSans, which is always bad. AstroTrain won this game.

TOP 4 !! Yeah

Double Elimination Loser Bracket Round 4:
And it's Jan again Again I was meant to Corp. I didn't have a good start and I took a risk trying to sneak out an early Beale behind a cheap ETR. Especially with a Midseason in hand and quite some credits, I thought this to be ok. Turned out, I hate PpVP Burst economy. Due to a lack of possibilities and a threatening agenda flood, I did that again, but this time with an NAPD. Again he stole it, again he had the burst economy. Ok, a third time. He stole it, but this time I finally could midseason him, even though only for a mere 3 tags. However, as he was broke, it took him time to remove tags and everything, so I could recover. I had scored a Breaking News quite early and now I could fast advance an Astro, that I had fast tracked. In that move, I top decked another astro. And I still had another NAPD contract in hand. I scored both Astros and was sitting with 2 astro tokens, one rezzed SanSan and 1 credit. HQ was only protected by a Viper, R&D was Eli+Caduceus.
Jan was thinking hard and decided to run R&D with the help of a shenaniganed Femme. He bypassed Eli but forgot Femme can break Caduceus, so i traced him and ended the run. Next turn, I scored the NAPD from hand and won the match. At the end, it turned out his blunder on R&D wouldn't have made a difference, as he wouldn't have found anything of value. However, this was an interesting comeback! And I had the third place save, my best rank ever!

Double Elimination Round 5:
I had to play against Alex, who is one of the strongest players I know. He slept at my place when he participated at the Hamburg regional, so I know him quite well and knew, this was going to be very tough. I was happy to corp, because against his RP deck, I didn't see many chances to win.
The game was signified by an enormous AstroTrain. Alex scored all of them, one from HQ and the other 2 directly behind each other from R&D.
That was quite frustrating, but I felt I had been lucky in the other rounds in double elimination, so eventually, I was not really sad. Alex deserved the win and is a really good sportsman.

We watched the final and saw a very intense match that was won by another PpVP Kate. That deck archetype is certainly strong.

Huge thanks to all the players that participated, especially to the polish ones that were not demotivated by the stupid publisher ruling concerning non-native cards. It is always awesome to meet new players and talk about this awesome game! Hope to see many of you soon again!

Marcel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kohlmann
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really sad, that the first time we met in a tournament the game was that one-sided. However, I am sure that we will meet again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice read!

What is that publisher ruling? That people couldn't play with cards from a different language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milhouse46 wrote:
Nice read!

What is that publisher ruling? That people couldn't play with cards from a different language?

Exactly (with the exception of English cards). That led to some players of Poland not attending. The others managed to organise decks in english...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.