Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is both players agreeing to do nothing in a negotiation a successful deal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
If in a negotiation both players can't make a deal and then just both agree to nothing, is that considered a successful deal?

We're basically never having any deals fail in our games, since this is what players resort to if they can't agree on anything..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For the deal to be considered successful, at least one card or one colony must trade hands between players. It's OK if the deal is lopsided (only one person gives something) or two-way but somethings gotta actually happen or both players lose three ships to the warp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks - I didn't think it was right that players could just agree to not agree...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
Awesome, thanks - I didn't think it was right that players could just agree to not agree...

Well, there would still be a semantical difference between agreeing to do nothing and not agreeing to do something, even if from a rule point-of-view they are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm finding is that most times players will just agree to walk away if they're not able to agree on anything else - so in our games, negotiations just NEVER fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook, under "If both players reveal a negotiate card":

Quote:
The players cannot agree to do nothing as a deal – either a card or a base must change hands for a deal to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
If in a negotiation both players can't make a deal and then just both agree to nothing, is that considered a successful deal?

We're basically never having any deals fail in our games, since this is what players resort to if they can't agree on anything..

Fantasy Flight Rules, Page 10
Quote:
The players cannot agree to do nothing as a deal – either a card
or a base must change hands for a deal to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 10. Last sentence in the second paragraph under "If Both Players Reveal Negotiate Cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Double ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, brilliant. People are going to complain so much about that in my group but I'm totally in favour of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if you want an encounter card that just lets you basically just walk away without losing anything, you're out of luck...

For a few more weeks. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retreat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Yep, if you want an encounter card that just lets you basically just walk away without losing anything, you're out of luck...

For a few more weeks. whistle

Tease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While in theory you can't agree to do nothing.. it is practically easy to come to an agreement which, in essence, means nothing. Like exchanging a junk card for a junk card.. or similar relatively meaningless deals. Occasionally, one or the other player can't but mostly it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
it is practically easy to come to an agreement which, in essence, means nothing. Like exchanging a junk card for a junk card.. or similar relatively meaningless deals. Occasionally, one or the other player can't but mostly it is possible.

Only one player has to gain something, so it could also be a mediocre card that isn't great but doesn't hurt; or one of the players could gain a home colony if his system already contains one of his opponent's foreign colonies and he doesn't currently coexist there.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
whistle

Jefferson lies. Never believe him. Oh wait, that's Bosco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
While in theory you can't agree to do nothing.. it is practically easy to come to an agreement which, in essence, means nothing. Like exchanging a junk card for a junk card.. or similar relatively meaningless deals. Occasionally, one or the other player can't but mostly it is possible.

Whenever I find myself in a floundering deal (which isn't often...either because the deal was already implied before the cards were ever laid down or because the opposing player has already decided that they want to force a failure), I will often try to weasel out of it by just making a one-sided offer. If I'm trying to purge my hand for a redraw, I'll offer "one card for nothing" and toss away some junk. If I'm looking for ammunition to stall a perceived upcoming encounter, I'll offer to "take one card for nothing".

Sometimes players won't go for it but sometimes they will. Even better, if you've got an unspoken alliance with another player (through the wonders of eye contact, body language and devious grins), this can serve as a good dupe on the other players, if used properly.

Red Player: "I'll just give you this junk card and we call it good, okay?"

Blue Player: "Alright. I'd rather not lose my ships."

(Players exchange an Attack 23)

Blue Player: "My turn...destiny says Green. I think I'm gonna need help. Red, would you like to join me?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.