Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions from this evenings sologame. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?

Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?


And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.


There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zolamnus wrote:
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?
no limit, but as you can only add on [SKILL] bonus to a given check, you might want to redistribute your wealth.

Quote:
Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?
Absolutely


Quote:
And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.
For each success you roll in your check the Monster loses one health. If it loses as much health as its toughness it is defeated. If you don't roll a number of successes equal to the Monster's damage, you lose one health for each point you are short. Check the rules for the definitions of Damage and Toughness on a monster token.


Quote:
There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.
Gates aren't the focus of the game the way they are in AH, that's probably what feels "off" to you. However, they have a massive impact on the game, ratcheting down the timer by advancing doom. Gate management is essential and if you "trust in the cards" to do the job for you you will surely lose every time. I rarely find that there's "nothing to do" (something that definitely can happen in AH - though sometimes it's more "nothing that you can do). If your in a City there's always Acquiring Assets, or in a named City you can improve your stats. If your at sea or in a wilderness location it can be a bit frustrating I agree.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
zolamnus wrote:
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?

There is no hand limit. The limitations exist in the fact that a character cannot have multiple copies of the same card (such as a Spell or Condition) and a character cannot stack bonuses of the same type no matter how many cards providing that bonus they have in their possession.

zolamnus wrote:
Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?


If the card says "an investigator" then you can target yourself. If it says "another investigator" then you cannot.


zolamnus wrote:
And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.


Sounds right. You take damage according to the difference between the number on the monster token and the number of successes you roll. The monster takes damage according to the absolute number of successes you roll.


zolamnus wrote:
There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.


They're not exactly hopping on trains and crossing the American Heartland or from one end of Asia to the other. Remember, these are distances measured in countries rather than in neighborhood streets or city blocks. Plus, thematically, why would a Zombie or axe-wielding Maniac chase me from Tokyo to Alaska to Buenos Aires when he could just stay in Tokyo and terrorize the many nameless citizens there?

A few do move (e.g. The Nightgaunt). But for the most part, I like the fact that they don't move around much. It lets the characters do what they want to do without getting swarmed 5-6 turns in by some huge moving monster stack of doom.

zolamnus wrote:
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.

Overall, I think the timer in the game is so tight that I should always be moving to solve the face-up mystery unless someone else is going to solve it that turn or I have a more pressing immediate objective. But I rarely feel like I have nothing to do. In fact, I would say I get that aimless feeling more often at the beginning of an AH game than I do in EH.

There are times where I feel like my actions may be limited (if, for example, I need to stay in place to close a gate that I failed to close the previous turn, AND there's a monster there, so I can't travel or rest or acquire assets. But I have found that acquiring assets (items or spells) early on can often give you an item that allows a unique Action that you can use on later turns when your other global choices are restricted or otherwise not available. The Actions listed on Item and Artifact and Spell cards are not usually restricted by the fact that you share the space with a monster or that you're at Sea instead of in a City.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
zolamnus wrote:
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?
no limit, but as you can only add on [SKILL] bonus to a given check, you might want to redistribute your wealth.

Quote:
Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?
Absolutely


Quote:
And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.
For each success you roll in your check the Monster loses one health. If it loses as much health as its toughness it is defeated. If you don't roll a number of successes equal to the Monster's damage, you lose one health for each point you are short. Check the rules for the definitions of Damage and Toughness on a monster token.


Quote:
There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.
Gates aren't the focus of the game the way they are in AH, that's probably what feels "off" to you. However, they have a massive impact on the game, ratcheting down the timer by advancing doom. Gate management is essential and if you "trust in the cards" to do the job for you you will surely lose every time. I rarely find that there's "nothing to do" (something that definitely can happen in AH - though sometimes it's more "nothing that you can do). If your in a City there's always Acquiring Assets, or in a named City you can improve your stats. If your at sea or in a wilderness location it can be a bit frustrating I agree.

Chris has posted all good points but if you find yourself uncertain what to do and your investigator is at a city then acquire a travel ticket. When something really nasty turns up, travel tickets help you get your investigator to the spot quickly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
zolamnus wrote:
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?
no limit, but as you can only add on [SKILL] bonus to a given check, you might want to redistribute your wealth.

Quote:
Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?
Absolutely


Quote:
And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.
For each success you roll in your check the Monster loses one health. If it loses as much health as its toughness it is defeated. If you don't roll a number of successes equal to the Monster's damage, you lose one health for each point you are short. Check the rules for the definitions of Damage and Toughness on a monster token.


Quote:
There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.
Gates aren't the focus of the game the way they are in AH, that's probably what feels "off" to you. However, they have a massive impact on the game, ratcheting down the timer by advancing doom. Gate management is essential and if you "trust in the cards" to do the job for you you will surely lose every time. I rarely find that there's "nothing to do" (something that definitely can happen in AH - though sometimes it's more "nothing that you can do). If your in a City there's always Acquiring Assets, or in a named City you can improve your stats. If your at sea or in a wilderness location it can be a bit frustrating I agree.



thanks alot. Well yeh i noticed quite quickly in the end last time that having too many gates were not exactly a good thing, the doom track moved horribly fast in the end
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
zolamnus wrote:
Ok so i played this solo now for the second time. I am enjoying the game even though i DO miss a few aspects from AH to be honest. This is much more simple to keep track of though and makes for a quicker game though.
There are a few things i get confused with just because of the AH experience I tend to compare them too much and forgets rules that are only for EH.

One thing i am not sure of is how many assets you may actually have? And how many of each type? Can you have unlimited Allies fo example?

There is no hand limit. The limitations exist in the fact that a character cannot have multiple copies of the same card (such as a Spell or Condition) and a character cannot stack bonuses of the same type no matter how many cards providing that bonus they have in their possession.

zolamnus wrote:
Another thing is whne using certain spells like "feed the mind" or plumb the void. Can the investigator choose oneself? Or does it have to be another investigator?


If the card says "an investigator" then you can target yourself. If it says "another investigator" then you cannot.


zolamnus wrote:
And about combat. I recently fought those Tick tock men and 21 from the mythos card. It had a toughness of 4 since i am using 2 investigators.
i rolled 3 successes and it has 3 in damage. Does that mean i dont take any damage but the tick tock men takes 3 and surives another encounter? The way i played it they took the 3 damage, then my encounter was over and i fought it next round and then i got 5 successes and killed it.


Sounds right. You take damage according to the difference between the number on the monster token and the number of successes you roll. The monster takes damage according to the absolute number of successes you roll.


zolamnus wrote:
There are a few things that feels abit incomplete with EH in my opinion. Like the monsters rarely move around but basicly stay unless they have a reckoning effect moving it.


They're not exactly hopping on trains and crossing the American Heartland or from one end of Asia to the other. Remember, these are distances measured in countries rather than in neighborhood streets or city blocks. Plus, thematically, why would a Zombie or axe-wielding Maniac chase me from Tokyo to Alaska to Buenos Aires when he could just stay in Tokyo and terrorize the many nameless citizens there?

A few do move (e.g. The Nightgaunt). But for the most part, I like the fact that they don't move around much. It lets the characters do what they want to do without getting swarmed 5-6 turns in by some huge moving monster stack of doom.

zolamnus wrote:
The gates are less dynamic also since you dont work as much to close them but have to trust in the cards to close the gates. I dont know, it IS a fun game but it is just less dynamic then AH. I feel that i sometimes lack stuff to do and go around doing with the investigators.
/Zol.

Overall, I think the timer in the game is so tight that I should always be moving to solve the face-up mystery unless someone else is going to solve it that turn or I have a more pressing immediate objective. But I rarely feel like I have nothing to do. In fact, I would say I get that aimless feeling more often at the beginning of an AH game than I do in EH.

There are times where I feel like my actions may be limited (if, for example, I need to stay in place to close a gate that I failed to close the previous turn, AND there's a monster there, so I can't travel or rest or acquire assets. But I have found that acquiring assets (items or spells) early on can often give you an item that allows a unique Action that you can use on later turns when your other global choices are restricted or otherwise not available. The Actions listed on Item and Artifact and Spell cards are not usually restricted by the fact that you share the space with a monster or that you're at Sea instead of in a City.


Thank you. I think its a matter of getting used to EH for me. I like the game to be honest. maybe it is just that the map is less "detailed" that makes me think that there arent as many things to do. Because in the beginning of an AH game even if as you say not much happends, i had the feeling this huge city with lots of locations and shops etc and maybe some monsters lay in front of me waiting for me to solve the puzzles and kill its monsters.
Just a matter of getting a feel for the map etc im guessing and learning what to focus on rather than just go back and forth between the cities waiting for a good card to pop up

Also with the monsters not moving it makes sense as you said.There is ofc a big difference between a few blocks and a continent after all hehe.
Also i think when playing it with a few friends it will be more dynamic for me than playing EH solo. Its still fun playing it solo though.
Im still a little confused over the rules that has to do with assets and its bonuses.From what i understand you can add ONE bonus from an asset or ally etc. But you can add any number of "other" bonuses like rerolls etc? What is the exact ruling on those situations.
/Martin.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zolamnus wrote:
Im still a little confused over the rules that has to do with assets and its bonuses.From what i understand you can add ONE bonus from an asset or ally etc. But you can add any number of "other" bonuses like rerolls etc? What is the exact ruling on those situations.
/Martin.


Some cards will say "+ X" to a skill. You can use only one of those for a test. But e.g. the Urban Guide says to roll an extra die for tests on city spaces. There is no "+ X" on that card, so you can apply it to the test in addition to another card that has "+ X" to skill, and you can also use other cards that give you rerolls or effects.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.