Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Folks,

I was reading through the league rules here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/images/kickstarter-kb/Kaosball-...

I just want to be sure that I've understood some of the nuances of the cash and upgrade system.

1) Should the league be setup in the fashion that everyone's first match of the season should have an upgrade draft?

2) Does everyone participate in the upgrade draft or just the two teams? (I feel that having upgrades able to be snatched up cheap and taken out of the pool against a team that doesn't want that upgrade when the team that would really want it doesn't even get the chance to bid for it to be a little off-putting)

3) Do you get your full 10 cash to spend each match, even the ones without an upgrade draft? i.e if you have an upgrade draft that match, you have to balance your cash between upgrades and ringers, otherwise you have all your cash to bid on ringers. Or do you have to save up for ringers in future matches until your next upgrade draft?

4) Achievement spending. Is this spending you do each match based on what you feel you need? Are these AP refreshed for each match or is it once they are spent they are gone for the remainder of the league.

5) Are there any upgrade drafts for playoffs or is it just ringer drafts?

I know you can run a league any way you want, so it's up to the organizer, I'm just trying to get a feel for how the persistent upgrades and cash are intended to work for each match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. My understanding is yes.

2. Just the two teams involved. It is part of the strategy to take out upgrades that another team may use more efficiently. Cash is harder to come by so even getting an upgrade on the cheap could be costly overall.

3. Each match gets 10 but you can not carry cash from one match to the next match.

4. Achievement spending is reset after each match. For example player A has earned 5 AP so far in the league. Player A might spend 3 on cash for the upcoming draft and 2 on upgrade points to better use what he/she might buy. Then in the next match could spend all on upgrade points as there will might not be and upgrade draft.

5. I think it is just ringers at that point, but you could still follow the every other match pattern for upgrades. I don't think it specifies in the rules...

Hope this helps you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Krivosheev
United States
California
flag msg tools

1. So how many upgrades should be available overall for 4 and 8 team league respectively?

2. Also, just to clarify: (and i admit i do not get "UP" section in league rule table) - say, it's a league of 8 teams - first two teams meeting and they both draft upgrades, then another 2 teams... and when it comes to last 2 teams to start they are left with minimized opportunities (again, depending how many should be for 8 team league).
Then the order of play becomes very important which is not fair and reasonable. Especially as cash resets and first 2 teams will have 10 cash for their next games being able to choose from all upgrades.
Or i am missing something here?

2. Besides, rules say there's only 1 achievement per player per game. It applies to elective ones? or combined with mandatory? Say, it's a blowout and some elective won as well - does a player get 2 or he will get only 1? (And just Win as mandatory does not look too good, as it's not some special event or achievement within a game - it just rewards winner even more on top oh his rankings)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. For a 4 team league one full set of upgrades is enough, I don't remember how many are needed for a 8 person league, but at least 2 sets, I think there is a chart over on CMON forums..

2. For each match game only 6 upgrades are available. Also remember that all games first games are suppose to happen simultaneously so order should not matter. How I run it is say with 8 teams deal out 6 to both 1 & 2 then 7 & 8, whatever is left is shuffled and dealt to 3 & 4 and 5 & 6. Then at the next upgrade time do the opposite. There should be plenty of upgrades either way.

3. As for only one achievement per match it makes you choose do I want the win achievement or did I score one of the others. You have a limited space for the different achievements, I think 3 wins then you have to get AP other ways. The other thing only one achievement per match does is allow the player who isn't winning focusing on another achievement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Krivosheev
United States
California
flag msg tools
OK, thanks for the quick answer.

So, I did not know that first games in the league should start at the same time. Anyway, with your suggestion - actually you can simply "draft" upgrades for the match-ups at one point of time and then order of play would not matter.

For Achievement - so it's only one (mandatory and elective combined), what do you mean though by "choose which one to have" - they all valued at 1 cash, right - so what is reason of choosing?
And i did not read about 3 wins needed to get A - i have pdf with league rules, it's not there - but that idea is for sure better.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the league chart, there is only 3 spots to record a win. Meaning that only three of a teams wins will get them AP, they must get AP from other sources during the matches after that. Check the chart at the bottom of the league rules again, it shows 9 spots for different achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.