Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Tiny Epic Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a dire enemy of the Desert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting together a PnP set as I missed the kickstarter. Is there a Dire desert enemy? It's the only one I can't see any where.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Wright
United States
Noblesville
IN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The desert costs 2 action points to move out of. Therefore, the desert itself is a dire enemy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
Putting together a PnP set as I missed the kickstarter. Is there a Dire desert enemy? It's the only one I can't see any where.

In the basic PnP, the manticore (lion scorpion) is the desert Dire Foe. In the premium PnP, there is a dire foe for every region, and two for the Forest, for a total of 8.

The Epic Foe for the desert in the premium PnP is the Colossus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am such a dimwad. I meant plains! Does the collosus replace the scorpion/manticore?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colossus is Epic, the Manticore is Dire.

For the plains, the basic PnP has an Epic Foe (Giant) but no dire foe. The Premium PnP coming out next month will have a dire foe (Giant Wasp Swarm). Its power is "Any hero at full health must lose one health."

And, fret not about missing the Kickstarter, but you will need to act fast. This is the message from Gamelyn Games:

Project Update #22 wrote:
If you were sleeping, forgot, just found us, etc. it is not too late. For a limited time, I will be taking late pledges for Tiny Epic Defenders. Yes, you can pledge for the Deluxe Edition during this window of time.

If this is you, and you are interested, these late pledges are processed via paypal. The same price structure as KS will be honored during this time.

Paypal your pledge to michael@gamelyngames.com and make sure to include in the comments, your address and exactly what you are pledging for.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Müri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the retail edition you'll get exactly 1 dire enemy and 1 epic foe for each of the 6 regions, so you really can't guess where those are appearing. In the deluxe edition (which I believe you could still preorder if you do it now and ask Gamelyn Games directly) you have 2 more dire enemies and 2 more epic foes (and more heroes and artifacts as well), each of those 4 attacking a different region.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmueri wrote:
each of those 4 attacking a different region.

Sorry to take this off the OP's topic, but:
a) Does anyone know yet where the basilisk will attack? It will have to be anywhere but the forest, since that region already has two confirmed dire foes.
b) In the prototype, the Fire Elemental attacks the Plains. On the Kickstarter page, it has the Desert symbol. I'm guessing it's been changed for the production version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
a) Does anyone know yet where the basilisk will attack? It will have to be anywhere but the forest, since that region already has two confirmed dire foes.

Somewhere, sometime, I thought I saw a Plains symbol on it. It was definitely walking across a grassland in the artwork. But now I can't find that card image. I think it was in the images that showed what stretch goals had been added to each game (base vs. deluxe) but it looks like those images have been removed. Even though I don't know what it does yet, I put my PnP Basilisk in the Plains based on that image. But that doesn't mean that I actually know what I'm talking about...

hobbesvii wrote:
b) In the prototype, the Fire Elemental attacks the Plains. On the Kickstarter page, it has the Desert symbol. I'm guessing it's been changed for the production version?

I saw that symbol too. I just figured that it showed up in the Desert but its effect damaged the Plains. That's pretty brutal, since you now have to spread your Heroes out to help defend the Plains that you know will be taking automatic hits from the Elemental. (I don't believe you can actually defend the Plains against the Elemental's attacks, but you'd probably still want to be able to Defend against other Enemies in the Plains.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Somewhere, sometime, I thought I saw a Plains symbol on it. It was definitely walking across a grassland in the artwork. But now I can't find that card image. I think it was in the images that showed what stretch goals had been added to each game (base vs. deluxe) but it looks like those images have been removed. Even though I don't know what it does yet, I put my PnP Basilisk in the Plains based on that image. But that doesn't mean that I actually know what I'm talking about...

Thanks! I'm not sure I like that since heroes are usually camping in the plains anyhow, so it's better to put more foes in other regions, but I won't complain until I've seen and played with it. From the flavor text, we know it paralyzes. Maybe it always costs 2 actions to move, or maybe you can't take move actions on your card for the rest of the round? What did you do for it's power?

martidem wrote:
I saw that symbol too. I just figured that it showed up in the Desert but its effect damaged the Plains. That's pretty brutal, since you now have to spread your Heroes out to help defend the Plains that you know will be taking automatic hits from the Elemental. (I don't believe you can actually defend the Plains against the Elemental's attacks, but you'd probably still want to be able to Defend against other Enemies in the Plains.)
Yeah, I thought about that option too. It would be really brutal! Even though you can't defend against this power, you can still use fight actions to reduce the threat (assuming the plains haven't fallen), so spreading out your heroes is a must. It seems like the most obvious case for the staff of control that I've ever seen. Move it to the plains and then split heroes' actions between fighting the elemental and fighting the threat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
martidem wrote:
Somewhere, sometime, I thought I saw a Plains symbol on it. It was definitely walking across a grassland in the artwork. But now I can't find that card image. I think it was in the images that showed what stretch goals had been added to each game (base vs. deluxe) but it looks like those images have been removed. Even though I don't know what it does yet, I put my PnP Basilisk in the Plains based on that image. But that doesn't mean that I actually know what I'm talking about...

Thanks! I'm not sure I like that since heroes are usually camping in the plains anyhow, so it's better to put more foes in other regions, but I won't complain until I've seen and played with it. From the flavor text, we know it paralyzes. Maybe it always costs 2 actions to move, or maybe you can't take move actions on your card for the rest of the round? What did you do for it's power?

I didn't have any information, so I just have it blank in my template and was waiting for some hints. cry

hobbesvii wrote:
martidem wrote:
I saw that symbol too. I just figured that it showed up in the Desert but its effect damaged the Plains. That's pretty brutal, since you now have to spread your Heroes out to help defend the Plains that you know will be taking automatic hits from the Elemental. (I don't believe you can actually defend the Plains against the Elemental's attacks, but you'd probably still want to be able to Defend against other Enemies in the Plains.)
Yeah, I thought about that option too. It would be really brutal! Even though you can't defend against this power, you can still use fight actions to reduce the threat (assuming the plains haven't fallen), so spreading out your heroes is a must. It seems like the most obvious case for the staff of control that I've ever seen. Move it to the plains and then split heroes' actions between fighting the elemental and fighting the threat.

I think this brutality is just another reason why it only has 6 Health. Park the Sorcerer in the Plains (or a different Hero in the Forest or Ruins) to help keep the Plains threat down while others take on the Fire Elemental.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fire elemental was probably moved from the plains to the desert for another reason, too. The developers needed to keep the threat to the regions spread out. If the basilisk is in the plains, that would have made plains the only region with 2 dire foes and 2 epic foes in the same region.

With the current distribution:
Ruins: 1 dire 1 epic
Coast: 1 dire 1 epic
Desert: 1 dire 2 epic
Mountains: 1 dire 2 epic
Plains: 2 dire 1 epic
Forest: 2 dire 1 epic
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided on this!


Maybe it should read "are paralysed (each hero has one less action per turn till the next round)".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What we know (or suspect so far) wrt to Epic Foes:

Giant 8 Plains
Demon 6 Ruins
Kraken 8 Coast
Dragon 10 Mountains
Fire Elemental 6 Desert
Ancient ? Forest
Colossus ? Desert
Overlord 4? Mountain

This would match your predictions for regions at the very least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Cohen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as I know the Ancient and the Kraken has 10, at least it was in the Sneak Peek in update #19 of the project in the KS.
from early pictures, I think both Colossus and the Overlord had 10, but the again, it could have change. but basically almost all the epic foes are around 10, except the giant with 8 and the demon with 6.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet Basilisk! I actually really like your power, too. I'm afraid it might be too strong, though. I might say: "Heroes cannot spend HP for additional actions for the rest of the round." Still test it out and let me know how it goes.

Also, some of us have collected everything we can find from prototypes and sneak peaks in this thread, so I hope that helps you complete your own set.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, saw that thread, great help. Now designing cards back and artefacts and I can start gluing. Characters done now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.