Popular Tags: [View All]
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everybody! I've created some threads about the game I'm designing, and since I finally presented it to others last week (which was great, but also showed there's still a lot of tinkering to do), I guess it's time to finally name it.

So here what the game is about: players are racing team managers and the one who wins is the most successful one in terms of profit. This means that being the one with the best results isn't the only possible winning strategy - it could be possible to have a profitable team by having average results with less expenses (players have to pay for engines, drivers and aerodynamics improvements in the car, and it is possible, for example, to get a pay driver whose winning chances are lower but gives money instead of costing).

The game is composed of a series of preparation/qualifying/race phases: in the preparation phases, players get the drivers and engines with two different auctions then use their staff to look for prizes, get permanent sponsors, do aero development on the car or hire new employees, using a standard worker placement mechanics.

In the qualifying, the starting order is defined by three open variables (the engine, the aero status of the car and the qualifying speed of the driver) and a closed one (each driver secretly defines the amount of fuel used by each of his two drivers). Drivers starting lighter increase their chance of starting ahead, but they will need to make earlier pit stops.

In the race, the drivers receive a number of pace points (thanks, Eric Knauer) according to three open variables as in quali, the difference being quali and race speed may be distinct for the same drive, and those points are spent on four race stints as the player wishes.

So, this is not standard classic Formula 1, as it was never really common to see teams changing drivers on a regular base in the same season. It looks much more like the non-championship races that used to happen until the seventies, where teams would bring their cars but not necessarily the drivers competing in the World Championship - some teams would even let a wealthy local drive one of the cars if a good amount of money was paid.

So, how could I name this game? I'm looking for something having to do both with racing and also the fact that it's sort of an economical game, in the sense that the goal is to make the most profit out of your team (while still having a fun race phase). My first attempt was "Formula Racing Manager", but I guess there are better options out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motorsport Tycoon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Zalizniak
United States
St Petersburg
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auto Boss
Top Speed Team Racing
Pit Boss Racing
Race Wars
Checkered Flag Team Challenge (or Cup)?

I dunno just brainstorming laugh

Best of luck I look forward to trying it out. Need playtesters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit Stop Payout
Racing for Fun and Profit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Formoola Racing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast Money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.