Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
7 DAYS UNTIL WE RELAUNCH!

RAHDO

Richard Ham (Rahdo) has agreed to make a walk through review of Asking for Trobils! It should be ready just before the relaunch!

He was really helpful in our correspondence. As many of you know, he tests games mainly from a 2 player perspective. When he first played Asking for Trobils, he contacted us and said that he could tell it would be really great with a larger group, but that there was something missing with 2 players.

I informed him that we had a 2 player variant, but hadn't put it in because we were unsure if we wanted it in or not. He asked for the variant and played again, this time saying, "Hey there, we just played this afternoon, and MAN what an improvement! I would say it's a playable 2p experience now with this alteration, definitely!"

After talking with him further, we made a final tweak and have included the 2 player variant in the rules. You can download the updated rulebook here: http://kraken-games.com/downloads/asking_for_trobils_ruleboo...

Thanks so much Richard for your help and input!

There's no ghost or dummy player involved. We personally don't prefer games that have that type of correction. These changes are mainly scaling with an added mechanic to gain one more resource when bumping.

If you haven't had the chance to watch any of his walk throughs, we highly recommend them. Just go to Youtube and search "Rahdo walk through".

FINAL BACKER PRICE

We've asked the printer for a new quote with the new art adjustments and we were able to reduce the punchboard count to 3 instead of 4, so we're hoping to get the cost down a little, but we didn't hit our goal of 250 on the email list. We aren't close really with only 73. Still, we're going to see how much we can trim off the game for our Backers. Even if it's down to $42 instead of $45.

Email List: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EW3QFP69roSbTPA98iHdLlOeOeK...

STRETCH GOAL IDEAS

2-7 Players

We've been brainstorming and play testing and have found that the game plays incredibly smooth up to 7 players! The game will still start with a 2-5 player setup, but with stretch goals we will add a 6 player, then a 7th player. The reason these have to be stretch goals is with each player added, we have to increase resources, punchboards, and plastic ships. After the added weight and shipping cost, we need to make sure we can cover the cost.

The last 7 player game we played (with 3 new people) last 100 minutes. There was still no down time. By the time you realize what your next move will be, it's your turn! We're really excited because there aren't that many euro-style games that we play that can play 7 players (at least none that we have).

2 Sided Board

As per your suggestions, we also decided to make a stretch goal be a two sided board with the white and orange original board available on the other side! We know a lot of you liked the old board.

Plastic Ships and other goals

We'll have other goals of course. The ships becoming plastic pieces instead of tokens will still be there. We've changed some of the materials to be better from the start, so some of those past stretch goals won't be needed.

We've also priced a custom plastic insert to fit the specialized board and cards! Knowing that we may make expansions later, we'll be sure to give extra room in the box for those of you that like to combine expansions.

Which goals do you feel are more important?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like good news all around. As someone who plays primarily with 2 players, I'm very glad to hear of the recent improvements to the 2P experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where's the email list you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks Jason, forgot to include the link. I changed it above and you can access it here! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EW3QFP69roSbTPA98iHdLlOeOeK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say there was anything I thought was particularly wrong with the first campaign, but you guys have sure stepped it up another notch with all the communication. Which, for me, is a factor when I decide whether to support a project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul! We're definitely more geared design than we are marketing, but we're learning lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching the first campaign with some interest. Generally, I'm not a fan of most worker placement games — they smack me as disguised math tests with endless building cards and dreary wooden cubes yuk

But we do play an assortment of games at the local open boardgaming night, so I am hopeful this game might provide an option the worker game niche with something a bit more entertaining than another math test disguised under a pile of wooden cubes.

My only suggestion at this point would be to find a more entertaining shape for the traps =^,^=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_O wrote:
Generally, I'm not a fan of most worker placement games — they smack me as disguised math tests with endless building cards and dreary wooden cubes yuk

LOL I know what you mean. Erin, our co-designer, is much more mathematical minded than I am. Probably why she does better at those games than I typically do. We both have our perspectives in there though. This has been liked both both "types" of gamers in all of our play tests so far.

Cat_O wrote:
But we do play an assortment of games at the local open boardgaming night, so I am hopeful this game might provide an option the worker game niche with something a bit more entertaining than another math test disguised under a pile of wooden cubes.

My only suggestion at this point would be to find a more entertaining shape for the traps =^,^=

Not a fan of the cubes huh? lol. Would it help to mention that the icon for traps is a square with bars in it, so cubes actually represent the shape in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just say that cubes are not festive anymore. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Perhaps they might be comforting to the folks who like that sort of thing ~,^

A flat square would reduce the weight! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_O wrote:
A flat square would reduce the weight! ninja

LOL, well we talked about a custom wooden shape that looked just like the icon. Maybe. We'll see how far we get in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.