Subject: what is the end condition??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
As I read the rules in english: "A player still able to move..."

A player STILL ABLE to move? After what has happened? Doesnt this imply some condition must occur FIRST before we look to see if he can still move?

Otherwise this makes no sense. For example: it is turn one. I am to move. Am I STILL ABLE to move? If so do I win? Okay it is the second move, my turn. I can move, am I still able to move?

This rule makes no sense to me. Please explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As I read the rules in english: "A player still able to move..."

A player STILL ABLE to move? After what has happened? Doesnt this imply some condition must occur FIRST before we look to see if he can still move?

Otherwise this makes no sense. For example: it is turn one. I am to move. Am I STILL ABLE to move? If so do I win? Okay it is the second move, my turn. I can move, am I still able to move?

This rule makes no sense to me. Please explain.

I apologize for the confusion.

I've updated the rules.

If a player is unable to take his turn or runs out of pawns in his reserve, his opponent wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
2 more questions Ray:

It says when you make a capture the pawn is sent back to the reserve. I presume it goes back to the player who owns that pawn. correct?

it says that jumping when you capture is the same as checkers; but also says that when you jump a friendly that is done in an orthogonal manner. But checkers jumps are diagonal. So which is it? When you capture do you make an orthogonal jump or a diagonal jump (ala checkers)?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for catching my errors.

I've made the corrections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OK that looks much better. Instead of saying "Multiple captures in any adjacent direction..." might be better to say:

"A series of captures (one after another) may be made in any orthogonal direction."

It is possible that one can misinterpret your wording and think you can capture multiple frogs, all in the same line, in one jump, hence the term "one after another." Also it is not clear what "adjacent direction" means so I suggest "orthogonal direction."

Looking forward to playing this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, will make the corrections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

On your blog you mention the following rules:
Quote:
1) A singleton cannot capture a stone from a group nor can group stones capture singletons.

2) Friendly singletons can capture enemy singletons.

3) A stone from a friendly group can capture an enemy stone that is part of an enemy group.

Though, they are not mentioned here. Are they obsolete?

I have another question. You write here that 'combining jumps over friendly pawns with capturing jumps is allowed'. Does that mean that, on your turn, immediately after the jump of piece P, whether or not it was a capture, P can go on jumping if possible? Or is P required to drop a piece from the reserve after each friendly jump, and then can go on jumping? If this is not the case, is P allowed to reach a space it has already reached during the turn (for example a1c1a1, or a1c1c3a3a1, in the diagram below)? I guess it would be troublesome. Finally, do you have to always move the same piece P during a combination of jumps?

3 . o .
2 o . o
1 o o .

a b c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi,

On your blog you mention the following rules:
Quote:
1) A singleton cannot capture a stone from a group nor can group stones capture singletons.

2) Friendly singletons can capture enemy singletons.

3) A stone from a friendly group can capture an enemy stone that is part of an enemy group.

Though, they are not mentioned here. Are they obsolete?

Yes.

Quote:
I have another question. You write here that 'combining jumps over friendly pawns with capturing jumps is allowed'. Does that mean that, on your turn, immediately after the jump of piece P, whether or not it was a capture, P can go on jumping if possible?

Yes.

Quote:
If this is not the case, is P allowed to reach a space it has already reached during the turn (for example a1c1a1, or a1c1c3a3a1, in the diagram below)?

Yes.

Quote:
Finally, do you have to always move the same piece P during a combination of jumps?

Yes.

I've updated the rules for clarity. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the precisions

Though, there is still something I am not sure to understand.

I understood that you only drop a new stone when you stop jumping, provided the last jump was over a friendly stone. Moreover, you can make a series of jumps over friendly stones so as to go back where you started from. Is there a condition that compel you to stop jumping? For instance, I would think of a1c1a1c1 to be forbidden. More generally, I would forbid playing twice the same jump in a sequence (in the example, a1c1), unless a capture has been made between the two jumps (which cannot, of course, be themselves captures). Does that seem correct to you?

I just thought of another question: for a friendly jump to be valid, must the destination space have at least one free adjacent space to drop a stone on, or does it suffice there is another valid jump to perform afterwards? I would tend to say the latter, but it confuses me that you answered me a1 can jump in my diagram (reprinted below), because on so small a board it will never be able to find a space to drop a stone!
3 . o .
2 o . o
1 o o .

a b c

So, in this other diagram, is a1c1c3 legal, or illegal because c1 does not have any free neighbour?
3 . o .
2 o . x
1 o o .

a b c

If it is legal, then are a1c1c3, a1c1c3a3a1c1+c2, a1a3c3c1 and a1a3c3c1a1a3c3+c2 the only possible moves for 'o'? (+c2 denotes a drop at c2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realise that although forbidding to play twice the same jump during a sequence when no capture is made in between may be correct, it leaves useless/undesirable possibilities, such as playing some sequence that doesn't capture and goes back to the starting space, followed by another sequence...

Thus, I will reformulate the condition.

1. During a sequence of jumps, a stone cannot land twice on the same space without capture between the two landings (the space the stone is initially on doesn't count as a landing).

2. During a sequence of jumps, if a stone lands, without having captured, on the space it was on at the beginning of the turn, then the sequence ends and a new stone is dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eobllor wrote:
I realise that although forbidding to play twice the same jump during a sequence when no capture is made in between may be correct, it leaves useless/undesirable possibilities, such as playing some sequence that doesn't capture and goes back to the starting space, followed by another sequence...

Thus, I will reformulate the condition.

1. During a sequence of jumps, a stone cannot land twice on the same space without capture between the two landings (the space the stone is initially on doesn't count as a landing).

2. During a sequence of jumps, if a stone lands, without having captured, on the space it was on at the beginning of the turn, then the sequence ends and a new stone is dropped.

Looks good to me!! Thanks, I was having trouble describing these actions properly, this is a big help.

I've updated the rules with your corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I think that's still not exactly what it should be... Let's consider the following situation.

4 x . . .
3 x o . .
2 . . x o
1 . . x x

a b c d

By the condition I wrote in my previous post, d2xb2b4b2+a2 is illegal, since the stone initially on d2 cannot land twice on b2 without a capture in between. But I think it should be legal. Indeed, in this case the configuration has changed between the two landings, because the first time was after a capture and not the second one. Thus, the part of the sequence from b2 to b2, even though it doesn't involve any capture, is not useless.

In conclusion, I would rather write the condition as follows.

1. During a sequence of jumps, a stone cannot land twice by a jump over a friendly stone on the same space without capture between the two landings.

2. During a sequence of jumps, if a stone lands, with no capture since the beginning of the sequence, on the space it was on initially, then the sequence ends and a new stone is dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you think of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.