Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since folsk LOVED my first Daily Caller piece and yahoo mail vomits up really bad headlines every time I check my mail here we are again.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-lgbt-executive-order-threatens-r...

This piece is a lovely little number on Obama making it so that anyone who is a federal contractor can't discriminate based on gender/orientation. Now, I'm not going to bag on The Caller for presenting the conservative angle on it *that's what they do* what made me laugh was the folks they had quotes from. First off was the president of the Presbiterian(spelling!) Layman Committee, which sounds damn fancy. Some google Fu tells me this is basically a bunch of disgruntled rich folks who separated from the Church for ENTIRELY SPECIFICALLY RELIGIOUS REASONS in... 1965. The president is someone who set aside her own ordination in the church when the church decided to let gay folks be ordained. I Will give the caller props for putting that front and center. Gold Star. Below is what this eloquent woman said:

Clearly nobody is in favor of discrimination, so using that language is intended to stir the pot,” LaBerge said in an interview with The Daily Caller Monday. “The question is how do you hold sincerely held religious beliefs that limit sexual expression to certain relationships and forms in balance with what the government now views as its legitimate role and in defending the rights of a particular group of people. You have a special interest group on both hands, and you have the government clearly favoring one group over another.”

The second person quoted is a charming fellow from the Family Research Council. This is an advocacy group supporting such things as Abstinence Only education, a conscience clause allowing medical professionals to object to giving treatments to their patients. Wants Intelligent Design taught in schools, and other clearly well thought out conservative positions. His contribution was thus:

“Religious faith is not simply a matter of intellectual affirmation but of active practice,” Sprigg said. “A religious organization which is denied the power to require its employees to conduct their lives in a way consistent with the teachings of their faith is an organization which is being denied the right to exercise its religion, period. People with deeply held convictions regarding the morality of certain types of sexual behavior should not be bound by the dictates of President Obama’s agenda.”

The contributions might as well have been: Person with an obvious axe to grind uses as many logical Fallacies as possible in a single sentence.

And:Gentleman advocating lunacy makes entirely true statement completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

So, the caller could have had a decent piece on this, but instead dug through the bottom of the barrel for their sources and hoped no one would bother to actually think about what was put in print. This is just a flat out disservice to the conservative position. I'm not bagging on conservatives in general this time, except that you don't kick this shit to the curb to keep it from puking on your shoes.

In the interest of Fairness I'll do a number on some liberal rag next time Yahoo vomits it up, but I'll need some help. The Atlantic Wire, Politico, Are those Liberal things? I've not dug around because they don't have headlines quite so funny. The only thing better than the Caller is the stuff that keeps popping up about the Xbox One and PS4, trying to make the console wars OMG SO HARDCORE but I figured no one here cared about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.