Popular Tags: [View All]
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the green one with the randomly, but symmetric layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those seem a little bit lush for a nuclear wasteland...

Personally I think it would be cool to have a double-sided board, one with a more arena-like layout, and one with a more or less random jumble of hex types. Or go with tiling ten-inch playmats, so that you can build your own boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The small board reminds me of The Duke, which is a 6x6 square grid.

What I see here is the potential for modular sections so players can both expand the size of the battle field (for longer games), and have different options for terrain layouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not go for full on hex? AKA 5 hex on a side, thus extending your maps one row up and 1 row down. But this depends on your movement. It seems like you want to encourage players to rush straight to the middle, which sounds like it will NOT take advantage of the hex nature of the board. If you do take advantage of the hex nature, then you might actualy want a diamond shaped board (extending rows top and bottom to a point) so that flanking is an actual thing. A diamond shape could also open up room for goal destinations at either point (cities?). Tie that into needing to hold them for so many turns, and maybe you have an interesting game of movement, attack, defense, and counter attack. But then instead of unit elimination you'd probably use unit degredation. It really all depends, and ties together, and you've not told us enough to say.

But, knowing nothing about your game other than some tentative board designs, I wonder what is inovative about it. It looks like a rehashed wargame or hexchess varriant with stereotypical bonuses. Don't get me wrong, simple rule sets can be very interesting. I just have not heard you mention that part yet, and it seems like the risk of retread ideas is high.

Yes, if you can double side, and or modularize your board, and have a good game, then that will add to replayability.

Rivers, lakes, and mountains seem like ... uninspired obstacles. OTOH, if some terrain in the starting areas provides a def bonus in some fashion, then there is some tension between going, staying, and coming back.

Naked bonuses just sitting in a space that then stick to a unit, seems odd and very gamey. It would likely break my imersion in theme, unless you work to tie it back to theme like +1 move because you picked up part of a fule depot, and both sides were fighting over this depot that got accidentaly air-dropped between them. But then, how to fit that into replayability, and modularity without being unbalancingly random? If out of the 7 bonuses, each game has a randon and hidden selection out of a larger pool of 21, then every game is a different fight over the scarce resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.