Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought I might in the future try out doing a video bat rap using stop motion to move the ships around. This was step one in the process - the feasibility study...

DANVAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
*click*

"This video is private."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
*click*

"This video is private."

Whoops ... try now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that the USS Charlie Chaplin versus the USS Rudolph Valentino?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

It does have a certain Charles Chaplin-esque tone yes?

I may try using stop motion to show ship movements in a bat rap one of these days - complete with phaser fire and torpedoes to keep it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

I may try using stop motion to show ship movements in a bat rap one of these days - complete with phaser fire and torpedoes to keep it fun.

No...no, this way is DEFINITELY better.

Needs the 'silent film' quote cards, though, to really sell it.

"By jove! That fan-service ship has circumnavigated us, AGAIN, sir!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Danvan wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

No...no, this way is DEFINITELY better.

Needs the 'silent film' quote cards, though, to really sell it.

"By jove! That fan-service ship has circumnavigated us, AGAIN, sir!"

I absolutely like the way you think sir. I think I might do a bat rep in the genre - the cards would be classic!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Miller
msg tools
Bat Reps in this format would be awesome. need some heavily made up actors to make over dramatic faces and it would be perfect...oh lord at the ideas this sparked hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could watch this all day long! Brilliant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ha. That looked surprisingly smooth. Nice job man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that app (Vintagio) but I have never used to make a stop motion video. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
I love that app (Vintagio) but I have never used to make a stop motion video. Well done!
I used a stop motion app for the stop motion stuff, then pumped that into Vintagio. They work well together because the choppy nature of stop time goes well with the whole vintage film motif (obfuscating, as it were, the stop motion to some degree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was fun, thanks. You know, I get a lot out of BATREPs which detail what happened in the game and comment on the play and strategies. I also get a lot out of actually seeing people play event when it takes a long time. But this idea has the potential to give you an insight you don't normally get.

Consider that showing a whole game like this in time lapse might give us a sense of the movement of the game. It would help if you could show when ships bump and what the maneuver was but it might not be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I saw the B&W and was like - man I hope he puts some old timey piano music to it.... AND YOU DID.

EPIC.

Here, have a BGG dollar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
That was fun, thanks. You know, I get a lot out of BATREPs which detail what happened in the game and comment on the play and strategies. I also get a lot out of actually seeing people play event when it takes a long time. But this idea has the potential to give you an insight you don't normally get.

Consider that showing a whole game like this in time lapse might give us a sense of the movement of the game. It would help if you could show when ships bump and what the maneuver was but it might not be necessary.

Since stop motion requires a pretty pristine environment (nothing to bump camera) and since I am just using my iPhone, I don't think this will work well with OP events or even casual play. But what I can do is meticulously record the details of sessions, then recreate the game move for move, shot for shot using stop motion to show the movement and shots and various other things to pull the bat rep together - then wrap it all up in the old timey look and feel.

I like the idea of showing the clich├ęd cards text interludes and what not. We'll see how it works when I do Collective OP next Saturday. May take a while to get it together after the fact though - a lot of post-production work...

Hope my wife will suffer me this...

DANVAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.