Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Smith
Australia
Mount Helen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Meeps! I have a couple of issues plaguing me at the moment, I'm trying to add versions to the games I own, and running into some issues with the naming/version conversions. A couple of examples are below...

Adding version to games via my Profile, Owned games list.

Title: Carcassonne (2000)
Version: [Blank]

(after changing version... and refreshing page)

Title: Carcassonne (English edition 2012 with River) (2012)
Version: English edition 2012 with River, Year: 2012

---

Title: Munchkin (2001)

Title: Munchkin Deluxe (2013)
Version: English Deluxe edition 2013, Third printing, Year: 2013

---

yet, if I change it to version = "English edition 2013, 24th Printing, Year: 2013"

Title: Munchkin (2001)

Title: Munchkin (English edition 2013, 24th Printing) (2013)
Version: English edition 2013, 24th Printing, Year: 2013

It makes the Titles long and adds the version info. as apose to "Munchkin (2013)"

---

I'm wondering where the parameter is to remove the "(English edition 2012 with River)" OR "English edition 2013, 24th Printing" from the title, and just have it as Munchkin (2013), or Carcassonne (2012) etc.

It has puzzled me as to why when I edit the version of Munchkin to one of the English Deluxe versions, it simply puts Munchkin Deluxe (2013) in the title, but when you change it to "English edition 2013, 24th Printing
Year: 2013", it then changes the title to "Munchkin (English edition 2013, 24th Printing) (2013)"

I've looked at both versions of Munchkin (that are linked back to the orginal game as an examples:
Munchkin Deluxe
and
Munchkin

and I cannot see anything that is some what different to the other. Where is it putting the Name from, and how can I remove all the "junky version" from the end automatically like the Munchkin Deluxe one did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
The version info is the version nickname for the selected version. It is the same for all users.

You can double-click the title field in the User Info section and make it say whatever you want it to say, or display a different image than the default version image. Here's info on making a custom version:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1167758/creating-custom-vers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a little frustrated by something similar. I'd like to record which versions I have, but I don't like how it adds extra information to the Title column. I'll say right up front that this is really small fry stuff. I know it's not important.

In my example, I have this version of Hanabi: "Hanabi - English first edition (2013) | English".

If I choose that version, the Title column shows "Hanabi (English first edition) (2013)". This looks a bit messy, and also feels redundant, because if I wanted to see the version, I'd just look at the version column that's already there.

To change it I can double click the Title column and choose anything from the list, or type my own value. If I choose simply "Hanabi" (or type the same), the Title upon refreshing the page reverts to "Hanabi (English first edition) (2013)". I guess that version string is already taken, so it picks up all its properties. Fair enough.

If I instead type my own value, such as "Hanabi " (with a trailing space) the Title column shows as "Hanabi (aka Hanabi)" which is better because the messy part is at least in grey, but still not ideal.

As you say, the other option would be to create a custom version and call it whatever I want. But the IT guy in me hates the fact that I'm then losing all the attributes of the version that someone has already carefully entered into the database. I could enter all those properties against my custom version, but that also feels redundant. The part of my brain that remembers DBA training is offended. Besides, what if someone wanted to look up how many people had listed that version? I wouldn't show up as having it any more. I feel like I'm taking detail out of the data just to fix a minor display preference.

I don't expect there's a solution. My preference would be that the Title column didn't list the version nickname by default. Or that there would be a user setting as to whether it showed or not. But I understand it's a trifling grievance. It just means that I don't enter version information because I hate how it messes up the display of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I missed this thread when I searched the forums, but I posted a similar report here: Version Nicknames in Collection View: Either Missing or Redundant

It would be less confusing if the version nickname was not selectively displayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.