Subject: OCTGN image packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm trying to understand how this works. If the image packs aren't released yet you can't use them? I just tried to load my Rohan deck to mess around with and I use Eomer but couldn't load it, i'm assuming b/c of him? I'm not super familiar with OCTGN so maybe there is something i'm suppose to do?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you should not play octgn unless you purchase the game out of courtesy to FFG the complete card is not uploaded until 6 months post release. However software exists that allows you to scan and add images of new cards that you purchased. To get older image packs do a google search for lotr otcgn image packs and follow the instructions on downloading and adding them if you have purchased the real cards. There are placeholders for the new cards in the files as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have everything LOTR has out at this time, including nightmare versions.

When I'm loading my decks through the clipboard thing, some of the cards are red. Like Theodred has been twice now which is odd as he's in the core. if there is more then one red it locks up after i fix the first one.

anybody know why this is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help ya out, Jeremy.

It sounds like you're having trouble specifically with Deck Converter Plug-in. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the fact that a lot of the Rohan names have accented characters (as does plenty of other cards in this game). So if you enter "Theodred" in the "Text from Clipboard" import section, it'll be highlighted in red since that card doesn't actually exist -- Théodred does. So the plug-in then asks you to hunt down a real card to replace it with. And yes, I also noticed that if you have to do this more than once, then the plug-in is likely to crash.

Unfortunately, this is an issue with the Deck Converter Plug-in itself, and not with the LOTR game, so I am unable to help you out. But I'll see if I'm able to contact the developer of that plug-in and see if he's got any ways to fix it.

This also brings up a more global question about the LOTR game in OCTGN. Most of the cards do have their proper accents, which is great; however, it does make searching for cards by name a bit trickier to do. I've wondered if people have a preference on which style they'd prefer to have.

-----------------

But let me back up a little bit and explain a little further how this OCTGN thing works (at least in terms of the LOTR game, though many other games in OCTGN follow this same system). When new expansion packs are released from FFG, we add censored versions of these cards to OCTGN as soon as we're able. These cards have no artwork and the text box is blank. This allows players to at least build decks with these cards and use them in game if they wish, but you'll have to know what the card does. However, it also allows players who own the physical cards to scan them in and simply add those images into OCTGN so they can see the proper cards in game. Most importantly, this system keeps everyone's cards compatible with each other. For example, if you play a game with someone who's using cards from The Dunland Trap (and he's scanned in his own images), then he'll be able to see and use the cards just fine, and on your screen you'll see the censored card. But at least you'll know the name of the card and can interact with it just like any other card. Then, 6 months after the expansion pack's release, we will upload an Image Pack for people to download and install, which will give you all the proper card images.

I'm explaining this because although you don't have the Image Pack for The Voice of Isengard yet, using Éomer in your decks doesn't break the game in any way.

Also, feel free to visit the LOTR OCTGN Website
On the Installation tab, there's a link to the Image Pack Dropbox, where you can find all the currently released Image Packs. This folder will be updated with new packs as they become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the informative reply. I have a deck with Eowyn and Theodred, Rohan themed and can't play it yet as it crashes, but it's cool. I'll keep plugging (pun intended, lol) away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the plugin being used, but if you rebuild the deck using the OCTGN deck builder it should work fine. That's how I've done all of my decks in OCTGN, I didn't think to look for a more efficient way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that, it just takes so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quick workaround is to simply replace Eowyn with Éowyn and Theodred with Théodred in the Deck Converter when you're copying over the names. You can use a card search like hallofbeorn.com to find their properly accented names pretty quickly, then copy/paste them over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, good one. I'll try that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.