Subject: Able to play with V1.0? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up two copies of this game from Game Crafter and noticed the thread about v1.1 and upcoming v1.2 rules. The games came with v1.0 rules - is it playable with these or should I be waiting for v1.2?

Also, will it be possible to purchase v1.2 rulebooks separately in the future? If not, will there be an errata file in addition to the living rules? I'll print out the living rules if needed, but I personally prefer errata files IF there aren't many changes/clarifications.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes are very minimal, mainly clarifications and better ways of explaining things. If you note the changes in 1.1 you should be fine. The only change of real substance in 1.2 is the following addition in Scenario C:

Persisting played Actions
Theory of Judicial Review
Republic of Texas Established

We hadn't thought about making the v1.2 rulebook available for sale, but if folks are interested I suppose we can investigate. Similarly with an errata file.

Hey, thanks for getting the game and hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimal changes sound good

I'll try to look at the 1.1 rules soon and see what's different. Might want to post them and the 1.2 rules (when available) in the files section here on BGG,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we post them in too many places, it gets hard to maintain, so we'll try to keep them in just one place and just put in links from everywhere else. Speaking of that the link to version 1.1 is here: http://goo.gl/X9qr8B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
The changes are very minimal, mainly clarifications and better ways of explaining things. If you note the changes in 1.1 you should be fine. The only change of real substance in 1.2 is the following addition in Scenario C:

Persisting played Actions
Republic of Texas Established

We hadn't thought about making the v1.2 rulebook available for sale, but if folks are interested I suppose we can investigate. Similarly with an errata file.

Hey, thanks for getting the game and hope you enjoy!

Rick changed also the setup of standard scenario: only President and Vice-President are assigned at start, the other Offices are to be assigned.

David, my suggestion is, like for other games, download Living Rules as soon they are available and print the pdf. In my opinion, purchasing a rules booklet that could change in some months is a waste of money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Rick changed also the setup of standerd scenario: only President and Vice-President are assigned at start, the other Offices are to be assigned.
This change is already in v1.1, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
If we post them in too many places, it gets hard to maintain, so we'll try to keep them in just one place and just put in links from everywhere else. Speaking of that the link to version 1.1 is here: http://goo.gl/X9qr8B

Understood on posting the rules multiple places - thanks for the link.

I just compared v1.1 to v1.0 and it looked to me like the errata/clarifications are very minor like you indicated. I also added in the change you mentioned as being in the v1.2 living rules. Hope you don't mind me compiling this, but it's easier for me to incorporate changes (assuming they're minor) this way and I thought it might help someone else as well.

[Changes and to Rules Book Version 1.0 - July 2014]
[Last Updated Jul 22, 2014]

(p.4)
* Under section 1. - Change "Youngest player" to "1st player", 4x
* Replace "1. Place the board on the table and deal Statesman:" with "0. Place the board on the table." and "1. Agree on a first player with later players following clockwise and deal Statesmen:"
* Replace section 4. with:
"4. Assign Office cards to Statesmen as follows.
President: George Washington (place an Elected pawn on Washington).
Vice President: John Adams
(Players do not add Popularity for these starting Offices.) Place the orange Party Leader pawn on Washington and the blue Party Leader pawn on Jefferson."

(p.5)
* Replace "9. The Secretary of State player sets up the map..." with "9. The President player sets up the map..."
* Replace "10. The Secretary of the Treasury player places yellow..." with "10. The President player places yellow..."

(pp.15-16)
* Under Scenario B: - Change "Youngest player" to "1st player", 4x

(p.17)
* Under Scenario C: - Change "Youngest player" to "1st player" and change "The youngest player" to "The first player", 4x each
* Add the following section before the "Map" section of the scenario:
"Persisting played Actions
Republic of Texas Established"

Luca,
I agree on just printing the living rules, or in this case just printing out the very minimal errata/clarifications and putting it with the v1.0 book. My original concern was that it sounded like there were already significant differences from the v1.0 rulebook that I just bought and I was thinking it'd be nice to have a full color rulebook with all the changes incorporated. Given the minimal number of changes, that doesn't seem as necessary now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the changes are minimal.

The only important ones are the different setup and the scenario C correction.

I believe the original scenario setup is fine for new players: it simplifies the first turn tasks of the President because he has no worry to assign initial Offices. Maybe the new setup is an interesting choice for experienced players, because they can immediately start bargaining.

All changes we've done in upcoming v1.2 are only clarifications, as Rick said.

We will do an Errata PDF as suggested by you. Also, Rick worked out a FAQ file (available in Yahoo group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.