'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Just an idea, but why not post a special 2-player pole under every game page?
There's a poll on how well a game plays for various number of players on the game's page already. Here's how to find it:
1. Go to the game's page.
2. Look for "User Suggested # of Players", which is near the top.
3. Click "Poll" in that section.
4. Then you can fill in the radio buttons to Vote for how well the game plays at various player counts, or you can see the Results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Just an idea, but why not post a special 2-player pole under every game page?
bwingrave wrote:
There's a poll on how well a game plays for various number of players on the game's page already. Here's how to find it:
1. Go to the game's page.
2. Look for "User Suggested # of Players", which is near the top.
3. Click "Poll" in that section.
4. Then you can fill in the radio buttons to Vote for how well the game plays at various player counts, or you can see the Results.

Can't search on the poll result though, unfortunately. Still I generally have found the poll for number of players to be pretty useful, at least for games that are fairly popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a poll for player count built into every game.

But it doesn't matter. When it comes down to it, a ton of people out there just want to talk/hear/be heard. even if polls were conclusive, it probably wouldn't reduce the threads by much.

You get disagreement with a ton of games (often times by the people who regularly play at higher player counts saying it's not as good with two-- what they really mean is they just play in big groups, like that, and don't want to play with two.) I think it's pretty rare that a good game that gets tested with two still isn't a good game. So if you think you like the game you'll probably like it with two. It's just after one plays lots of games with lots of player counts that you CAN be picky if you want. But I think that's due more to the great selection of games out there and people's love of being picky and opinionated rather than good games actually being bad with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
But I think that's due more to the great selection of games out there and people's love of being picky and opinionated rather than good games actually being bad with two.

My thoughts exactly. It might be a great game, but merely 'good' with 2 and you will see people saying that it is not as good with 2.

As for the OP: You could argue for lots of types of information, but the BGG pages are already quite cluttered.

The "User Suggested # of Players" gives a reasonable guide and there are often threads discussing how a game plays with 2. A simple yes/no won't tell you anything. You will need to spend a little time finding out if it will work as a 2 player game for *you*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least 67 lists of games that play well with two players. The link to all the rest of the lists is this: Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (71 lists!).

Here are some links to specific 2-player reviews that I consult:

Best With Two (457 games)
She's Asleep! - Games for time poor couples with infant(s) (152 games)
THoiA's 2 Player Thumbed Games - The good and bad of Multiplayer games that claim to play 2. (147 games)
My 2 player game reviews (86 games)
Surprisingly Good w/ 2 (60 games)
Best Two-Player Husband/Wife games! (30 games)
Traditional Card Games for 2 Players (8 games)

And I concur with previous writers: The poll on each game page shows the consensus of respondents. If the results say that 30 or more percent of players don't think it plays well with two, I don't buy it. And I do as you do: look in the Forums section for the question about two players; it's been answered for almost all the games I've been interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
There are at least 67 lists of games that play well with two players. The link to all the rest of the lists is this: Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (71 lists!).

We clearly need a 2 player Games Geeklist List

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more geeklist: Rahdo Runs Through... Games!
Richard usually plays with two, so his runthrougs should give you a pretty good idea if it will work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pole"

Pete (is juvenile)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
YeahSureWhatever wrote:

I'm aware of that poll, I use it, and I too find it "generally" useful. However, it still falls short of addressing the most popularly asked question of almost every game: "Does it play well with two?".

It was just an idea, but besides a two-player only poll, perhaps attached to that poll a special comment section as to the two-player nature of the game could be added. There, every possible two-player related question/answer could be addressed rather than having to go through the rigmarole of posting a new thread to the General forum that we all know is going to be asked anyway. Again, just an idea, I know some will find this idea to be superfluous but I don't think it is, necessarily. It could be quite useful and time saving.

P.S. I've edited my post 4 times now, but I guess you already know that, sigh!

There is an iPhone app that allows you to search by "good with" and "best with" numbers. It is extremely helpful and sounds like it will be what you want. But I agree, being able to search on that poll would be very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. 2-player poles for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
"Pole"

Pete (is juvenile)

Wait 'til you try a three player pole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.