Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
148 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Have you ever decided against a boardgame purchase because rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: uselessly_vague [+] [View All]
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I have been tossing back and forth for some time now the names of several boardgames I thought I wanted to own. That list dwindled to about five games- all of which I would be proud to own. Finally, after MUCH thought and budget consideration, I honed the list to two games.

You don't need to know the game... and I'm taking the name off my wishlist because, again, you don't need to know... but today I ran into some information about a co-designer for an expansion that I found really unappealing.

Do I care if the laborer who tanned the vinyl from which my shoes were made is a he-man woman hater, for example? Yes. Well no... Yes?
Do I care if the baker who baked my buscuits 'n gravy makes her kids sad?
Yes!
I care a bit less if I don't know about it because I just don't have enough information.
There are countless situations where lack of time for caring is an issue.

But what if I had time to research it? And a quite popular place to research it? What if that person had no inhibitions about posting their opinion(s) for the world to see WHICH is where I ran into it? I mean, at least if you have objectionable opinions about which feelings tend to run deep, keep your opinions to yourself!
Am I wrong?

So now I have found out the game's designer chose a co-designer I can't take seriously. His attitude just hurts too many people's feelings.

I checked with my gaming partner/husband. He said it was up to me but he, personally, didn't want to make a purchase.

My question is whether you have, for reasons unrelated to gameplay and budget, decided to not purchase a game based on the designer's - let's call it 'political' - opinion? Or that of their co-designer?








6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me guess... this?

As someone who has made my fair share of mistakes in life, I'm kind of not in favor of everyone knowing about all of them. I'm even less in favor of everyone treating me differently because of mistakes I've made that are completely unrelated to the interactions I have with other people.

Maybe I'm the only one in that boat...
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
Let me guess... this?

As someone who has made my fair share of mistakes in life, I'm kind of not in favor of everyone knowing about all of them. I'm even less in favor of everyone treating me differently because of mistakes I've made that are completely unrelated to the interactions I have with other people.

Maybe I'm the only one in that boat...



No. Do I seem like the kind of person who would enjoy that game?

NOT that guy.


The guy I'm talking about is unapologetic and public.





1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if I know the designer is a big jerk, I'd wind up thinking about it whenever I played the game, and that would significantly reduce my enjoyment.

However, I don't go out and research the designer for every game I buy.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't but only because I am unaware of such opinions. Everybody has a right to their opinions but if they are sufficiently offensive to me than I also don't have to support them.

I refrain from going to some commercial establishments (restaurants etc) because of the owner's viewpoints.

I commend you for your convictions
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:
curtc wrote:
Let me guess... this?

As someone who has made my fair share of mistakes in life, I'm kind of not in favor of everyone knowing about all of them. I'm even less in favor of everyone treating me differently because of mistakes I've made that are completely unrelated to the interactions I have with other people.

Maybe I'm the only one in that boat...



No. Do I seem like the kind of person who would enjoy that game?

NOT that guy.


The guy I'm talking about is unapologetic and public.







How are we supposed to tell that you wouldn't like that game?
41 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:
Yes, if I know the designer is a big jerk, I'd wind up thinking about it whenever I played the game, and that would significantly reduce my enjoyment.

However, I don't go out and research the designer for every game I buy.



I wasn't looking for negativity. I just happened to find it and I don't know if its something I can overlook.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mlcarter815 wrote:
we three wrote:
curtc wrote:
Let me guess... this?

As someone who has made my fair share of mistakes in life, I'm kind of not in favor of everyone knowing about all of them. I'm even less in favor of everyone treating me differently because of mistakes I've made that are completely unrelated to the interactions I have with other people.

Maybe I'm the only one in that boat...



No. Do I seem like the kind of person who would enjoy that game?

NOT that guy.


The guy I'm talking about is unapologetic and public.







How are we supposed to tell that you wouldn't like that game?


LOL
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
esswhy wrote:
I haven't but only because I am unaware of such opinions. Everybody has a right to their opinions but if they are sufficiently offensive to me than I also don't have to support them.

I refrain from going to some commercial establishments (restaurants etc) because of the owner's viewpoints.

I commend you for your convictions



There are a couple of restaurant I won't go to. Nice to know I'm not alone! cuz sometimes viewpoints like ours can make me feel lonely.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Yes, if I know the designer is a big jerk, I'd wind up thinking about it whenever I played the game, and that would significantly reduce my enjoyment.

However, I don't go out and research the designer for every game I buy.


This...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:

Do I care if the baker who baked my biscuits 'n gravy makes her kids sad?
Yes!


Please tell me this is sarcasm because being a father of two I can most definitely say one of the only, and some would argue the best, privilege's we have is scarring our kids for life. Heck if it makes them stronger for it and able to survive in the real world(TM) then we did a good job. Yes that is partially tongue in cheek and partially not. My parents made me sad all the time when I didn't get my way, busted my butt when I threw a temper tantrum, didn't let me hang out all night down the street at my friend's house because they knew his folks were out of town, or lectured me up one side and down the other when they walked in on my girlfriend and I.

Quote:
Yes, if I know the designer is a big jerk, I'd wind up thinking about it whenever I played the game, and that would significantly reduce my enjoyment.

However, I don't go out and research the designer for every game I buy.


Good advice to follow here. I am buying a product, and whether that product is made by enslaved children, or the soft skin of clubbed baby seals I could care less until brought to my attention. If everyone researched their purchases to that extent then quite frankly no one would buy anything. Your food is most likely harvested by people being paid FAR below minimum wage to the point of being a non-living wage, most of your clothes are most likely made in foreign countries by repressed people making pennies a day, and certainly your electronics and boardgames are. Heck the provider of most of the chicken and beef for most of the franchise restaurants (we're talking McD's, KFC, Chickfilet, etc.) just got busted in China for backdating expired meat to send to restaurants.

Believe it or not most everything you own is created, made and sold by scumbags in some respect. That doesn't seem to stop any of us from buying it, and frankly using your theory you should basically get rid of all of your boardgames and never buy another because almost all are created in China, under a repressive regime, by people making far less than what they need to survive. Once that changes they'll just move to Africa (or India).
22 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've consciously steered clear of some wargames that feature the designer's name before the title (e.g. Lance Smartguy's Epic Thunder of War) just because of the vanity. But, no, once the advertising and/or packaging has me the names in the credits are just an aside.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I guess board games are like anything else. Knowing who the money is going to and what kind of people they are impacts what I buy and don't buy, at least to some extent. That said, I personally don't know squat about the designers of games aside of which games they designed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
espoon82 wrote:
I guess board games are like anything else. Knowing who the money is going to and what kind of people they are impacts what I buy and don't buy, at least to some extent. That said, I personally don't know squat about the designers of games aside of which games they designed.


I actually ran into the guy's post in a thread. I did my eeeesh! Headshake, half smile, eyebrow raise....about what he was saying

Like this guy:
shake

...moved on to read from someone else...backed the truck up...said to myself 'hey! That name is familiar!...looked it up...and lost my innocence.

" innocence " might be a little strong but it made an impact and here we are.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know about the game designers of my games is that they designed those games. What they do in their spare time doesn't really bother me at all and maybe that is the best way to stay away from their personal affairs.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools

Jarrett,


All of what you're saying is true and I wish I could look at their posts here on BGG so I can make an even more informed choice, but they're not. I'm not very good at writing between the lines so I can't expect people to be good at reading between them!



Rest assured that the baker's children would have to be PROFOUNDLY sad.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
porkchop_tw wrote:
All I know about the game designers of my games is that they designed those games. What they do in their spare time doesn't really bother me at all and maybe that is the best way to stay away from their personal affairs.


All you **currently** know about the game designers is that they designed the games you own/like/want.

But what if you find out what that designer **really** thinks about you?




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great things about board games is that it is easy to get close and personal with designers and publishers. They are often readily available by e-mail or in person at conventions. It is a relatively small and personal business. Because of this, I have had some pretty telling conversations with certain people within the industry. Conversations that have inspired whether or not I support them with my money. For me, most of these reasons are related to what I believe are poor business practices, and not so much bout events in their non-work related lives. I honestly don't know if learning that someone was a racist, sexist, etc would stop me from paying them for goods/services, unless their behavior directly affected me. Perhaps that is selfish, but I don't really believe it is any of my business. Sure, I don't agree with them, and given the chance would love to change their minds, but even some of my closest friends disagree with me on some pretty serious issues. So, I guess it all depends how out of their way the offender goes to offend me. Otherwise, why stress it?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we three wrote:
But what if you find out what that designer **really** thinks about you?

You as a specifically known singular person? Or you as a self-identified member of some categorizable group? I don't think any of the designers of games I own know me. To even consider what the designer thinks about me seems like a big left turn from where this convo started.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is whether you have, for reasons unrelated to gameplay and budget, decided to not purchase a game based on the designer's - let's call it 'political' - opinion? Or that of their co-designer?

I have not. But have done so and still do in other situations involving other products, companies etc. I have never encountered the situation you describe when it comes to my favourite hobby. Should I come across information about the actions of a designer or publisher that I deemed so personally offensive as to be unacceptable to my value system, I might choose a different game. Will I actively seek out said information? Not likely.

You don't need to know the game... and I'm taking the name off my wishlist because, again, you don't need to know

Nicely done.


So now I have found out the game's designer chose a co-designer I can't take seriously. His attitude just hurts too many people's feelings.

This is the part that I stumble on because this is subjective (to each person's own value systems, beliefs, and sensitivity level, for example).
What I may find objectionable and offensive you may see as as just in poor taste or mischievous. It is all relative...but I applaud your commitment to your own convictions.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought about posting a similar question today..

Do your views of a Publisher, Designer, Company or Store affect your purchases?

And yes, if I run into something significantly negative about one of the above groups, it will affect my purchasing. I have companies whose games I won't buy because the owner of the company is rude or disrespectful of their customers. If a store owner treats me badly, I certainly won't buy from them. If a company had a habit of ripping people off, I'd steer clear. If a designer is a jerk, forget buying those games. If someone fails to stand behind their products, I won't be buying them.

There are thousands of games out there. I'm past the days when any game became a 'must have', regardless of any other factors. I want to deal with good, ethical people who want to promote the hobby, and as a person, my view is subject to change based on my knowledge of people.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
If a store owner treats me badly, I certainly won't buy from them. If a company had a habit of ripping people off, I'd steer clear. If a designer is a jerk, forget buying those games. If someone fails to stand behind their products, I won't be buying them.

In all of those cases, the customer is the one directly affected by the offensive actions. Entirely different situation.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have. I have decided not to buy from an entire publisher because I thought something they published was something I did not want to support. If you feel as though they don't deserve to be encouraged with your purchase then please do not purchase. You have that right, and you're right to not support them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't understand all this. I don't go out a research every game designer, food preparer, etc. and see if anything in their personal life would shock me before buying something. It's really not any of my business. I don't look for it and I don't want to know. Who knows, maybe that favorite game of yours was designed by an undiscovered serial killer. It's best just to enjoy your games and not worry about it. We aren't a jury in a court of law.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
we three wrote:
But what if you find out what that designer **really** thinks about you?

You as a specifically known singular person? Or you as a self-identified member of some categorizable group? I don't think any of the designers of games I own know me. To even consider what the designer thinks about me seems like a big left turn from where this convo started.



Good distinction, Curt.
Though it FEELS pretty personal because, after all, it's a group I belong to along with most of the people I know and talk to.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.