Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a really hard time deciphering the naval movement rules.

It seems by inference that a naval unit can occupy both port spaces and also treat each sea zone as a single huge space.

If I may make an example:

My french ship moves from Marceille out into the Gulf of Lyon on the first impulse.

Next impulse, I may move to Palma.

Third impulse I move to Barbary Coast.

Fourth impulse I end in Tunis.

Correct?

I'm a little surprised there is no movement example for naval, apart from some involving combat, which muddles it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to stop at a port between Gulf of Lyon and Barbary Coast. You can leave Marseilles port and go to Gulf of Lyon, then Barbary Coast, then Tunis. Also you can make all those moves in a single impulse if you have enough Ops. You spend the Ops 1 at a time, allowing for interceptions or Foul Weather to be played each time you enter a new sea zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Ted said.
The naval rules are a tad confusing at first. Ports and Sea Zones are adjacent and Sea Zones are adjacent to Sea Zones. Some Ports are adjacent to multiple Sea Zones.
The rotating vertical/horizontal thing also is confusing. Once you "get it" though it's rather routine. No one actually rotates the units in a game once they know what they are doing.
Also note that loaning units to an ally can be an effective way to reposition them without even using the normal, efficient naval moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:

Also note that loaning units to an ally can be an effective way to reposition them without even using the normal, efficient naval moves.

You can also borrow naval units to make a previously impossible spring deployment possible. Note: You cannot spring deploy across a Sea Zone unless there are no other naval units there -- not even allies.

Conversely, I once loaned naval units to another player to make a third player's spring deployment impossible. The naval unit had to make a move for the loan which put it in the path of the other player's spring deployment. No one knew why I was loaning it until Spring Deployment. Priceless. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
mkiefte wrote:
Note: You cannot spring deploy across a Sea Zone unless there are no other naval units there -- not even allies.

Nit: un-Activated minor power naval units do not block SD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for all the help.

And one more thing, for each Ops spent, you can move ALL your ships to one adjacent position, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
lgoldberg wrote:
And one more thing, for each Ops spent, you can move ALL your ships to one adjacent position, correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Correct.

Thank you!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Also you can make all those moves in a single impulse if you have enough Ops. You spend the Ops 1 at a time, allowing for interceptions or Foul Weather to be played each time you enter a new sea zone.

Ted, I went back to the rules later, and I couldn't work out the above statement. All I see is that you can spend 1 Op to do a naval move, nowhere does it say that you can do it as many times as you want.

The only guess I have is that lets say you play a 3 Ops card. Can I use 2 Ops to do TWO naval moves, and the remaining 1 Op to do a land movement of a force?

Or am I forced to use all the Ops points on a card for the same type of thing?

Either of those would make sense to me, but I'd really like to see where this is explained in the rules.

Sorry if I'm being a moron. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, never mind. I think I see it. 6.1 says that the cards' Ops points are "to spend on actions", without specific restrictions, so I'm sure that's my answer.

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You've got it now

When playing a card for CPs, the points can be used on any combination of actions, paying as you go. So if the Habsburg player plays a 5 CP card, he could for instance recruit one mercenary, move a formation across a pass and send an explorer to the New World. If the move was along a normal connection, he would have a CP left to move all his boats, for instance.

Do note that powers do not have access to the same actions, and in one instance an action is cheaper for one of the powers - Habsburg colonies cost 2 CP, while French and English colonies cost 3 CP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.