Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgamergirl (Ashlee)
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys

Just wanted advice on the "MUST PLAY" games, I've already played a fair few games but I am having trouble knowing where to go from here, and I'd really like to play the best games as I only have a few hours per week for gaming time.
While I don't mind the heavier games (although I don't believe I have played any), the people I play with tend to like the lighter table top games, so mainly those suggestions would be best.

To give you an idea of what I have played:

- Catan + cities and knights expansion
- Ticket to ride (regular)
- King of Tokyo
- Lords of waterdeep
- Pandemic
- Betrayal at haunted house
- Munchkin (only base game)
- Small world (regular)
- Risk Legacy
- Robinson Cruso (only played 1 game on easy so far)
- Alhambra (didn't really like this one)
- Carcassone (regular)
- Dominion (love this)
- Citadels (didn't go down to well in my group, they thought it too simple)

I think there is a few more but can't think of them.
I have been watching most of the youtube videos of the dice tower top 10 lists which have given me a few ideas but they are so divided between the games I'm not so sure what to play/ whats good or not.
The few I've been interested in from the lists:

- thunderstone
- Stone age
- Shadows over Camelot
- Pillars of the earth
- Cosmic encounters
- Jamaica
- Twilight Imperium 3 (although I have never heard of this game and not sure what it is/ what its like)
- Power grid
- Puerto Rico

Can anyone suggest any other games that are Must Plays, or give some advice on the above games.
Thanks so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Bloomsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Puerto Rico is my favorite Euro game, period. The only Euro that made me say after the first game: "Let's play again!" Try the IPad version if you want a quick introduction. Every player is involved in every turn, so there is no downtime while you wait for your fellow players to make decisions. Small number of possible choices so little analysis paralysis. However each choice is critical to the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Must play, lighter table-top...galaxy trucker, takenoko, 7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Riley
msg tools
I haven't actually played Dominion, but I hear it is better with a couple expansions (specifically that is gives the game longevity). This is an excellent way to burn money though. I'd look at which ones are best before purchasing.

Munchkin, which I have played with multiple expansions, doesn't change much. It adds some more jokes and a little bit of a retheme, but it's really no different from the base game. If you enjoyed Munchkin you could get the variant that matches the theme you prefer and live with that. I wouldn't buy more than one as Munchkin has a shelf life.

As for games you haven't played yet, I think it is best to find out what kind of game you like. It looks like you've played a good variety; most can be described as modern day classics. Because of this, you should have an idea on which mechanics you like and (more importantly) dislike. There are a couple mechanics that might be missing from your list though.

I don't think you've had an auction game. If you could find Modern Art (Out of Print) or Ra, their lightish weight would be good to try with your group. Even if you can play the others Power Grid is definitely something worth trying. It is heavy, but I prefer it over the other two.

I didn't see any hidden role games (besides Betrayal at The House on the Hill, but that's not quite what I mean). Resistance is cheap (can be free) and does the job quite well. Shadows Over Camalot might be better, but you can't beat free.

In all honesty, I'm new to the hobby too. Take my advise with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Rainbow
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you enjoy the most but here are some I would recommend:

Archipelago - highly replay level, beautiful artwork

Ikusa - everybody knows Risk but this is far better! And how do you wanna beat the Samurai theme? One of my faves!

Mice and Mystics - one of the most beautiful designed games ever! Got to love this one.

If your group doesn't like heavier games than you shouldn't pick up Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Puerto Rico.
Also Agricola and/or Dominant Species.

Some good advice above re. Dominion and Munchkin.

Dominant Species is currently my top game. A touch heavy but absolutely superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried any games designed by Stefan Feld or Reiner Knizia? Click on their names in this message, scroll down on their profile pages, sort the games by rank, and look at some of their top-rated games. You should find at least one of their top ten that appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more "classics" that are conspicuous by their absence:

Caylus
Agricola
San Juan
El Grande
Fresco
Kingsburg
For Sale

+1 anything by Feld / Knizia...especially Castles of Burgundy or Tigris and Euphrates, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamergirl (Ashlee)
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their lists, I haven't played any of these except agricola which I actually own but we found it a little too difficult and gave up on it. Now I've played a few more games, and played Lords of Waterdeep and been introduced to the worker placement mechanic I think I will give Agricola another shot.

Everyone's love for Puerto Rico has definitely made me want to play it, before I was on the fence.

I really like card drafting games (loved dominion), I don't mind co-op as long as there isn't a "traitor" etc infact I hate these games where 1 person is singled out (doesn't have to just be co-op, anything with a traitor), I don't mind worker placement but my boyfriend doesn't seem to like them as much, he seems to like the games where you have to attack each other, and not so much the resource building, although he does love dominion.

My biggest issue is learning the games really...it takes quite alot of effort and comprehension to learn a new game, and doing the first initial runthrough generally makes everyone hate the game if they aren't regular gamers.

I will work through these classic games, pretty excited to play!!!
Thanks everyone for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Alien Frontiers

Also The Manhattan Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware that this might be a thread where everybody just names their favourite games.
Seeing your love for Dominion, I agree with others that an expansion or two (preferrably Seaside and/or Prosperity) will make the game a lot better. When I first got into it, my wife and I played Dominion for weeks basically non-stop.

Now on to your list:

Skip Thunderstone. It is similar to Dominion, but worse in every aspect in my mind (except maybe artwork). If you really want another deck building game, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is good. But really, just stick to Dominion.

Stone Age is excellent. It is about as complex as Lords of Waterdeep, but has more depth and strategy to it. It might be a good bridge from Waterdeep to Agricola, which is one of the greatest games ever, but, as you have already noticed, rather heavy. It doesn't help that Agricola's rulebook isn't very good, either.

Shadows over Camelot looks heavier than it is. It is pretty and a good game, but it does have a traitor mechanic. You can leave the traitor out, but then the game becomes a bit less interesting. It's a good game, but for a fantasy-style coop, I prefer Legends of Andor.

The Pillars of the Earth is another relatively simple worker placement game, but I say skip it. It is quite the same every game and just not on par with Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age.

Power Grid is a good economic game with an auction mechanic. It's a bit longer and more complex than the games you listed above. I think it's very good with 3-5 people; with 2, it is awful, and 6 isn't all that great, either.

Puerto Rico is heavier than what you have listed, but lighter than Agricola. I think it's a great game, but be warned that it needs multiple plays to shine. In the first game, most players will only be looking at what they can do and try to find some sort of strategy. But the game only becomes great once you start looking at what the others are doing. Puerto Rico is a game where the best move is usually not the one that benefits you the most, but the one that benefits the others the least. It has a lot of very subtle player interaction in that way.

I haven't played the others you mentioned, but from what I heard, Twilight Imperium is a typical Ameritrash game, meaning lots of theme, lots of dice, 6+ hours of playtime, and player elimination. Not sure if you want to go there, but since you mentioned your boyfriend likes games where he can directly attack the others, this might be worth checking out.

Oh yeah, and inevitably, my favourite: Terra Mystica, but in terms of complexity, this is at least on Agricola's level. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definatly try Agricola with the family rules first as its makes the game alot easier to learn.

More Greatest Hits:
Arkham Horror

The Castles of Burgundy (Stefan Feld)

Descent 2nd Ed

Formula D

Ghost Stories (very challenging coop)

Splendor

Survive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Try watching youtube shows like TableTop which in contratry to video review shows you how the game playes - it was very helpful to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid. Agricola. El Grande. Princes of Florence. Keyflower. Castles of Burgundy. Modern Art. The Duke. And Age of Industry (or Brass) for a heavier one.

And a wargame. Every gamer should go outside their comfort zone and experience as many different genres as they can. A nice simple new block wargame with only 4 pages of rules is Holdfast: Russia 1941-42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Alfonso Lopez Quiñones
Colombia
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin +1
Trains

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) Its a hardcore game, because it has many rules and many options, but its a wonderful game. You need at least 4 hours to play it.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar Good work placement game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Puerto Rico
+1 to Castles of Burgundy

Puerto Rico blew my mind the first time I played it. I'd say it's somewhat difficult to learn, but totally worth it. If you want games that are canonical, look no further.

Castles of Burgundy is also a great example of the "point salad" type of game that Stefan Feld often employs. It's pretty easy to learn, teach, and play. Some people say it looks super boring, but most people say it's fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
Love Letter
Hanabi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo

Played it with four other dudes that were reluctant because a game about making dresses seemed too girly, but when we played it, our jaws were hanging open in surprise how well this plays and the fun factor. After one play and frankly it's my current favorite Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamergirl (Ashlee)
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
+1 to Puerto Rico
+1 to Castles of Burgundy

Puerto Rico blew my mind the first time I played it. I'd say it's somewhat difficult to learn, but totally worth it. If you want games that are canonical, look no further.

Castles of Burgundy is also a great example of the "point salad" type of game that Stefan Feld often employs. It's pretty easy to learn, teach, and play. Some people say it looks super boring, but most people say it's fun to play.

Thanks guys

I'm hearing so much love for Puerto Rico

Someone is teaching us a game of our choice down at our local board game place tonight, I'm starting to lean towards Puerto Rico, but basically it's between that or Terra Mystica, Stone Age, Cosmic encounters or power grid. What would everyone suggest out of those?

Also I want to learn one light game, I am thinking either Takenoko or Love letter. Any suggestions would be helpful, I am very keen on Puerto Rico though since everyone has talked it up so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Nathan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Cosmic Encounter AND Terra Mystica (haven't played stone age)
If you're liking Euros I'd say go with Puerto Rico, there's a lot of great game in there. Cosmic Encounter is so much fun but it's just a big conflicty game of space poker - it takes a group all in the same mindset to work. Terra Mystica is a great but a step up in terms of difficulty (probably just because there's an awful lot to do).

You can learn Love Letter in two sentences. I'd prefer to play Takenoko, but it depends on what you're after. If a really quick filler anybody can pick up is what you're after, Love Letter. If a relaxing, fun 45 minute game with lovely artwork and no real conflict is the go, Takenoko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus

Puerto Rico

Bohnanza

Cosmic Encounter

Dixit

Thebes

7 Wonders

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elizabeth1000 wrote:
I'm hearing so much love for Puerto Rico

Someone is teaching us a game of our choice down at our local board game place tonight, I'm starting to lean towards Puerto Rico, but basically it's between that or Terra Mystica, Stone Age, Cosmic encounters or power grid. What would everyone suggest out of those?

Also I want to learn one light game, I am thinking either Takenoko or Love letter. Any suggestions would be helpful, I am very keen on Puerto Rico though since everyone has talked it up so much.

Yay, Puerto Rico. Winning strategy: sit to the left of the noob. (I don't mean newb, I'm using the deliberately pejorative term for that added punch.)

I played PR many years ago. On my first go I sat to the left of the "I'm so awesome I win every game" owner of the set. That's not undeserved bragging, he did win just about every game we played (at least, while we were learning or when he could get us distracted playing each other rather than him) and with his other gaming buddies (who were more hardcore, I know, I met them, once, awful time, nice people but not a fun day over all, never went back). He was a lovable scallywag and we all had a lot of fun. Don't worry about losing your first time, he told us, you'll never understand it all and how things interact. I sat to the left of the anti-noob and I won. Yay. I played several more games of it over the next while because the others wanted to.

I will reiterate that it was years ago. I guess I haven't quite gotten over the excitement.

Anything on your list but PR.

Takenoko over Love Letter.
Stone Age or Power Grid over Cosmic for reasons like your countryman suggests.
Wouldn't really consider any of those heavy games though, all pretty light reall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q= Also I want to learn one light game [/q]

Bohnanza
Finca
Dos Rios
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Isla Dorada
Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shorthose
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elizabeth1000 wrote:
I'm starting to lean towards Puerto Rico, but basically it's between that or Terra Mystica, Stone Age, Cosmic encounters or power grid. What would everyone suggest out of those?

Absolutely has to be Cosmic Encounter for me. It is insanely good. There's a lot of 'it might fall flat' for your group bandied about but I've brought it to the table with such a massive variety of folks now and never had anyone dislike it.

If you need to be sure it's for your group, see here or here.

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.