Subject: Famous art work license rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schwarz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I am developing a game themed around curating art galleries. does anyone know of licensing\legal issue using famous artworks?

I was hoping to use famous works of the like of van Gogh, Picasso, Monet etc..

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good news bad news: the original works are beyond the lives of their copyrights, if copyright existed at their creation, so in theory you can use them freely! Bad news, *photographs* of these works have their own copyrights, and any photograph you're likely to want to use will have been taken recently enough that it's under copyright. You could take your own photos of these works, but the museums usually don't allow that.

There are probably ways to license the works, after all, Masterpiece did/does.

All this is just my understanding, and I'm not a lawyer. You might want to talk to one of those. Posting legal questions on BGG invariably gets you a collection of contradicting answers from people who may or may no know what they're talking about, but sound and act confident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accurate photographs of two-dimensional visual artworks lack expressive content and are automatically in the public domain once the painting's copyright has expired (which it has in the US if it was published before 1923). All other copyright notices can safely be ignored.

(from Wikipedia)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
All other copyright notices can safely be ignored.

(from Wikipedia)

Copyright is not a simple set of laws and despite international convention varies wildly both in letter and implementation of the law from country to country. Any blanket permissive advice which doesn't specify where it's valid and why can be safely ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schwarz
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I have found a site that offers enough images of artwork that are in the public domain. I will make do with those for the moment.

http:\\http://www.wpclipart.com/art/Paintings/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.