Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game and wanted to make sure I had the basics down. This is my pass through the Spartans Non-Player turn in the Peloponnesian War scenario.

#1: The scenario states that they open with an Attack Athens strategy. I rolled a 5 and checked the red box: the destination space is Decelea.

#2: The blue shaded box states that they require 12 SP of of Hoplites and 2 SP of cavalry. They begin with 7 (3 Home Guard stay) and 1, respectively.

#3: They recruit from the nearest location, Corinth, where they recruit 4 of the 5 Hopelite SPs and pay 800 talents (200 each). He cannot recruit the remaining Hoplite, because that would take all of them from Syracuse. He has to move to Thebes to complete building the army.

#4: When the leader moved from Corinth the Thebes, he moved through Panactum. Normally, this would be open to an interception attempt from the adjacent force, however that space is Athens, and 5.3.1 specifically states that the cavalry's ZOI does not extend outside of that space, so the move to Thebes to recruit is unopposed, and Panactum receives a "Ravished" marker.

#5: In Thebes, the leader recruits the remaining army by spending 400 talents to recruit the last Hoplite SP and cavalry SP. With the force built, he moves toward Decelea by way of Oropus (most direct route), and finishes his movement. Oropus and Decelea both receive "Ravished" markers. Again, I cannot intercept at Decelea from Athens.

#6: That ends the non-player segment. As Athens, I would now perform an operation or pass.

Does this sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems correct, except Panactum receiving a ravaged marker, since the force is not built yet. (4.8)

Also shouldn't have taken the last cav. from Sparta when Thebes can provide 2 needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Seems correct, except Panactum receiving a ravished marker, since the force is not built yet. (4.8)

Also shouldn't have taken the last cav. from Sparta when Thebes can provide 2 needed.

Not near the rules, but thes comments look correct. Check that the Athenian cav cannot intercept. Probably right, positive about the Hoplites, but the cav, not sure.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
In 5.3.1 (Long Walls of Athens), bullet point 3, it says:

"Athenian Cavalry ZOI's do not extend out of the Athens or Piraeus spaces during the combat phase, and enemy ZOI's (of any and all unit types) do not extent into Athens or Piraeus during any phase."

I'm not sure it would apply, though, because I think marching on an objective is the Operations Phase. But Combat Phase / Combat Resolution Segments, bullet point 4 says to resolve it if "All friendly ZOI spaces that contain enemy unit(s) that are not under a Siege marker" so it looked like a chicken-or-the-egg thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Seems correct, except Panactum receiving a ravished marker, since the force is not built yet. (4.8)

Agreed -- see the example of play para 2 or rule 4.2.1 -- never take the last of a given type from a space unless you cannot get it somewhere else.

Also, Judd, I think you mean ravaged.

Ravishing.. is something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spelling corrected! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

"Athenian Cavalry ZOI's do not extend out of the Athens or Piraeus spaces during the combat phase, and enemy ZOI's (of any and all unit types) do not extent into Athens or Piraeus during any phase."

I'm not sure it would apply, though, because I think marching on an objective is the Operations Phase. But Combat Phase / Combat Resolution Segments, bullet point 4 says to resolve it if "All friendly ZOI spaces that contain enemy unit(s) that are not under a Siege marker" so it looked like a chicken-or-the-egg thing.

I won't have a copy of the rules near me for at least two weeks, but I think it is saying that A. Cavalry do extend out during operations… isn't there a comprehensive example of play that someone can look at. I think it is illustrated in there. OR I may be misremembering…

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
airjudden wrote:

I won't have a copy of the rules near me for at least two weeks, but I think it is saying that A. Cavalry do extend out during operations… isn't there a comprehensive example of play that someone can look at. I think it is illustrated in there. OR I may be misremembering…

Mark

Example of play para 5
Quote:
5. There are three equidistant paths to Thebes: Pegae, Siphae, Platea, Thebes; Pegae, Panactum, Tanagra, Thebes; Pegae, Panactum Platea, Thebes. By assigning a random die roll of two chances in six to each route a randomized route will be chosen. The die roll is three so the middle route: Pegae, Panactum, Platea, Thebes is taken to the assembly space. Panactum is within the ZOI of the Athenian force (Cavalry + Hoplite) in Athens.
When the Spartan army enters Panactum an interception attempt is made.

So Athenian calvary do have a ZOI outside of Athens.. for interception during the operations phase, I suppose.

I guess the intention of 5.3.1 is during the combat phase only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Mark

Example of play para 5
Quote:
5. There are three equidistant paths to Thebes: Pegae, Siphae, Platea, Thebes; Pegae, Panactum, Tanagra, Thebes; Pegae, Panactum Platea, Thebes. By assigning a random die roll of two chances in six to each route a randomized route will be chosen. The die roll is three so the middle route: Pegae, Panactum, Platea, Thebes is taken to the assembly space. Panactum is within the ZOI of the Athenian force (Cavalry + Hoplite) in Athens.

So Athenian calvary do have a ZOI outside of Athens.. for interception during the operations phase, I suppose.

Seems correct, but shouldn't be allowed unless Pericles is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Mark

Example of play para 5
Quote:

That looks right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.