Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this idea for a game, as many of us do, and I have created much of the initial planning stages. However, I have run into an issue. While designing this game, I have continued to back others on Kickstarter and a game that I have backed and I am excited for has used a mechanism that I feel would be perfect! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523628817/district-z-fi...

This game uses dice to make decisions on the cards. Roll a die and an event happens. I find it interesting and thematically appropriate for both his game and mine. Now, the creator of that game is an excellent designer and friendly as you could ever want. My question is, how do I go about getting permission to use that mechanism? Any advice would be wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Well, if you feel the need to ask permission you could just say that you really like the mechanic and you want to use it, but IMO you don't really need to ask, especially if his game is already published. Also, this mechanic is not that unique to be honest. It has been used before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, Betrayal at House on the Hill has that. I'm sure many other have too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all! I appreciate it. I just was afraid of infringing on someone else's intellectual property. That and the fact that he really is a nice guy and I did not want to seem like a jerk. However, you are right. The use of a die to make choices is not new, but rather the choices being made and the outcomes of the die roll are the unique aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.