Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up in a situation today playing Union against Reich on the castle map.
Turn 1 I was able to deploy a commando with the fire grenade and lace the blue path with fire. This meant absolute doom for my opponent who was forced to deploy and move his units on to the board turn 1 through a minimum of two spaces that all inflicted 3 automatic attack successes.

The throw a grenade action (turn 1) cost him 4 damage and both of his command points (or else it would have been 6 due to his rolls)

This seemed wildly broken to me and we started discussing first turn immunity.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brown
United States
Pine Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am extremely new to this game and have only played twice but could the other player have just not brought his units onto the map until the fire dissipated?mi only have the base game which I do not believe comes with fire grenades so I am unsure about how they work. I look forward to an official answer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fire grenades work the same way smoke grenades work except the paths fill with fire instead of smoke. Characters caught in the fire or moving on to effected spaces have to shock roll their way through 3 automatic attack successes.

I don't believe you can choose to not deploy at all. Pretty sure that is a forced mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes on the castle map fire grenades can be fatal due to the distance between the doors. In the Daedalus map expansion there are tokens for alternative entrances and examples of where to put them. It's not a solution but it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to house-rule this I think.

As suggested earlier, players should be allowed to forgo their activation. It would be a bit harsh to force a player to start a game by running his team through a corridor of flame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never liked how fire grenades flame the entire path and that area of the castle ksiaz map.

Therefore when I play, fire grenades only flame the targeted circle and adjacent circle(s) only (for the same duration) and I always put a closed door token between the lobby and main hallway of the map. I also always use a secondary entry point at the stairs that lead to nowhere on the map. I don't think its a good idea to delay entry of your team and lose a turn for any reason.

And of course, if you must run through fire, the best thing to do is to have only neccesary characters do so, ideally those with higher stamina, and save CP to increase their stamina and/or magically shake off wounds if you like to use that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Using the extra entry tokens is a good idea.

You can always explain extra entrances thematically. Climbing in through upper windows or through a sally port and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:
Yes. Using the extra entry tokens is a good idea.

You can always explain extra entrances thematically. Climbing in through upper windows or through a sally port and so on.

Indeed! While the other suggested entry on the castle is closer to being equidistant, I prefer to treat the one open window next to the blown up front door entry as an additional entry point for the front door team, because of theme.

When using 2 maps its also fun to join them thematically which can alleviate the issue of both teams starting right on top of each other in some cases. E.g. castle + catacombs connect through rear stone stairs and hole in the ground near Sneak secondary objective and/or secret doors hidden underneath crate tokens that you must search at castle action circles lead to the 3rd and forth suggested additional entrances in Catacombs, via ladders. Castle + gevaudan link up to an obvious front door entry (the castle entry being guarded by a nearby cabin outpost). But you can put secret door tokens in objective or action circles as alternate ways to move between the 2 maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.