Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » News

Subject: The Rulebook is Live rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://ffpgames.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/shadows-of-brimston...

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexy...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was unable to sleep with nothing to do. Oh Flying Frog, you shouldn't have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The item prices really made me laugh again:

"I will sell you my dusty poncho for just 300 bucks, so cheap!"
"Sir, sir buy some beatiful roses for a lady! They are 325 USD a piece."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
okocnar wrote:

Probably best to just divide prices by 5 or so. I guess the idea is that numbers in multiples of 5 are easier for people to deal with than numbers like 17 or 23.

The area is also supposedly under effects of hyperinflation.

And it might just be a really, really, really awesome rose.

Personally, I'm going to see if I can find some plastic coins I can use for denominations of 5/25/100 and use those for the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regault wrote:
okocnar wrote:

:D :D

Probably best to just divide prices by 5 or so. I guess the idea is that numbers in multiples of 5 are easier for people to deal with than numbers like 17 or 23.

The area is also supposedly under effects of hyperinflation.

And it might just be a really, really, really awesome rose.

Personally, I'm going to see if I can find some plastic coins I can use for denominations of 5/25/100 and use those for the money.

There is a note in the rules that local economy is hyperinflated.
The fun is that the rose is 3x more expensive than some basic guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EVERYBODY knows what i saw it in a lot of "documentary" about post apocalyse (like all the z movies), it is way easier to find a gun in the US than a Rose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woo, rulebook!

Boo assembly required minis!

Guess you can't have the bad without the good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assembly will be an issue, but I am not surprised at all due to the initial model size/specs, how else would harbinger fit in the box? Speaking of fitting in the box, once assembled how do we fit anything in the box? Not sure my daughter(or wife..or me for that matter) would appreciate unspeakable horror type miniatures glorifying my shelf space.
laugh

That being said, I am quite excited. Not enough money for the mine cart, but I put in a few extra bones for some goodies, the question is which to choose to maximize play/$$$ ... oo life presents too many dern hard choices what a pitycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those that have read and digested it, what are your first impressions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Salls
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruleset seems pretty simple. The encounters and the monster/character abilities will be most of the mechanical flavor for the game it seems to me. It kindof gives me a vibe of Arkham/Eldritch Horror made dungeon crawler. There are some Flying Frog classic rules in there, like roll and move and scenario play. I only gave the rules a quick once over last night, and I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. Without the characters/monsters and their special abilities, as well as the Adventure book detailing campaign mode it's difficult to see where it will land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they got everything you could think
of in a Dungeon Crawl covered. Haven't got into
detailed reading yet but I'm impressed.

Looks like I need to order some plastic glue whistle

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking tasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regault wrote:

or poker chips.... I think that might be what I use.

need some for exp too. then we can just bag up a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:

That being said, I am quite excited. Not enough money for the mine cart, but I put in a few extra bones for some goodies, the question is which to choose to maximize play/$$$ ... oo life presents too many dern hard choices what a pitycry

assembly doesn't bother me, but did you get a pledge manager to add stuff to your order? I didn't. or are you saying you put in extra money during the campaign. sorry for the confusion just woke up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually angry at this development concerning the minis.

I got out of 40k into board gaming to get away from that type of gaming. I want the mini to break down to fit back in the box, if it cant do that, i am considering dumping this game as soon as i get it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

assembly doesn't bother me, but did you get a pledge manager to add stuff to your order? I didn't. or are you saying you put in extra money during the campaign. sorry for the confusion just woke up.

He either added extra money to his pledge, or got one of the minecart pledges with the extra credit added in.

atraangelis wrote:

I got out of 40k into board gaming to get away from that type of gaming. I want the mini to break down to fit back in the box, if it cant do that, i am considering dumping this game as soon as i get it...

You're angry because the minis will be on sprues and require assembly... But you want the mini the break down to fit in the box (thus requiring assembly when you take it out of the box...)

You seem to contradict yourself there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

atraangelis wrote:

You're angry because the minis will be on sprues and require assembly... But you want the mini the break down to fit in the box (thus requiring assembly when you take it out of the box...)

You seem to contradict yourself there...

Take X wing for example.. Mini is assembled for play and breaks down compact..

Now i need glue and shit to play a game with figures once assembled don't fit back into the box they came from.

Yes i want my cake and eat it too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scott if your serious I'd be interested in buying your copy. BGG email me if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odie Bracy
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good - pretty straightforward, although there are going to be a lot of specific rule situations that will really only be learned and applied through actual game play.

I'm pretty happy with it overall. Only a couple of rules that I can see really needing an FAQ clarification as people start actually playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:
Woo, rulebook!

Don't you mean the good with the good?

Rather have to spend a half hour with clippers and a bottle of airplane glue than spend hours with a hairdryer straightening bent guns and wings or trying to find a way to prime the cruddy soft plastic most boardgames use.

There isn't even that much assembly. Most of the models look to be single piece with the larger models having six to eight. Compare that to my Malifaux starter that was 50 pieces for six models or my Warhammer 40k army which is seven pieces per basic infantry model. It doesn't even look like any of the parts will require alignment, which is always the hardest part of the glue step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Old Dwarf wrote:
Looks like they got everything you could think
of in a Dungeon Crawl covered. Haven't got into
detailed reading yet but I'm impressed.

Looks like I need to order some plastic glue whistle

OD

Best bet is to go to a hardware store and buy MEK from the paint thinner section.

Airplane glue is just MEK with some plastic filler added. The difference is that airplane glue is $4 for a 2oz bottle and MEK is $10 for a quart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regault wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
Woo, rulebook!

Don't you mean the good with the good?

Rather have to spend a half hour with clippers and a bottle of airplane glue than spend hours with a hairdryer straightening bent guns and wings or trying to find a way to prime the cruddy soft plastic most boardgames use.

There isn't even that much assembly. Most of the models look to be single piece with the larger models having six to eight. Compare that to my Malifaux starter that was 50 pieces for six models or my Warhammer 40k army which is seven pieces per basic infantry model. It doesn't even look like any of the parts will require alignment, which is always the hardest part of the glue step.

Nope. Assembling minis sucks. I'd much rather have them deformed and bent then have to put them together myself. They're just fancy markers and most of us aren't painting them anyway; I'd have been fine with cardboard standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Nope. Assembling minis sucks. I'd much rather have them deformed and bent then have to put them together myself. They're just fancy markers and most of us aren't painting them anyway; I'd have been fine with cardboard standees.

If that's the case, could you just print out some cardboard stands and not use the miniatures at all, thus avoiding the assembly altogether?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:
I'd have been fine with cardboard standees.

You are dead to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.