Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just picked this up, and after looking at the expansion masterminds I totally get how the base ones are just... not tough enough.

I'm looking for a -very- quick little buff for them (Magneto, Loki, Red Skull, Doom), and I'm going to try out just having their Master Stroke ability trigger each time someone fights them (though without the solo game's automatic villain draw).

So while they're still generally weaker, they would at least have some kind of easily remembered and referenced negative effect when attacked.

Has anyone tried that? Does it help enough to at least make things a little more interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adr121
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I appreciate the approach I would recommend playing it the way it was designed. People play tested it and many others followed.

Try it, then see if it's "not though enough".

Anyway. I hope my post won't come across to negative. I hope you'll enjoy the game

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae Does not matter
msg tools
I would have to agree with adr121 play the game as it was intended. Scheme twists and masterminds play through real well also if its to easy you must have played it a lot.

Nice to see that you trying to change it up. As i still have trouble winning the game ha ha ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatfrito wrote:
I'm looking for a -very- quick little buff for them (Magneto, Loki, Red Skull, Doom), and I'm going to try out just having their Master Stroke ability trigger each time someone fights them (though without the solo game's automatic villain draw).

Has anyone tried that? Does it help enough to at least make things a little more interesting?

I'd say it would make one potentially even easier, two would have no effect and only one might actually do something. Red Skull, KO a hero from hand, more ways to cull SHIELD cards (or knowing you'll fight him, just play all your hands, no cards in hand, no effect). Doom only affects people with exactly 6 cards in hand AND no Tech hero, so even if you've played half the cards in hand, you're immune. Magneto is reveal X-Man or discard down to 4 cards, again, play enough cards, you're immune. Only Loki might give Wounds for an actual game effect that triggers. Yes, the effects might hit other players, but I don't care if they get hit, as long as I don't get hit . Especially if I'm already gunning for the Mastermind, my deck is hitting its stride, more VPs for me cool .

I run the base masterminds with the following variants from the rulebook:

Red Skull: +2 Schemes, +3 Attack (so need 10 to hit him)
Magneto: +1 Scheme, +3 Attack (need 11)
Doom: +1 Scheme, +2 Attack (need 11)
Loki: +2 Attack (need 12)

Record against base masterminds:

Dr. Doom: 14-7 (6-4)
Loki: 13-8 (5-5)
Magneto: 14-7 (6-4)
Red Skull: 21-1 (9-1)

Number in parenthesis is with just base. Funny how, since adding an expansion that supposedly makes the game harder (Dark City), my record against them has gone up by quite a bit, 8-3 vs three base masterminds since adding LDC. Harder? Pfft. Apocalypse, yes, ridiculously tough. Rest of Dark City? Making things easier for the heroes IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I could give a breakdown of every villain but the short sum is this:

Red Skull was meant to be easy. For solo plays he is pointless (unless you buff him by the rules) but for several players he is decent since you can go full backstab on each other.

The rest of them are okay-ish. Sure, there are mostly weaker (or don't add up as much) as the rest of the villains. But they can actually be tougher in a lot of scenarios.

For example, try fighting Magneto when there are no Xmen in play at all. His master strikes hurt and his tactics mean nothing.

Try fighting Loki in the Legacy Virus...

See where I'm going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
For example, try fighting Magneto when there are no Xmen in play at all. His master strikes hurt and his tactics mean nothing.

Had this three times, two wins, one loss, which I attribute more to the Scheme involved, while not the toughest, one of the most annoying ones, Pull Reality Into Negative Zone. There are just so many X-Men around that even with random heroes, only 3 out of 21 games with Magneto haven't had any X-Men...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Skull as is, is perfect for solo play (up to a point). For the new player he is wonderful in that he's going to allow you to get to know the game, if that makes sense. He's not bringing the zaniness that other MM's possess. Red Skull is the proverbial bone being thrown to the new player.

However, once the "introductions" are over, so to speak, and things are getting settled, it's time to toughen him up a bit or dive into the tougher MM's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatfrito wrote:

The base set rulebook (see p. 19) and the Dark City rules sheet both have approved and playtested "challenge modes" for increasing the difficulty. I would recommend that you look no further than those if you feel you need to increase the difficulty of the base set masterminds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.