Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Stuck out at Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried playing through my first games of Eldritch Horror this weekend playing solo with 2 investigators. This is by far the most complex board game I've played so far so I kept missing rules and have other questions too.

First game ended horribly (I chose to not replace defeated investigators), but the 2nd game became much more interesting as I became more comfortable with the rules and became more adventurous. The game was going along smoothly and I was making progress when I found myself at a dead stop in the game.

I proceeded to resolve the Reckoning icon on a Mythos card. There was a Serpent People token in The Amazon. I failed the die roll which then required you to move the nearest investigator 1 space towards it.
Leo Anderson was in Arkham, so I had to move him to Space 8. That put him out at sea with no ship ticket to move since I can only prepare and get a ticket at a city!

My other investigator, Trish, was all the way in Rome. I thought I might be able to get Trish to get an extra Ship ticket to Leo. But she had no ship tickets so it would take 4 turns! First traveling to London, and then to Arkham. Then in Arkham, Trish would have to spend another 2 turns to get 2 ships tickets before getting to Space 8.

But then, I have another problem. You can only have 2 tickets at once. Trish uses one to go to to Space 8; trades other other to Leo, so Leo can get out. But now Trish is stranded at sea.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Is there something else in the game that can get you out of this situation?

I'm still learning the game, so I could be doing something wrong and there are other questions. But this seems like a real game stopper that I can't imagine such a glaring problem would escape the game designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't require ship tickets to move from/into sea spots. The tickets are for moving additional spaces when you take a move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH! blush
I've been spending a ticket for every move--no wonder the game seemed to move so slow!

There are a lot of specific rules to keep track of.

Thanks for clearing that up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every move?! surprise No wonder your first game ended terribly.

Something that might help is to check the files section for player aids/rules summaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I like watching run throughs in conjunction to reading if I'm going to be learning the game from the rulebook.
Rahdo Runs Through►►►Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
DOH! blush
I've been spending a ticket for every move--no wonder the game seemed to move so slow!

I was thinking wow I can't believe he didn't know that, until I remembered that I was spawning a monster at EVERY portal during monster surges and not just the ones that share a symbol with the omen track for my first 10 games. Yeah there are a ton of rules and the expansion, although great, will only add more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did watch through Rahdo's run through before buying the game, and believe it or not, read through the rulebook twice before starting playing my first game, plus I still had the rulebook in front of my while playing.

Like I said, this is the most complex game I've had in front of me in my 2 years (all that!) of board gaming and so I'm bound to miss and forget little details. When Marlene clarified that you pay a ticket only to travel additional spaces, I looked back at my rulebook and I did underline that very sentence!

In my first game, I missed the fact that you could only acquire assets and get tickets only on City spaces and was doing the actions on any space.

It'll just take a few more playthroughs to have all the details stick in my head, but I'm having a lot of fun along the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:
I was thinking wow I can't believe he didn't know that, until I remembered that I was spawning a monster at EVERY portal during monster surges and not just the ones that share a symbol with the omen track for my first 10 games.

I did this as well, but that was because of having played Arkham Horror. The rulebook was actually clear about this and I had definitely read it... then it was overridden by my Arkham Horror training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
It'll just take a few more playthroughs to have all the details stick in my head, but I'm having a lot of fun along the way!

That's the most important thing!

And don't feel bad, if you watch the playthroughs by several people on YouTube, almost all of them made a few mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
DOH! blush

You should give Arkham Horror a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think after a few more play throughs, you may find the game is less complicated than you think it is. There are a lot of things that happen over a round, but not everything always happens. For the most part there are only a handful of things to do each turn, they just start to vary based on the mythos card drawn and state of certain areas. Don't worry, it gets easier (especially if you're playing with other people who know the game well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
secoAce wrote:
DOH! blush

You should give Arkham Horror a try.

Lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Great thread, SecoAce. I love reading other people's horror stories of misunderstood rules and imagining how maddening the game must have been. There but for the grace of an inordinate interest in reading rulesbooks go I!

Glad you got it sorted out, though. The game is going to seem so much easier to you now.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.