Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Played our first game, 4 player. I had a horrible start because I killed my fleet on a Red Resistance early in the game, not knowing how powerful they would be.
But I won the game by a lot.

Everyone saw that going to the middle on the last turn was the place to be. Whoever won that battle wins the game. 3 players went there last turn and I scored 32 points for both their dead fleets at the end.
Then add 5 points for the High Council and 2 more for having a ship in a hex...

Its seems to me that the player that wins the center battle last turn wins the game. And unlike Eclipse its a free for all and you have little control over who wins. Players will likely spread damage evenly until the last lucky few dice win the battle for one player.
And if you avoid the middle battle then you are merely going to watch who wins the game. Its a huge gamble not going to the middle at the end because if at least two big fleets go there the points will be huge.

So the whole game seems pointless and comes down to luck and diplomacy in the final battle.

Questions
- Can you Cloak past Resistance?
- Is spawning new population cubes on your homeworld during upkeep optional?
- Does the center hex score 5 points for being the High Council and 2 points for having a ship in a hex for a total of 7 points?
- Can a planet Rocket itself?
- Does a Orange/Military tech discount another Orange/Military tech 1 or 2 CP?
- Can Homeworlds house WMD's? Can other players land on your Homeworld and take them over? If a Homeworld has zero population cubes can it fire WMD's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Palacio
msg tools
mbmbmb
In regards to your initial concern with the final turn(s), I haven't found that to be the case in my games. As you mentioned, you gained 32 points for being the last ship standing. Those sorts of fights are a HUGE risk since there is really only one winner.

The council space is 5VP, but that doesn't seem to be enough to ensure victory to me (though it is good design in forcing some sort of fight; without it, games can end up without any combat at all). Resistance 3 cards can give 5VP, and populating planets can give up to 4. I've had better luck trying to spread my ships and population around in the last couple turns.

Here's my input for your other questions. I'm not sure on all of them, so hopefully Andrei can jump in.

Can you Cloak past Resistance?
Going off the rules, I would say yes. But for some thematic fun I would consider choosing to disallow cloaking against Resistance 3s.

Is spawning new population cubes on your homeworld during upkeep optional?
I think not. Population cubes are a resource for several actions, and the players are meant balance out the way they are spent while increasing their population. The rules don't make it sound like an option (even if you have Expert Cloning researched).

Does the center hex score 5 points for being the High Council and 2 points for having a ship in a hex for a total of 7 points?
That sounds right to me, considering you can get a total of 6VPs for some planets (worth 4VP for majority population, plus 2 for having a ship there).

Can a planet Rocket itself?
Given the strong theme of this game being that humans hate and fight each other no matter what, I'd say yes. After all, you do have a chance of screwing yourself over too.

Does a Orange/Military tech discount another Orange/Military tech 1 or 2 CP?
Sounds right to me.

Can Homeworlds house WMD's? Can other players land on your Homeworld and take them over? If a Homeworld has zero population cubes can it fire WMD's?
- Yes.
- Yes. Players are free to deploy population even on a Home Planet (and even while cloaked). The original Home Planet owner still deploys population during upkeep, and can still build ships there.
- No, they need population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Stephen, the answers you provide are accurate, thank you.

One addition:

>Does a Orange/Military tech discount another Orange/Military tech 1 or 2 CP?

2 CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, the big war for the center only creates a problem when...well...there's a big war in the center.

The reason why somebody is getting a lot of points for the center is because somebody else is losing and letting their ships become VP for the winner.

If only one person attempts to take the center, the VP it grants isn't that much of a swing. Skilled players will only take the center carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.