Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We found out that the Inland Traders are going to be part of a double-sided Market Board instead of on cards...

Project Update #19 wrote:
An update on Inland Traders variant
Originally, this exciting expansion idea that Scott presented involved cards which provided a standing demand for goods that would be sold at a reduced profit. These were to be a set of a few cards that would provide a fallback if the market was ruthlessly ripped out from under your feet—you'd get reduced profit at the expense of increased predictability and options.

After a lot of back and forth, it was identified that the best way to get this into the game was to streamline it and incorporate it into the actual Market Board. Just as the characters sheets have a standard character on the back of each specialized character, the Market Board will now be double-sided as well. On one side, the volatile market we all know and love reigns supreme. On the other, that same dynamic market is joined by a demand for goods that just don't pay as well as the waterfront market.

...and I'm not sure how to visualize that. At first, I envisioned Inland traders as a motley collection of crusty merchants who each pulled their wagon towards the mountains as soon as someone filled it up (like the customer tiles in Village). Then, I thought of them as a caravan that showed up for a round, traded, and then left when a new caravan arrived on the next round (like the trading house tiles in San Juan).

As you can see, my ideas for this all revolve around the inland traders changing throughout the game. This seems to keep the spirit of Harbour, which is that markets fluctuate. Traders just give a second (less desirable) option for selling to help counteract the volatility of the market. So, if the inland traders are printed on the market board, will they ever shift (i.e. will there be some kind of marker that changes the preferred goods every buy or round), or will they be the same all game? Will they be generic (e.g. 3 of any one good and 2 of any other good) or specific (e.g. 2 livestock and 2 stone)?

Does anybody know more than I do, or care to speculate on what would be most beneficial to the game and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It was never intended to fluctuate throughout the game- in fact the goal was for it to be a stable source to trade resources at because the market itself is instable. It's recommended for higher-player-count games because the market moves a bit more from turn to turn, and the added stability can be desirable for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That clears things up in regards to intention. Thanks, Andy. It begs two questions, though:
1) If it was meant to be stable, why where there originally 4 trader cards planned for release?
2) How will the trader work in the final market board? Is it a simple 4 goods for $3, or something else?

Really looking forward to trying this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
That clears things up in regards to intention. Thanks, Andy. It begs two questions, though:
1) If it was meant to be stable, why where there originally 4 trader cards planned for release?

Because if people started with the final answer, solving problems wouldn't be any fun!
Quote:
2) How will the trader work in the final market board? Is it a simple 4 goods for $3, or something else?

Before shipping, you may sell 1 of each good (Stone, Wood, Livestock, and Fish) for $3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Because if people started with the final answer, solving problems wouldn't be any fun!

Point to Seth

sedjtroll wrote:
Before shipping, you may sell 1 of each good (Stone, Wood, Livestock, and Fish) for $3.

Thanks! I'll try it out in my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.