Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok basing it off the Wookieepedia description I decided to try my hand at this little ship I always found so interesting in the ccg.

Scout pilot
PS2
Attack 2
Agility 3
Hull 3
Shields 1
Actions: focus, barrel roll, evade, target lock
Upgrades: elite pilot talent
cost 20 pts

Unique version
Black squadron scout
PS4
Attack 2
Agility 3
Hull 3
Shields 1
Actions: focus, barrel roll, evade, target lock
Skill:
Action: may assign a free target lock action to a friendly ship within range 1-3.
Upgrades: elite pilot talent
cost 26 pts

Thoughts? Like it hate it. Feedback welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unique pilot abilities should be something that named pilot contributes, not a function the ship should be doing anyway. This is something I see a lot in customs, I never understand it, and I always think custom-makers are missing the point of the unique ace pilots.

I guess aside from balance questions on whether a stat-block ship like this is really worth 20 points, I don't see how/why the Vanguard stands out as a unique fighter here. Interceptors have speedy dials, TIE Fighters are cheap, Defenders are superior, Phantoms cloak, and so on. There's nothing here that makes the Vanguard as interesting as it needs to be for it to stand out.

Which honestly is a problem I see when bringing these 'spotter' and support craft into the game. It makes sense for the HWKs to have it based on the ability (Rebel strength plays to the unique personas) but I feel like for the Empire it needs to be equipment based.

So a system upgrade may not go amiss here, it's just that the current system upgrade slots really buff only the ship taking the action. On this vanguard it won't really be useful unless you want to have a slightly more maneuverable (Adv sensors) or harder to hit (Sens Jammer) blocker.

If not a new upgrade type for sensor-equipped ships, I can see the Vanguard having the coordinate and jam actions on large ships on their action bar. But it's going to be pretty crowded with the standard options that come in TIEs. Might have to eject the evade action to make room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Finney
United Kingdom
sheffield
S. Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a scout,shouldn't it have a sensors slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The unique's name is merely a place holder till I find or figure out a real name. I'm open too further suggestions & I did consider the jam/coordinate but I wasn' sure about assigning huge ship actions to a fighter. Also I did not want to create a whole new system just for one ship.

What about just making the unique PS2, dropping its points & keeping it as is? Then if I can find a named pilot somewhere who flew one of these give itthe jam action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:

If not a new upgrade type for sensor-equipped ships, I can see the Vanguard having the coordinate and jam actions on large ships on their action bar. But it's going to be pretty crowded with the standard options that come in TIEs. Might have to eject the evade action to make room.

I like this idea a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So pretty much a TIE Advanced costing 1 less with 1 less shield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to make this fighter stand out I think you'll have to use huge ship actions or make a new upgrade type, because this craft does not directly contribute to combat (by shooting). And right now, apart from huge ships, there are no mechanics in the game to hold up "supporting combat by means other than shooting", apart from the named pilots out of the HWK.

If you're going to give a ship the jam action, all of them need it. Again the precedent so far in X-Wing is that the only differences between the pilots are PIlot skills and abilities, but the cards overall reflect the craft that is being flown. The Outer Rim Smuggler is an exception, but apparently the only one, and I'd try to avoid it if possible. Set one ship type for generics and then consider what the aces could do with their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.