Subject: First player wins every time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Laubach
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
“A blade of grass is a commonplace on Earth; it would be a miracle on Mars. Our descendants on Mars will know the value of a patch of green. And if a blade of grass is priceless, what is the value of a human being?” -Carl Sagan
badge
I, for one, welcome our new feline overlords.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 4 times now. On the 3rd game, we noticed a pattern that the one who went first seemed to win, so on the 4th game the one who lost the 3rd game went first...and won.

The game-ending condition has varied (sometimes running out of goals, sometimes building 7 buildings). One of us tends to move every worker they have access to; the other strategizes which workers not to move. We have built a different combination & order of buildings each time.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Could you suggest strategies for how to break past the first-player advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess just tweaking the starting coins the 1st player has could break past any possible 1st player advantage. Reduce it to 1 coin instead of 2, perhaps, leaving player 2 to start with 3. Or have player 1 start with no coins, but player 2 start with 1 or 2...

I've certainly not noticed that the start player wins all the time (but I've not played it a whole load either, so that's hardly conclusive either). But I think 4 plays isn't enough to extrapolate that the game win is first-player advantaged.

So I'd just suggest to play it some more. If after a number more plays (say at least 16, meaning you've had 20 games, though the more the better, statistically) the start player has won way more than 50% of the games [and you are randomly assigning start player each game to keep any win/lose bias out of it], then I'd say there's something wrong in the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Laubach
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
“A blade of grass is a commonplace on Earth; it would be a miracle on Mars. Our descendants on Mars will know the value of a patch of green. And if a blade of grass is priceless, what is the value of a human being?” -Carl Sagan
badge
I, for one, welcome our new feline overlords.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough--we'll give it a go 16 more times (with the game rules as written) and I'll report back with our results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
Played once last night and got crushed by the 2nd player, hoping to get a few plays in tonight with my fiancé. But I don't think the first player has much advantage, if any at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once, and the second player won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garen Evans
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few rounds solitaire, and the second "player" won each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laboratory
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Because of Province's size, we were able to playtest it abnormal amount of times, and we've found that the chances of the first or second player winning are pretty much 50/50. If the first player gets the Mill, if the second player plays well, it's more than possible for them to get the Lender and Camp by the end of turn 2 or 3. The extra coin they start with is really empowering!

-Sam @ Laboratory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laboratory wrote:
Because of Province's size, we were able to playtest it abnormal amount of times, and we've found that the chances of the first or second player winning are pretty much 50/50. If the first player gets the Mill, if the second player plays well, it's more than possible for them to get the Lender and Camp by the end of turn 2 or 3. The extra coin they start with is really empowering!

-Sam @ Laboratory

Agreed with above. I've played 4 times with my wife since receiving it, and and she won three times from both the first and second player perspective. I think it's all about what buildings you buy and what you leave your opponent (or DON'T leave them) with on the resource track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Kleihege
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I think it is easier for the first player to win until you get the experience to start realizing the strategies present in the game. If you follow the lead of the first player, you tend to not get as many VPs from buildings. You need to grab the initiative in the buildings and be the first to build rather than a Johnny come lately builder who gets no VPs. The other thing is to manage the Meeples better. Don't move a meeple just to move a meeple. If you don't need the extra labor, don't move a meeple that your opponent can also move. This makes it much better for the second player and things will even out as you get more experience in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.