Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the Board Game Designers Forum. Re-post here to gather more feedback.

I have an idea of creating a guild card game that players compete each other to become the top guild. I haven't decided the victory condition yet, either victory points or secret objective. Players have the choice to complete their goal by mission, trade, craft, etc. Players have a handful of action cards to determine their action. Each action players can assign up to 3 characters for the task. Characters are not available for further action until they are "Rest" (one of the action card). Each character have race and class (standard like Human, Elf, etc. and Fighter, Mage, etc.). Each race and class has passive ability and active ability that players can use. Also there will be items for player to acquire to boost their power.

This is the basic concept of the game, of course there are more. My question is anyone know any games in the market that are similar to this? I want to review some of those and make sure that I didn't "copy" their ideas.

Thanks! Also any suggestion and comment are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say to first make your game uninfluenced by other similar games.

Once you have your core game complete and tested, then go ahead and look around at similar games to help fix any holes or issues with your game or to tweak features you deem too similar to others.

Even if a game appears to be very close to another, there are usually quite a few distinguishing differences so I wouldn't worry about accidentally copying another game completely.

This is just my opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ferguson
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I second what Greg said. Make the game you want to make. Then if you need to look at other games to see how they resolved an issue you are running into its fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.