Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
SON OF A BITCH MUST PAY
mbmbmbmbmb
On the story cards where it says that certain players can use an action to declare "Last Call" what type of action is that?

I know it's written that if you're doing a story goal that requires you to specifically do something like negotiate or misbehave that it uses a work action, but in the case of "Last Call" it just says "use an action"

Does this mean that declaring Last Call is a special one-off action that you can do on your turn? So I would be OK to do a work action and then declare Last Call in the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is not an action at all - in that it is not something your crew does, but something the player does. Or, if you like, an additional, free action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazbowski wrote:
On the story cards where it says that certain players can use an action to declare "Last Call" what type of action is that?

I know it's written that if you're doing a story goal that requires you to specifically do something like negotiate or misbehave that it uses a work action, but in the case of "Last Call" it just says "use an action"

Does this mean that declaring Last Call is a special one-off action that you can do on your turn? So I would be OK to do a work action and then declare Last Call in the same turn?

I have a recollection it was declaring that you could win, and were cashing out. The other players then get one last turn each to try and beat you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazbowski wrote:

It's my understanding that the "Last Call" Action is nondescript so that it can be used in combination with any other Action without fear of duplicating any on your turn. So you could Fly, Deal, Buy or Work as your first action and then declare "Last Call" as your second.

The 'Morale Booster' ability that you find on some Crew also works the same. It still uses 'an Action' of your two that turn, but won't conflict with another you choose.

Ultimately, yes, you could use a Work Action (handily tying up that last Job and earning some money) before declaring "Last Call". The risk is that by doing so, you've used up an Action and others have a full two Actions on their final turn to try and beat your total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:

Ultimately, yes, you could use a Work Action (handily tying up that last Job and earning some money) before declaring "Last Call". The risk is that by doing so, you've used up an Action and others have a full two Actions on their final turn to try and beat your total.

As opposed to what? Using last call as a first on your next turn and giving everyone an extra action then? No matter when you use it, you're out one action compared to your opponents, but you have the advantage of determining pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

As opposed to what? Using last call as a first on your next turn and giving everyone an extra action then? No matter when you use it, you're out one action compared to your opponents, but you have the advantage of determining pace.

Yes, I'm well aware. I was just further clarifying that:
- It is not a free action.
- Because of that, it's helpful to be aware of how others stand compared to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

Yes, I'm well aware. I was just further clarifying that:
- It is not a free action.
- Because of that, it's helpful to be aware of how others stand compared to you.

Well if everyone follows your advice then the game will never end arrrh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not advice, it's just a warning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
It's not advice, it's just a warning!

Well if everyone follows your advice warning then the game will never end ninja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Slightly off from the main discussion, we've talked about the fact that Last Call can feel a little anti-climactic and have toyed with the idea of making it more like a "standard" Goal, where you maybe need to be in a certain place to declare last call (maybe something as broad as the location of a Solid contact) and/or you need to make a skill test of some kind of "declare" yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do that, it needs to be a free action. Losing an action is painful enough, but losing an action for no gain is brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or just be sure you can do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly has something in common with many games - you play the game, building up gradually, then suddenly someone makes a break for victory and there's a fairly brief endgame. With the Work-Goal Stories, the endgame starts when someone completes the first Goal - usually, once you have the Crew/Gear to pass the first Goal, you can tackle the remaining Goals easily enough too.

Last Call is just a bit more explicit about one player getting to declare the endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.