Heroica: Draida» Forums » Variants

Subject: Draida base with extra rooms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt McGinnes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my son fast approaching 5 years old, I thought it was high time to introduce him to the joys of Fantasy RPGing, using a medium he is already accustomed to - LEGO.
I have been holding onto the now discontinued Heroica range for just this purpose. Unopened in mint condition of course. arrrh

He built the standard map, and we played a few games.
First was each of us as a character with static monsters.
The second play was him as both hero's and myself as the monsters, and the third play was myself as the hero's and him as the monsters.

I quickly worked out a new fighting system after he complained about it being too easy:
Attacker rolls, then defender rolls.
If the Attacker is higher, then the defender takes damage.
If the Defender is higher, the attack is successfully parried and no damage is taken.
If both are the same, then roll again.

(In keeping with Draida as a stand alone game, there are no special moves. Once I begin to introduce him to experience and character levels then I will refine the roll-to-attack with modifiers.)

We then set about using our LEGO supply to build some new rooms for the adventure.

My son wanted to open and close the waterfall bridge, so we incorporated a lever. We extended that theme to another bridge, and I made a map that requires the Hero player to back track to advance through the map.

After the first play through, it became obvious that there weren't enough monsters, so I decided that if the Monster player rolled the Heroica shield, they could spawn a new monster in an unoccupied room instead of moving. With this small addition, the difficulty of the next two plays was greatly increased. Our last game ended with my Barbarian dying on the Lava Bridge with a goblin on either side!laugh

The map view shows the complete layout. The Hero player must pull the red Lava lever to close the waterfall bridge, and then venture past the waterfall and through the frog infested swamp to the temple. Inside the temple is the lever that closes the overhead Lava Bridge that allows the Hero's access to the cave of the goblin leader and his large chest of treasure.

This LEGO game system is one of the most fun RPG experiences I have ever encountered - there is nothing else anywhere near as modular. Its a real shame that LEGO has stopped supporting it, but we will make sure it doesn't disappear anytime soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, LEGO did a terrible job with Heroica. There is so much more they could have done, but now there's no chance since they cancelled all board games.

But glad you'll be keeping it alive and having lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray!

I've actually been playing Draida with my daughter, who is a little over three and a half years old. She loves it!

The first couple of games we went really basic with the rules, but with the last few I added in the getting pushed back rule and she's still enjoying playing a game with Daddy.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the game part of these sets when they originally came out, but they work really well with young kids, I'm seeing, and of course who can argue with LEGO brick quality?

(I tried her on the minotaur maze game, but Rose has trouble seeing the studs that are the spaces. I might try a little paint to make them more clear - this is an advantage of the spaces that the Heroica games use.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.