Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo
Italy
Arezzo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hi everyone!
i've owned lewis & clark since its release and i'm quite happy with it.
I'm interested in concordia but, reading some stuff about it, i'm afraid it plays similar to lewis & clark, since they're both deck building game...
i'd like to know if they're very similar or different enough to stay in my collection.
and another thing: what about Trajan? i love ancient rome, so this is another game i would like to play... if i could only buy one between concordia and trajan, what do you think would be the best choice?
Thanks in advance,
regards,
Pablo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan.
It is a very different beast from Lewis & Clark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark lets you use the symbols on the other person's cards every time you play a resource card with that symbol, or let you re-use a card by paying a buffalo and using the board space; in Concordia, there are specific cards that allow the copying of a card.

Concordia is not a race, you can fan out in every direction. There's of course the difference between scoring and an immediate end in L&C.

We really enjoy Concordia and I wouldn't get rid of it just because we haev L&C, but I can't judge what "too similar" is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Feld game, I'd say that Trajan is to Rome as to anything else. Feld is not famous for his strong themes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablo83 wrote:
hi everyone!
I'm interested in concordia but, reading some stuff about it, i'm afraid it plays similar to lewis & clark, since they're both deck building game...
i'd like to know if they're very similar or different enough to stay in my collection.
and another thing: what about Trajan? i love ancient rome, so this is another game i would like to play... if i could only buy one between concordia and trajan, what do you think would be the best choice?
Thanks in advance,
regards,
Pablo
Why not check out the Rahdo Runs Through for Concordia? You can see it played and that should tell you whether it's a purchase for you or not based on how similar it is to L&C

Rahdo Runs Through... Concordia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pablo83 wrote:
hi everyone!

Looks like you've been reading the review section in Mr Wibbley's Book of Fairies Dreams. I own both games and I don't believe they share any tangible similarities in game play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
pablo83 wrote:
hi everyone!

Looks like you've been reading the review section in Mr Wibbley's Book of Fairies Dreams. I own both games and I don't believe they share any tangible similarities in game play at all.

They do actually share one obvious mechanic which feels similar in each game. You play actions by playing cards from your hand until you decide to play an action which lets you draw all of your cards back into your hand to play again. You also increase the number of actions as well as acquire new more powerful actions by buying new cards from the display in much the same way. There is a row of cards to choose from and they get progressively less expensive the longer they have been out on display.

Some of the details of how the mechanic works in each game is quite different though and the rest of the game is nothing alike at all so I don't think there is any reason not to own both.

Having said that, Trajan is an excellent game which shares none of the mechanics and would probably be my choice if I could only choose one of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Elitist!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pablo83 wrote:
hi everyone!
Thanks in advance,
regards,
Pablo

Concordia is great... get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
pablo83 wrote:
hi everyone!

well, they both have this handbuilding aspect (rokoko is the third game I know about which has something similiar.) But it plays quite differently.

- L&C is a race, Concordia ends after one of 2 endgameconditions are triggered but has a victorypoint scoring

- In L&C you buy new cards because they have cool new effects; in concordia the new cards are nearly identical to the old ones, you buy them because they give you points and it makes it easier if you want to use some actions more often than others

- L&C is mostly about timing - you want fo use your cards when you can use the ressourcesymbols of your opponent best, you have to plan exactly how any ressorces and workers you have when you build your camp. In Concordia the disadvantages for taking your cards back before you have used all are much less significant so it is easier to take them back if you need a special card soon, your income is not dependent of the cards the others have played but depends on the position on the board - so concordia is more about strategical placement than about timing.

- personally I feel that concordia is a bit easier which leads to a faster gameplay with less downtime. (I don't have to plan the future in detail, while in in L&C the fact that I have to use up cards to power others and that I have to spend most of the ressources before you build your camp makes it quite brainburning)

I like both games and think that they play very differently.

For Trajan: As others mentioned - if it is mostly the theme you are interested in than you propably find a load full of other games which have a stronger roman theme. The main mechanic (the manacla) is very interesting and using it to its best is a great puzzle to solve. But it is surrounded by many unconnected minigames which are not that interesting. Our group felt the game was too dry (and I'm usually not that much a sucker for strong theme). But it has a huge fanbase so don't give too much in what I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All they have in common is their action selection mechanism, which makes them about as similar as Puerto Rico and Twilight Imperium 3, which also have the same action selection mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
personally I feel that concordia is a bit easier which leads to a faster gameplay with less downtime. (I don't have to plan the future in detail, while in in concordia the fact that I have to use up cards to power others and that I have to spend most of the ressources before you build your camp makes it quite brainburning)
Say whaaaat?! I don't understand this at all - did you swap which game you were talking about halfway through the sentence? "In Concordia... Use up cards to power others... spend resources before you build your camp..."???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
personally I feel that concordia is a bit easier which leads to a faster gameplay with less downtime. (I don't have to plan the future in detail, while in in concordia the fact that I have to use up cards to power others and that I have to spend most of the ressources before you build your camp makes it quite brainburning)
Say whaaaat?! I don't understand this at all - did you swap which game you were talking about halfway through the sentence? "In Concordia... Use up cards to power others... spend resources before you build your camp..."???

Ooops - sry, you are right. edited the post above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2 things I like better about Concordia are; you don't get punished. In L&C you get punished for not managing your hand correctly and I don't like having to do everything perfect just so I can move up two spaces on the river. Second, there is hidden scoring in Concordia and scoring depends on which cards you have drafted throughout the game. In L&C it is usually obvious who the winner will be, but in Concordia it is always a surprise and the underdog can swiftly make a comeback. We have have both in our game group and we play Concordia much more regularly than L&C because it is less punishing and ultimately more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those three Trajan is the best. Concordia is very good though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo
Italy
Arezzo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for having answered my question!
I watched some reviews of Trajan and i gesso it Could be too heavy for my group. Guess i'll pick Concordia
Thanks again,
You ve been very helpful!
Pablo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.